What would you do...shipping...

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I am putting a spin on this....
I know in my mind what is right, but I need you to tell me what you think is right. You are the seller here!

You sell me...
Car parts that cost $100.
Insured shipping by priority mail is $15.

You send them out the same day double boxed, and I get the tracking number.
Three days later tracking indicates they were delivered to my rural mailbox. Success.

I the buyer email you and say I never got it.
You tell me it is insured.
You file a claim and appeal, and USPS says it was delivered so they deny both claims.

I the buyer continue to email you telling you that you owe me either my money back or the merchandise.
Afterall, you took my money.

So, the buyer paid with PayPal, so you give him the dispute process and say let them handle it.
They also deny the claim because it was delivered.

In the end I was a new customer with no track record with you the seller.
I insist you need to make it right.

At this point what do you do as the seller because the buyer will never be happy until you take the loss.

Sounds like a porch pirate took the package after it was delivered. What can the seller do about that? A new thing I have noticed in the last year or so is that delivery companies take a picture of the delivered item sitting on the porch (or where ever it was placed ) to prove delivery. I think the post office does this too in my area. Anyway it sounds like a police report should be filed and an insurance claim filed.

I know in my mind what is right, but I need you to tell me what you think is right. You are the seller here!

You sell me...

Three days later tracking indicates they were delivered to my rural mailbox. Success.

You file a claim and appeal, and USPS says it was delivered so they deny both claims.

I the buyer continue to email you telling you that you owe me either my money back or the merchandise.

So, the buyer paid with PayPal, so you give him the dispute process and say let them handle it.

At this point what do you do as the seller because the buyer will never be happy until you take the loss.
I would ask the buyer to file a police report and then I'll ask eBay what to do with it. We do have a lot of mail thieves and this actually happens to my package once (police found an empty bag with my address on it on the street along with a bunch of other stolen items packages).

I would ask the buyer to file a police report and then I'll ask eBay what to do with it. We do have a lot of mail thieves and this actually happens to my package once (police found an empty bag with my address on it on the street along with a bunch of other stolen items packages).

If this is eBay, no need to get involved. Upload tracking that shows it was delivered to the case and you're done. eBay will usually refund the buyer at their expense.

From the description it sounds like the buyer was aware of the terms and conditions. In this instance, the seller has done all that is reasonable and fair to sell their goods. As a buyer you know there is a 3rd party involved, the shipping company. As long as the seller did their part, in good faith, seller has no obligation past this point.

The fun and potential expenses of selling online. Amazon mostly resends and eats the expense as it is a cost of their business. Shoot, they do not even want some of the returns back as it is less expensive on some items to just eat the cost of what was sent already.

If a possibly fraudulent $115 expense on occasion is a killer, then the business plan may need to be reevaluated.

The default is that goods are sold FOB the seller's location. This means that once the seller places them in the hands of a common carrier, title passes to the buyer and buyer assumes all risk of loss or damage.

You sell me...

Are you worried about your seller rating getting too low? If I sold on Ebay that wouldn't matter to me. If the customer leaves a bad review you can write a rebuttal explaining the situation and blaming it on porch pirates / USPS.

Are you worried about your seller rating getting too low? If I sold on Ebay that wouldn't matter to me. If the customer leaves a bad review you can write a rebuttal explaining the situation and blaming it on porch pirates / USPS.
No I sell from my own website.
Been at it for over 4 decades.
I used to take all losses but got tired of the nonsense it brings.
In todays world if I pay out for things that are not my fault they go to forums and tell each other just say you never got it and he will make good. Been there and done that. All of a sudden nobody gets anything....trust me.

No I sell from my own website.
Been at it for over 4 decades.
I used to take all losses but got tired of the nonsense it brings.
In todays world if I pay out for things that are not my fault they go to forums and tell each other just say you never got it and he will make good. Been there and done that. All of a sudden nobody gets anything....trust me.
That's a tough spot to be in, I guess like @Jimmy_Russells stated, probably best to add signature delivery and fully place the burden on the purchaser. I think its an extra $1.30 with the USPS, just pass the price increase to the consumer. :unsure:

That's a tough spot to be in, I guess like @Jimmy_Russells stated, probably best to add signature delivery and fully place the burden on the purchaser. I think its an extra $1.30 with the USPS, just pass the price increase to the consumer. :unsure:
So true but they scream and holler
no signature and the reasons are many. I do agree though.

The default is that goods are sold FOB the seller's location. This means that once the seller places them in the hands of a common carrier, title passes to the buyer and buyer assumes all risk of loss or damage.
Okay perhaps from a private on-line seller, assuming the buyer understands and accepts this risk. The issue is that the big guys do not pass that risk to the purchaser. Even if the purchaser understands and accepts this risk when the purchase is made, nothing will stop him or her from forgetting that risk if the package does not make its way to them. It is not easy for the private seller these days.

I sold a quite expensive camera lens on ebay before Christmas, shipped it USPS Priority with 500$ insurance and Signature required.

The Buyer contacted me stating he got the lens. But "it was just dropped in front of his garage door outside, hmmm."
He mentioned his daughter was home and no one rang the door bell ( she says ).
Thankfully the package was delivered intact- but not following endpoint protocol.

This is also where i came to detest the snide and snarky "hmmm"

for a non delivered package I talk to the "senior" person at my post office, in person, They seem eager to assist.
My postman woman always delivers parcels to my door - unless it is in a smallish padded envelope.
Many times I am up on on my roof shoveling it off. She seems amused by that. - Ken

Last edited:
?

The policy should be that if they want it sent with no signature required, they take the hit if it gets lost or stolen
That is the policy and like other policies you have to agree to those before you place an order.
That said when things go bad it is always the sender's fault in the eyes of the buyer. Always...
I can't think of one customer that did not try to pin the loss on me. It is always my fault-lol

Back