What weed trimmer for my mom?

I don't have any experience with them other than a used Black and Decker I bought my ex last year. It wouldn't hurt to check marketplace. The one I got her was basically brand new for $25 and came with two batteries, charger, and string. It was nice and light. I liked it so much I used it for my whole yard before going to her house haha. I picked up a DeWalt battery trimmer at Tractor Supply just to see how it felt and was surprised how heavy it felt compared to my 2-cycle Makita trimmer from the early 90's.

Are your parents already using a particular power tool battery platform? I went with a DeWalt 20v trimmer because I was already running in that ecosystem for other tools. If they aren't tied to anything yet, I would suggest looking for the lightest battery that will cover the needed endurance for the application. I can manage the DeWalt fine, but I'd worry about it being a bit top-end heavy for my mom.
I have the Dewalt 20V trimmer. It works fairly well, has 2 speed settings and variable speed. I also have a number of the commercial grade Echo 21cc and 26cc trimmers. The Dewalt does not cut as fast as it's larger cousins, taking longer to do a heavy job, and is not as easy to modulate as the gas ones. But it is quite powerful, very light with any of the smaller 20V batteries, and runs long enough for the average yard.

And therein lies the advantage here. You can use an exceptionally light 2 or 3 AH battery with good results.

DCST925B_2.jpg

if she wants something light my 85 year old grandma would use this ryobi.. I had to buy her more batteries she went at it for hour(s).. at 85.

Ryobi batteries are the cheapest around if they need any other tools.
I love the 3gal shop vac for small messes.
2pack of 4ah high power batteries 99 with charger at home depot.(sale)
usual price of 2-4ah reg batteries is also 99$ at home depot.

Otherwise the greenworks 80volt line.. the costco one has 8yr battery warranty.

I've been satisfied with my dewalt 20v trimmer except the bump advance broke after 2 years (new part costs about $30)
but would only recommend it to someone that already has the batteries.. otherwise its mediocre.

I also find the dewalt easier to maneuver vs my gas craftsman and I get nice even trims.
it has 2 speeds low is enough for grass.. and high is for overgrown areas.. it also has a variable trigger(throttle)
1.5ah batteries are not big enough IMO need 3ah or bigger. I use some old 5ah batteries and if its fully charged I usually have around half left.

Unless I didnt trim for a long time I only use the gas trimmer for edging now. (edging attachment)

Any of the electrics will have 1/10 the noise and even less vibration so much nicer to use.

Last edited:
I really like my EGO.

If she wants no hassle and easy to use, this is it.

Automatic line feed and even has a power-wind feature to wind the string onto the head. You just push a button.

I also bought their 765CFM blower, 2 batteries, and a quick charger.

Both are very powerful.

Pricey, but I think they We’re worth it.

I bought a STIHL electric trimmer for my daughter a few years ago and she loves it. It’s light weight and it gets the job done in one go, no worries about the battery draining at all. There have been no issues with it since new.
I can’t remember what model it is, but I’m going over there tomorrow and I’ll snap a picture of it. When it comes to weed-eaters (gas and electric), and chainsaws,….STIHL is the way to go IMO. I have an old FS-85 that runs like new, she’ll shred whatever you put the string to. 🍻

I have the Dewalt 20V trimmer. It works fairly well, has 2 speed settings and variable speed. I also have a number of the commercial grade Echo 21cc and 26cc trimmers. The Dewalt does not cut as fast as it's larger cousins, taking longer to do a heavy job, and is not as easy to modulate as the gas ones. But it is quite powerful, very light with any of the smaller 20V batteries, and runs long enough for the average yard.

And therein lies the advantage here. You can use an exceptionally light 2 or 3 AH battery with good results.

DCST925B_2.jpg
This year will be season 5 for mine with the original battery. Still works great with no fade in the battery.

I picked up a Stihl FSA57 today as it was on sale $50.00 off. Charging the battery now.

I like that is USA made 🇺🇸

That is probably the newer model that replaces the FSA56. As I stated in an earlier post, I purchased the FSA56 for my Daughter a few years ago. (I couldn’t remember the model when I posted though)
She is very happy with it and it will trim up her entire yard with no worries of the battery giving up on her. It has been trouble free for the entire time that she’s had it and it only weighs 7.5lbs if I remember correctly.
Anyway, It looks as if @skyactiv’s Mom has made a purchase already, but I did say that I would snap a picture of it today since I was going over there. She was actually using it when I got there. I hope that it works out for you as well as her FSA56 has worked for her. 🍻

My Grandson standing next to it for size comparison. 😏

0232EC64-46AF-405D-9108-7A0C6739D555.jpeg
41ECB3D1-EA28-4488-B95D-C503564CAF4A.jpeg

At some point this week I will use it. Raining today. I have a Ecoh SRM 225. I wanted something a bit lighter hence the Stihl. I had a Craftsman battery trimmer a few years ago and it was a piece of garbage. I think I will like this one.

Back