What to use for top coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today after work I decided to wash, clay, and wax the Neon. The car is Orange Blast Pearl in color. After claying the surface, I laid down a coat of Mother's Reflections advanced car wax..."high gloss liquid polymer". The results came out pretty good for a couple hours work, but the back of the bottle says "for even greater results, use with Reflections Advanced Top Coat". Instead of heading to the store and trying to find this purticular top coat, is there something that might work even better to kinda seal in the results I have now? I have probably 20 different waxes in the garage, so I might already have a good one to use.

any input would be appreciated, as I would like to finish it off tomorrow morning

Nothing much other than some QD spray or IMHO the best topper around: Lucas Slick Mist.

I use lucas slick mist as the final step after I wax my car with TW Ice.

The Reflections you used is fine as is. You can top it with a pure carnauba wax (no cleaners or polish in it) for a little more protection.

Wipe down the car with a detail spray and a clean towel, then apply a thin coat of wax and remove. On a Neon, you could do this in 30 minutes.

after looking through the detail shelf, it seems like the ones to choose from are collinite 476 and 845, zaino grand finale spray, Meg's Gold Class liquid paste wax, M's 3 step products, Mother's carnuba, Meg's quick detail spray wax as you dry......

Last edited:
Mothers Top Coat is a carnauba/synthetic wax product. It has zero cleaners so not intended to be applied to paint that needs a light cleaning to assist with bonding. As bretfraz said, you can substitute a **pure** carnuaba wax instead. The idea is you do not use a wax with cleaners (many do) that would disturb the Reflections on the paint.

Last edited:
I think I might know of a mom & pop parts store that would carry the Mothers Top Coat since they carry an extensive product line of Meguiars and Mothers, but their shop is about 20 minutes away. If I decide to just use the Collinite, should I use the 845 or the 476?

Why would you want to apply a second coat of a completely different wax over the Mother's Reflections?

You have just waxed the car. There is no more work to be done.

Any of the collinite waxes, are cleaner waxes and will remove the previous layer of mothers reflections. Ditto for the meg's gold class paste wax.

At best you can finish with a wipedown using a QD spray to get that last bit of gloss. Otherwise just leave the car alone and enjoy it.

i wanted to put another coat over the reflexions because the bottle recommends it for better results. I also want the finish to last longer so I wont have to repeat the process as often. The car is my DD and spends 9 hours a day in commercial construction site parking lots. A quick detailer everyday after work would be a no go since the finish is covered with more than a light coating of dust. I will just hunt down the Mothers Top Coat, and stick with the once a week car washs

If you go over to www.waxforum.com (the official mother's wax forum) you can find plenty of threads on this issue.

Personally, for your situation, I would recomend using Lucas Slick Mist after every weekly car wash. I think you'll be impressed.

Mother's Reflections Advanced Car Wax is a synthetic sealant, it contains no wax. Collinite does not contain cleaners, it is also a synthetic sealant that contains carnauba for a less plastic look. You can either add an additional coat of Mother's or one coat of Collinite 845 for more protection and a warmer look to the paint. You'll be set for 4-6 months.

The terms wax and polish are thrown about on product labels like there's no tomorrow and most do not denote the contents.....they simply appeal to the masses. A prime example is Duragloss #105. The label says it is a polish yet it contains no abrasives so how can it polish anything? In truth it is a sealant (and among the best) that contains a mild chemical paint cleaner.

i broke down and decided to track down the Mothers Top Coat. The only things that bugged me was the price($17.99) and the fact that when I got home, I had to rewash the car before I could apply it. Results dont look much better than yesterday, but it is overcast today. Maybe when the sun comes out I will see some better results. The Top Coat product was also harder to remove than the wax was, but not as bad as some I have tried in the past. Overall, I am happy! I havent seen such good looking paint since I tried Zaino z-2, z-5, and some grand finale spray about 3 years ago. I usually wax every 3 months, and clay once a year at the end of summer

I wish I had a good camera so I could post some pictures of the car. All I have is a 5mp point n shoot Kodak.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
If you go over to www.waxforum.com (the official mother's wax forum) you can find plenty of threads on this issue.

Personally, for your situation, I would recomend using Lucas Slick Mist after every weekly car wash. I think you'll be impressed.

thanks for the link....I will be wasting away my Saturday afternoon reading that forum now. lol I have already found some good info so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back