What would make a car smell like a small 2 stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was behind a WRX a couple nights ago in the city and its exhaust smelled exactly like a lawnmower or snowblower small engine, which I believe are 99.99% of the time 2 stroke engines. Question is, what would make a car smell like that?

Most lawnmowers and snowblowers are four-stroke. Smaller equipment like string trimmers are mostly two-stroke.

Did it smell like it was burning oil, or just very rich because of a performance tune? On a WRX, either is certainly possible.

Heck,take away the water cooling and a Subaru is close akin to a lawnmower... lol

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Heck,take away the water cooling and a Subaru is close akin to a lawnmower... lol
I think a reliable AWD system, which Subie seems to have, is a good feature, especially up here in the frozen... 33 degrees this AM...but that ENGINE layout I just don't get. For your average Subie SUV driver does the "better handling" (ha!) matter? BTW, let me add that my favorite bike is my BMW flat 2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Gutted/removed CAT converters, hi performance tune, beat on uses some oil.

Most of the WRXs here, have removed or gutted converters and tunes. You can hear them from a long ways away. If the owners are smart, they would do what I always did and buy offroad pipes so you don't ruin converters when smog time comes.

Easy way to tell for no cats, besides the higher volume and smell, is flames from the exhaust. Generally cars with cats will not shoot flames.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I was behind a WRX a couple nights ago in the city and its exhaust smelled exactly like a lawnmower or snowblower small engine, which I believe are 99.99% of the time 2 stroke engines. Question is, what would make a car smell like that?

It's that 'what would Wellstone do' sticker on your Subie. Seems to be all the rage in this liberal armpit of a state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back