What sort of gas mileage on GM 3.1 or 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had a 86 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with the V6 3.8L. Gas mileage is fairly good compared with smaller sized V6s. On freeway only it got about 27-29mpg. Does okay in the city, about 18 or so. Cruises very nicely on the freeway, plenty of power. I'm used to driving 4 cylinder cars so I have to say, I don't need to press the gas pedal down that much for that car.

GM has done a wonderful job with the 3.8L with or without the supercharger. Great engine that makes good to very good power and gets surprising fuel economy considerting it's displacement and the weight of vehicle that it's pulling. UOA's always show these engines to be very easy on their oil. I've seen the 3.8L match some 4 cyl engines in the MPG dept. Once you get into the throttle though(WOT) the MPG takes a beating as the 4 cyl engines don't take as much of a MPG drop when flogged IMHO.

Hi

If it werent for packaging requirements, I am sure that GM would have completely revamped the engine begining with the heads.

The 606 engines are the future unfortunately.

The 3800 V-6s were rated as one of the 10 best engines by Wards Automotive Magazine a few years ago.
It's still one of the best domestic engines.
I only hope the Buick engineers can keep this engine up to date; rumors that it's to be dumped in favor of newer(and supposedly better?) Chevy engines. 3.9?

I sure that the 3.8L can stay with us forever but of course, not without many upgrades. Emissions is a key factor. Newer disigns are just more emission friendly and GM will probably put the 3.8L to rest some day. What an engin it has been!

I get about 31 MPG on long highway trips with my 3800 in a '94 Regal. The engine still performs great with almost 133,000 miles on it. My mixed commute (50/50 city/hwy) yields about 24 MPG.

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:

quote:

Originally posted by Shaman:
I used to pull the belt on highway trip and run 87 without a problem, confirmed by a scan.

Are you saying that you unhooked the drive belt to the supercharger and were able to run it that way? You're kidding me right?

No, several people do it. The SC belt is run on a seperate belt than the rest of the system. I ran without a belt, as have friends with Sc problems. I had a snout leak that would throw sc oil during long trips. Turns out there was a nut that was missing from the end of the SC.

So, no, I am not kidding, no there were no problems, yes, many people do it. It's a dog with 8.5 cr and no blower, but it ran just fine. After a week of waiting for the part to arrive, I had gotten used to the lack of power.

To the thread starter. If you are going with a GT or GTP, or regal for that matter, take a look into the U-bend. GM did it to protect the o2 sensor. Dyno tests show a 5 hp gain on a GT, and I noted about +2 in mpg with it gone. A good exhaust shop shouldn't charge that much, if they are willing to touch it.

We have 98 Lesabre and an 88 Lesabre. My wife gets 28mpg on her daily commute, On trips we get 30+. The worst I've ever seen in hers is 22 with a lot of in-town. If you concerned about mileage get the GT, you'll be too lead-footed with the GTP to get mileage.

Even my old 88 with 250,000 has gotten 30, so you can't go wrong.
wink.gif

I appreciate the continued reponse guys.

I've taken a closer look at the 3.8 engine. Boy, it's real basic : push rod engine with 2 valves per cylinder, single camshaft and a cast iron block. But, apparently reliable and long-lived as heck. A radical departure from my all aluminum 200 hp, DOHC, 24 valve, 4 camshaft, 2.7L V6 with 3 timing chains that needs constant vigilance and periodic expensive preventative maintenance.

It's interesting comparing my Intrepid to the Grand Prix w/3.8 :
Both engines produce 200 hp and both cars get close to the same gas mileage (possibly better with the Grand Prix). I get my 200hp and mileage from a modern high tech design, smaller displacement but higher volumetric efficiency (74HP per liter). But the price is much higher mechanical complexity, the need for expensive oil or high frequency of oil changes, and high cost periodic maintenance (we're supposed to replace all 3 of our chains and tensioners - plus the internal waterpump - at 100K miles. Typical prices are $1500 to $2000).

With the GM 3.8, I would still have the same H.P. but from a larger engine with lower volumetric efficiency (52 HP per liter), but the older simpler proven design means long life with standard maintenance practices and costs. And I would still get the same gas mileage, but none of the worries that I have with the Chrysler 2.7.

It's startin' to look reeel clear. Althoughhhh....the 300M with the more reliable 3.5L is a pretty nice car too. Hmmm.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
If you concerned about mileage get the GT, you'll be too lead-footed with the GTP to get mileage.

If I remember correctly, GT's have 3.29 ratio, and the GTP have a 2.93 final gear. But yeah, I agree with the lead-foot. The whine doesn't get loud though until an FWI. If you aren't a pedal dropper, either will be fine. You should also look into the Regal LS(GT) or the GS(GTP)

quote:

Originally posted by va3ux:
I appreciate the continued reponse guys.

I've taken a closer look at the 3.8 engine. Boy, it's real basic : push rod engine with 2 valves per cylinder, single camshaft and a cast iron block. But, apparently reliable and long-lived as heck.

Exactly, that's the whole point of these engines. The basic block of the 3800 has been around since the late 50s, IIRC, so GM has had over 60 years to tweak it to perfection. They're bulletproof and so prolific, parts are cheap if you know where to look.

Shaman, you're right about the gear ratios, except the Regal LS is an oddball at 3.05.

I traded in a 2001 Grand Prix Gt with the 3.8 a couple of months ago to get a truck. It was by far the best car I have ever owned. In 5½ years, the only thing that ever happened were the washer fluid motor died (very easy fix, about $20 and 20-30 minutes DIY) and my A/C compressor got a hole in it, $600. Besides basic maintenance, I only spent about $620...or about $10 per month. The only stupid mistake I made was buying the extended warranty on it. Never got to use it (A/C went out after warranty...of course). Great car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back