What weed trimmer for my mom?

My mom wants to share in the grass cutting with my dad by doing the trim work and asked what trimmer she should buy since I'm a CR subscriber.
I won't suggest gas. My dad uses a gas mower. 1/4 acre lot. Mom is spry, but easily frustrated and wants something that works and not something that needs fiddled with every use.

I bought a Greenworks 80v trimmer and blower from Costco last year. They've been awesome, and the trimmer is much easier to carry around the yard. It's also really quiet, which I like. I would not hesitate to buy that brand again.

I bought a Greenworks 80v trimmer and blower from Costco last year. They've been awesome, and the trimmer is much easier to carry around the yard. It's also really quiet, which I like. I would not hesitate to buy that brand again.
I have the same but I would think the 40v would be a better choice for a lady. Very light and handy and good power.

My mom wants to share in the grass cutting with my dad by doing the trim work and asked what trimmer she should buy since I'm a CR subscriber.
I won't suggest gas. My dad uses a gas mower. 1/4 acre lot. Mom is spry, but easily frustrated and wants something that works and not something that needs fiddled with every use.

Does you dad have a battery platform? Milwaukee/ Makita?

I can wholly recommend the Makita 36V system.

Are your parents already using a particular power tool battery platform? I went with a DeWalt 20v trimmer because I was already running in that ecosystem for other tools. If they aren't tied to anything yet, I would suggest looking for the lightest battery that will cover the needed endurance for the application. I can manage the DeWalt fine, but I'd worry about it being a bit top-end heavy for my mom.

I agree with the others about choosing a battery platform and buy that brand. Then, they can expand as needed. No need to dissect the best performance/features per our OCD style here. All of the major brands work good enough for homeowner use. Even the less expensive Ryobi lineup is good enough - they have the caveat of keeping their battery mount system consistent over the decades.

EDIT: I would not choose Porter Cable as the battery platform.

The dewalt is a great trimmer.

I couldn't do anything with the batteries though, and it's not a powerhead but a lone tool so I lose the flexibility of the hedge trimmer and pole saw attachments.

The Dewalt I posted is universal attachment capable. The 60V batteries only fit their OPE
Cool - newer unit than Ive seen tested, or prior test never mentioned it was a powerhead.

Curious is it a cable or a shaft?

My WORX GT trimmer is now six years old. Two original battery still charge up fully. I get about 5 trims per charge. The replacement spools of trimmer line are reasonably priced. I hear the new one is even better.

Sky, if she isn'r adverse to using a 50 foot extension cord something like this is perfect.. even though I have a gas trimmer my wife if she is ambitious enogh to trim uses a electric along these lines. they also come in cordless now, but I think it really depends on how often and how much a person uses the device and if they want the battery charging or dont mind a cord.

Here you go...comfort grip..no string..no batteries..and light weight... bullet proof. That is what my father handed out to us in the late 60s but ours was super low quality..lol

Screenshot_20230429-120955~2.jpg

If you want battery, I'd go with Dewalt.
I have been transitioning to Dewalt for some time with all my BPE. Have been happy with everything.
If you do decide to recommend gas powered, recommend Echo.
Only recommend Stihl if you have an intense dislike for your mother.

Back