What was your first 'good' bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a long journey ... Somewhere around 7 I got a used rusty 20" single speed (1955). Somewhere around 9 (1957) I got a brand new Schwinn Varsity three speed with front brake, chrome fenders, candy apple red paint, etc. I just sold that chassis last week. Rode that thing in various changed modes for ever. Rode it the last time about three years ago.

Raleigh Grand Prix 26 when I was living part time in 'Frisco and rode with buds and the Kezar Cycling Club - roughly around 1969. That one was sold to another bud ten years later who had it stolen about five years after he took possession. Moss green with Rigida rims added.

Trek 2000 (aluminum frame) that I rebuilt from a basket case missing pedals and seat, given to me by a co-worker maybe ten years ago, maybe longer ... Got it running well in a few weeks, and been riding it ever since. Still tinkering on that bike. Just spent two days with it in Mendocino riding park trails last weekend. Prolly go to my grave still owning that one ...

Currently selling my mid-1970's Peugeot du Monde Record 14 speed as I write this. Just don't do serious road bikes anymore. At my age, bent over and hunched down is not comfy for any amount of time. Neither are skinny high pressure tires.

Also have a Trek Antelope that I salvaged from abandonment with the chain rusted solid at a bike rack at a closed school. Prolly a teachers assistants bike that got left when they changed jobs. Pretty sorry, but came back together well enough. It's a back-up and for visitors.

Newest project is a 1997 K2 Pro-Flex Beast (aluminum frame with CF swing arm) with Marzocchi Marathon air forks, Fox rear air shock, Race Face crankset, Mavic wheels (26") and 21-speeds (got it for $100
smile.gif
). It'll be getting built as an e-Bike. Maybe mid-drive, maybe rear hub ... Definitely sine wave controller, advanced PAS, etc. Not for mountains/downhill (too old to get off hard) and not for speed (have motorcycles if I want to go quick), but for trail riding in the parks quietly with some extra gear (lunch, cameras, etc.) and not having to pump like crazy on those uphill stretches
smile.gif

Prolly be in a chair before I give up bicycles ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back