What size of bypass filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil will last as long as you keep it clean. People that use conventional non synthetic oil normally have longer lasting equipment. This is not because the conventional oil is better than the expensive synthetic oil but because it is less expensive to keep the oil clean. When the filter costs one buck for the filter element and a buck and 1/2 for the oil it's going to get changed more often. If the filter costs 25 bucks and the oil costs 5 bucks you are either going to spend a lot of money on oil and filter changes or you are going to get a higher wear rate. There are no magic filters or magic oils. You can be very creative with the figures but a one buck filter is still less expensive than a 25 buck filter. The Frantz, Motor Guard and Gulf Coast filters all have larger and more effective elements than the BE-100. The housing is bigger on the BE-100 but air is a poor filter. I'm just a guy with common sense and a mechanical aptitude and I caught on to it 40 years ago.
I put an oil analysis report before and after the bypass filter installation on a forum. It was a Gulf Coast filter on a racing engine. An Amsoil dealer tore me up. He had a Dodge Caravan with a much lower wear rate. I hadn't mentioned that the race car had Amsoil racing oil in it. I got the attention of a Road King Magazine editor. He did an article on two systems. One was an Amsoil system and the other one was a Shell Rotella and Gulf Coast system. The Amsoil system used a Como filter. The big 12 qt capacity Gulf Coast filter was getting changed every 10,000 miles. The full flow filters were getting changed every 50,000 miles. The Amsoil was getting run until oil analysis showed it was dirty and needed changed. It was an unfair comparison because the Shell Rotella was cleaner than the Amsoil. You can't beat clean conventional oil with dirty synthetic oil.
Hey, Deepsquat , on my Camry the Motor Guard drains good. The Motor Guard on the Subaru doesn't . I tried something and it worked. When the filter is still hot I cracked the tee handle enough to let the air in. The filter then drains. The Motor Guard is the easiest and least messy to change of any filter if it drains.

Ralph
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by flynavydiesel:
Okay, I am interested in this but very gun shy about the cost benefit of using a bypass filter. If it will not extend the life of the oil I am using then why use it? My UOA's have shown good wear numbers and low insolubles with just the full flow filter.

Sean

Sean, I'm done with this thread, if you do have any questions about synthetic, Amsoil By-pass filters, Pricing or just want to chat give me a call or send me an email. It seems that the BS is getting too deep in here for me.

Michael Sparks
877-464-87987
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back