What year is this Explorer?

Saw this Explorer today but couldn’t identify the model year. Anyone know?

2DA7FB8E-52F6-4564-B2F3-630C78739054.jpeg

I think that's correct, and that generation I believe had a very very poor reliability reputation. Especially the transmissions.

I think that's correct, and that generation I believe had a very very poor reliability reputation. Especially the transmissions.
The only "real" (read expensive) reliability issue was the fact some idiot engineer thought it would be a good idea to put a timing chain on the back of the SOHC V6 engine (optional from 97-00, standard there after) requiring the engine to be pulled to change. Same engineers so would have it didn't engineer reliable timing chain guides SO when they start to get loose, make noise and give up the ghost for most people they become throw away vehicles due to the cost of taking the engine out and putting it back in (we are talking 1997-2005 vehicles between the sport and sport Trac explorers). You can avoid that my sticking to 95-01' ohv explorers which will easily go beyond 300k miles without opening the engine if taken care of.
The transmissions aren't particularly problematic and usually make it 200-250k which is in line with most ford/gm truck automatics of the era.

The horror stories involving the rear timing chains fiasco kept me from buying an '01-11 Ranger. I've had a minor wind fall and 5K$ is gonna get wasted on making the Rat road worthy.

The horror stories involving the rear timing chains fiasco kept me from buying an '01-11 Ranger. I've had a minor wind fall and 5K$ is gonna get wasted on making the Rat road worthy.
$5k will not make any Rat road-worthy these days. If you had a Mouse, maybe, but Rats are the sworn enemy of the sElected guy…

$5k will not make any Rat road-worthy these days. If you had a Mouse, maybe, but Rats are the sworn enemy of the sElected guy…
Probably not. J B has a Sting Ray with push rods. The Rat is a '94. Maybe,I'll drop its patina laden body on a Prius power train It is old enough to get antique plates :cool:

Back