What was Valvoline thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is GODLESS COMMMUUNNNIIISSSMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, Valvoline is nothing more than a conspiracy to keep you away from God's own motor oil.... Peak.

Now back to our regularly scheduled rebates!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: JLTD
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Mobil is superior

Brainwashed.

Says the man with the Amsoil logo splattered all over his signature.

If you read my signature for content instead of just looking at the pretty colors, you'd have noticed that Amsoil is my current fill. Perhaps if you'd read a little more on the site, you'd know that I'm trying it to extend intervals.

If my current fill was Mobil 1, I'd have THAT in my signature. With pretty color. Just for you.

FermeLaPorte is always "Mobil 1 is the best, there IS NO OTHER OIL"; apparently he is unable to fathom another oil in his sump; which is why I consider him brainwashed.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: jongies3
I don't see why it's more expensive than regular M1 or PP. It's not marketed as a long drain oil or anything, but is priced like one! For what reason?

SynPower or Valvoline Advanced Synthetic or whatever it's called this week is the same price as M1... what are you talking about?

Regular retail price at Walmart:
Pennzoil Plat...$27
Castrol Edge....$27
Mobil1..........$26
Valvoline Syn...$24
Quaker St Syn...$19

So tell me what fool pays the regular price except those people whose planning ability ends at their nose?

Hi JohnnyJohnson, the reason for this post was more so intended to show apples to apples. Too often people see brandX on role back and say, "see, brandX is the cheaper oil." The role back prices drop in relation to regular price per-say. My affinity for Valvoline isn't because i think it's better than anything else.

Premium Conventional -> Daily Protection. [censored] is that supposed to mean? What if I want Weekly Protection or Monthly Protection?
SynPower -> Advanced Synthetic. Yes, let's ditch a memorable name we've been using for years for something generic and boring.
Modern Engine. Uh, what's that supposed to mean? Does that mean that "Advanced Synthetic" isn't suitable for a new car. Come on, both are D1G2 so basically the same. I get it, they're trying to compete with M1AP but what about SynPower Annual? Wait so should we call Maxlife syn blend 6-Monthly Protection?

Sure, Mobil has a lot of different oils too... Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 High Mileage, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage, Mobil 1 Annual Protection... but at least the names at least sort of make sense?

I very much like Valvoline products and not really a fan of Mobil but it seems branding and advertising and naming products is Valvoline's weak point. Castrol has it down too... Magnatec, Edge, Edge HM, Edge EP...

This reminds me of GM - decent cars, excellent trucks, terrible advertising. (It's my opinion that) GM makes better trucks than Ford and Dodge but Ford and Dodge both are way better at marketing.

Oh, and I work at a parts store and Valvoline boxes are weirdly designed and hard to break down.

I know it's only your opinion, but, IMO, I wouldn't be placing GM trucks at the top of the heap.
I was a GM Truck guy since I was 16 yrs old but once I purchased my 2013 Ram, it will be a long time before I am ever back in a GM.

My last, 09 Sierra, was, by far, the worst POS I have ever driven! It came with the 5.3 which, after 2,000 kms, started clacking like a diesel.
Engine was replaced at 8,000 kms due to an out of round #2 cylinder.
The list of other issues, despite being a gutless POS, was as long as my arm, and then some!

A couple guys at work suggested a Ram, to which I snickered, but after listening to their stories over and over again I decided to take one for a test drive.
Long story short, in a matter of days I was trading my 09 Sierra, that still had warranty, in on one and I haven't looked back since.
The power this Hemi has over that 5.3 simply embarrasses it. It has no lag, hesitation and actually gets you up to hwy speed without having to rug it all the time.
As a bonus it gets just as good if not better MPG than that 5.3 but has twice the power easily despite what GM claims.
I purchased the 09 in the LTZ trim option as I had hoped to keep it for at least 10 yrs but after 3+ agonizing years, I was glad to get rid of it and then some!

This Ram, even today, still puts a huge smile on my face.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I don't see why it's more expensive than regular M1 or PP. It's not marketed as a long drain oil or anything, but is priced like one! For what reason?

SynPower or Valvoline Advanced Synthetic or whatever it's called this week is the same price as M1... what are you talking about?

It's $10 more a jug here.

Originally Posted By: irv
Premium Conventional -> Daily Protection. [censored] is that supposed to mean? What if I want Weekly Protection or Monthly Protection?
SynPower -> Advanced Synthetic. Yes, let's ditch a memorable name we've been using for years for something generic and boring.
Modern Engine. Uh, what's that supposed to mean? Does that mean that "Advanced Synthetic" isn't suitable for a new car. Come on, both are D1G2 so basically the same. I get it, they're trying to compete with M1AP but what about SynPower Annual? Wait so should we call Maxlife syn blend 6-Monthly Protection?

Sure, Mobil has a lot of different oils too... Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 High Mileage, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage, Mobil 1 Annual Protection... but at least the names at least sort of make sense?

I very much like Valvoline products and not really a fan of Mobil but it seems branding and advertising and naming products is Valvoline's weak point. Castrol has it down too... Magnatec, Edge, Edge HM, Edge EP...

This reminds me of GM - decent cars, excellent trucks, terrible advertising. (It's my opinion that) GM makes better trucks than Ford and Dodge but Ford and Dodge both are way better at marketing.

Oh, and I work at a parts store and Valvoline boxes are weirdly designed and hard to break down.

I know it's only your opinion, but, IMO, I wouldn't be placing GM trucks at the top of the heap.
I was a GM Truck guy since I was 16 yrs old but once I purchased my 2013 Ram, it will be a long time before I am ever back in a GM.

My last, 09 Sierra, was, by far, the worst POS I have ever driven! It came with the 5.3 which, after 2,000 kms, started clacking like a diesel.
Engine was replaced at 8,000 kms due to an out of round #2 cylinder.
The list of other issues, despite being a gutless POS, was as long as my arm, and then some!

A couple guys at work suggested a Ram, to which I snickered, but after listening to their stories over and over again I decided to take one for a test drive.
Long story short, in a matter of days I was trading my 09 Sierra, that still had warranty, in on one and I haven't looked back since.
The power this Hemi has over that 5.3 simply embarrasses it. It has no lag, hesitation and actually gets you up to hwy speed without having to rug it all the time.
As a bonus it gets just as good if not better MPG than that 5.3 but has twice the power easily despite what GM claims.
I purchased the 09 in the LTZ trim option as I had hoped to keep it for at least 10 yrs but after 3+ agonizing years, I was glad to get rid of it and then some!

This Ram, even today, still puts a huge smile on my face.
11.gif

I think that GMT900 half ton trucks are a letdown. The 5.3 with AFM is unreliable and not that powerful. Some were still to be had with the 4L60E - what a joke. And the interior is definitely a letdown compared to Ford and newer Dodges. The rare one with the 6.2 is more competitive with the Ram in terms of acceleration. When it comes to 2500+ trucks the interior becomes less important and the 6.0 is a reliable engine that's got plenty of torque for towing (though it's a bit thirsty).

I think my next vehicle in a few years when the Escape is paid off and gone is going to be a GMT900 Tahoe PPV. To me, as long as it's comfortable, the interior doesn't matter. Heck, if the AC worked I would find my 97 Suburban's interior totally acceptable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tahoe-Police/112969670147 something like that. Yeah it's got a 5.3 so it's not exactly fast but I'd get a tune to get rid of AFM (if cop Tahoes even have it enabled, I think they still do unfortunately) and make it a little more tolerable to drive. Plus if I really wanted to spend the $ there are supercharger kits out there for these trucks. As for the transmission, I think they still have an upgraded 4L60E - again, it's a cop car, it's been abused, I'm sure it'll need a tranny at some point. I mean what I really want is something like this but they are rare and I want the cop stuff (push bumper and spotlights): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suburban-2500-LS-4x4-PPV-LS/192595977089?hash=item2cd79d6381:g:qjoAAOSw~jJbRmmT&vxp=mtr

I know somebody who just got a 2015? Ram 1500. It's a beautiful truck inside and out, fully loaded, sunroof, Hemi 5.7... that thing is a racecar. Though a week after he got it the sunroof fell off or something. That's the thing - I think Dodge provides an excellent value and plenty of get up and go and it's generally nice, but fit, finish, and long-term quality is still hit and miss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back