What type of Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, New member to this forum. So I've got a Yaris . Used only a few times a week during the city and engine barely heats up before reaching destination (max 5km). Only travel longer distances (20km~) 5-10 times per year.
Annual mileage would be around 4000km per year. I never let the oil go for more than one year.
Currently filled with Vavoline 10w-30 Semi-Synthetic. Due to the engine wear this kind of driving entails should I change to only using Full Synthetic?
What are you're thoughts on drain intervals and oil type?

Last edited:
If in your shoes, I'd head to Repco and get their 5W30 synthetic GF5...will easily outlast your 4,000km OCIs, and 12 months

Is this their "Repco" Brand name oil? Seems like a possibility. Although SCA also sell Synthetic "Chief Oil" 5w-30 for a similar price. But the best priced synthetic so far is SCA's promotion this weekend. 5w-30 A3/B4 Castrol Edge Titanium for $42NZD which was half price. (SCA Australia had the same promo) I picked up a bottle to either sell to mates or keep for my next oil change which is at least a few months away.

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought 10L of edge 5W30, was just too good to miss.

Use that, and keep an eye out for their semi-regular specials.

I've got 5L of Chief 10W30 in the stash (it was $19.95 a while back which I thought was good, nothing on edge 'though)...I'm not a fan of Cheif's "specification level" coupled with "approval not requested"...still have it in the stash 'though.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, I bought 10L of edge 5W30, was just too good to miss.

Use that, and keep an eye out for their semi-regular specials.

I've got 5L of Chief 10W30 in the stash (it was $19.95 a while back which I thought was good, nothing on edge 'though)...I'm not a fan of Cheif's "specification level" coupled with "approval not requested"...still have it in the stash 'though.

Yea.. I'm the kinda person that buys car parts/service items in advance when they're on special and have a stash waiting.
Have you ever used Caltex Engine Oil before?For my other car, I'm thinking of putting in 10w-40 Havoline Semi-Synthetic. RRP is only $35 NZD which is by far the cheapest retail price for any semi synthetic. However, at SCA's price for Castrol edge today, I'd use the edge for everything. It's seriously the cheapest i've ever seen it. $42.88 NZD. It's already "Cheap" when repco/SCA sell it on discount for $50~

Thanks for your responses in both of my threads. Really appreciate it
smile.gif

Yep, I've used Caltex. Can only buy them from the local Caltex/Woolwrths Starmart, and the price makes your legs wobble.

Supercheap's Calibre oils used to be Caltex. Their 5W30 synthetic was Clatex C3 synthetic (still got 5L of that), and their diesel 15W40 was Delo Gold Ultra (still got some of that too). Have previously sought out and used Delo 400 and CXJ, and a friend's Fiesta needed 5W30, and we used their Energy 5W30. (ran a sump of mower oil SAE30 in my E30 as I was after an SAE 30 of better than SF).

I've dealt with Caltex on industrial oils, and they are a very straight up and helpful company.

I'd use the Edge and run it 2 years or 10000km, whichever comes first. Personally, I'd stick with a full synthetic. Pretty much every year around Bathurst, SCA have these awesome sales so hopefully you can pick up some more next year. With the small amount of k's you're doing, it'll take 50 years to wear the engine out!

My dad was annoyed, we use Edge 5w30 in his 2008 Corolla, and he bought some a few weeks ago when it was on sale, for around $A40 or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back