What type of oil is appropiate for my vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am trying to figure out which oil is best for my vehicle.

1. I have a 1999 Honda Civic LX 1.6 Liter engine. Non-vtech

2. Owners manual says use 5W-30 API service SJ. To be changed every 7500 miles or 12 months for normal conditions and every 3750 miles or 6 months for severe conditions.

3. I live in Hattiesburg, MS

4. I drive easy, and most of my driving is highway miles with speeds of around 55-70 miles per hour.

5. My daily drive involves highway miles. I make two trips per day and each trip is about 18 miles.

6. It seems that I have developed an oil leak after I changed my oil. I have not found the source of the problem yet.

History: I bought the car from an older gentleman approximately 2 months ago with 180,300. At that point he had not changed the oil in over 9 months. He didn't know how many miles had passed since the last oil change and reported zero oil leaks/oil consumption. He also did not know what type of oil was used. The first chance I got, I changed the oil at approximately 181,000 miles. I used conventional oil super-tech oil purchased from walmart. Since then, the car has started leaking oil. It's only a minor amount. Approximately 0.3 quarts every 1500 miles or so.

I need some advice on what type of oil to use. I've heard that synthetic oils are good and would love to use them, but I am not sure if they are appropiate for my vehicle. As far as the oil change intervals, I am ok with changing the oil as recommended by the owners manual, but I am not opposed to extending these intervals.

Would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Why not fix the leak? Or are you talking consumption?
Maxlife would work great in this car, either way.

I'd stick when ANY HM Oil on sale with a filter for <20$

You need to find out what is leaking. If it is something too expensive to fix like the main cam seals, then an increase in viscosity will help to reduce the leak rate. I think your engine type is OK on a 5/40 and using a full synthetic is probably a waste of money if you don't want to push the OCI limits as the difference in engine wear terms is minimal, any of the major brand oils would be good and if you can't fix the leak then an HM oil is worth considering, but avoid the 15/40 ones as they are bad in cold start terms.
Recommending an OCI without knowing the engine is tricky, but 5K miles should be good to start with, then do a single UOA with TBN and see what it looks like before using the manufacturers recommended interval, which should be possible as you are doing mostly highway driving.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will identify the leak and repair, however it's a rear main oil seal (which I suspect), then that will be costly. I will try high mileage oil first.

Not sure about Defy, but MaxLife is a MIRACLE OIL when it comes to oil leaks-I've lost my rear main PUDDLE on the old '89 F-450 IDI 7.3 with only a 50/50 mix (with HDEO)!

+1 on Maxlife.
It has realy helped to reduce leaks and consumption with my two that do both.
It also seems to be a very good oil, based upon the one UOA I've done after using it.

Any 'name' high mileage oil works well. Even Supertech, if you can find it. I believe Meijer and Sears has house brand HM oils. They would work fine too.

Thank you again for your suggestions. After further inspection, it appears that I have oil leaking from the oil pan and the rear main oil seal. The leak seems to be slower than I expected.

I will try Valvoline maxlife and see how that does.

Originally Posted By: jhammermil2008
Thank you again for your suggestions. After further inspection, it appears that I have oil leaking from the oil pan and the rear main oil seal. The leak seems to be slower than I expected.

I will try Valvoline maxlife and see how that does.

Oreilly has a sale on it right now. 24.99+microguard, nextgen maxlife OR regular maxlife.

buy 2 get a 10$ gift cert. comes out to 40$for 2 changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back