What should I use? What is the best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am looking for recommendations for the type of oil for both of my mid 2000 Chevy road warriors.

1. What kind of vehicle you have

2004 Suburban flex fuel 2 wheel drive L59 engine
2005 Silverado Z71 4X4 L59 engine
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
5W30
Your vehicle’s engine requires oil meeting GM
Standard GM6094M. You should look for and use
only an oil that meets GM Standard GM6094M.
3. Where you live
Memphis, TN The suburban see's Wisconsin sub zero temps for a week out of every year.
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
easy
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Daily short highway trips for the silverado and car rider lines for the suburban.
6. Whether your car has any known problems
None

I bought the suburban with 80,000 miles. OCI was changed according to the oil system monitor. Oil used was Mobil 5000. Engine currently at 177,000 miles. Last oil change and based off what I loosely read here, I found and used Motorcraft 5w30 from walmart. Price was $17.97 vs $12.88 for the Mobil 5000

Silverado was bought with 225,000 miles. I have since swapped out the motor Lm7 to L59 with LM7 intake and injectors. My old motor began to tick aggressively due to a failed lifter which is common on the LS motors. The replaced motor in it that has 80,000 miles. The guy that put the motor in used Mobil 1 synthetic. I am due for my oil change now. Was thinking of going with the MC 5W30 as well.

Thanks for all the info. in advance.

Mobil 1 5w-30 High Mileage and Wix or NAPA Gold filters in both. Easy.

Maxlife 5w-30 if you'd like to save a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
A high mileage 5w30 in both, pick your favorite brand.

You're supposed to pick the brand for him.

Any oil meeting GM specs will work well. A friend of mine has a 2004 Suburban with the 5.3 with 326k miles on it. He just changed it when ever from 4k miles to 9k miles running quick lubes cheapest oil. It is all the original drive train. I have been changing the oil for him now for the past two years and there are times that he comes in at 5k miles and others at 9k miles if he remembers to come in. LOL Been running Valvoline NextGen 5w-30 in it so far, until my stash runs out and what ever next brand I can get on sale.
smile.gif

With those older engines, I'd be in favor of Mobil 1 5w30 or even 10w40 High Mileage. Mobil 1 0w40 would be a great oil. So would any HDEO (any 5w40), like Rotella T6, or Delvac. All these oils are cheap at Walmart.

If the engines don't leak I wouldn't pay the extra for a high mileage oil. Buy the cheapest SAE SN oil in the correct viscosity that you can easily find.

I'd stick with what you have now.
MC in the Suburban and M1 in the Silverado as it is a newer engine. NAPA Gold filter for both and your all set.

Wow!! What a response in such short order. Thanks a million to everyone.

I forgot to add I use ac delco filters. Also I would like to use the same in both if practical. @rat407, the suburban guy sounds a lot like me! Also neither engine leaks.

I guess my question now is, is it worth the dollars to go M1? $12.88 vs $23.88. I was thinking the MC at $17.97 was a sweet spot however from reading here the 5w30 in MC may be difficult to find consistently.

Originally Posted By: jetfxr27
I guess my question now is, is it worth the dollars to go M1

With the engines you have, not one single individual here on the forum can provide a shred of evidence that a top-tier synthetic will decrease wear or prolong engine life when following the OLM.

Pennzoil/Quaker State Dexos1 is available at Walmart for $16.97/5 qts.

Why didn't they just replace the broken lifter? Why a new engine?

If the engines do not leak, then any oil that meets the spec will be fine. PP or M1 would be on my list.

I do not think you need HM oil unless you have leaks and do not plan on fixing them.

Originally Posted By: jetfxr27
I guess my question now is, is it worth the dollars to go M1? $12.88 vs $23.88. I was thinking the MC at $17.97 was a sweet spot however from reading here the 5w30 in MC may be difficult to find consistently.

If you can't find the MC 5w30 and want to stick with a similarly priced synthetic blend, try Pennzoil Gold. Most of the walmarts near me stock it in the 5 quart jugs. I don't see MC 5w-30 in the jugs often.

The LS motors valleys are covered which means lifters can only be accessed with the heads removed. The labor and parts to do the work plus the huge availability of the engine and lastly the high miles (225,000) I opted to spend the the extra $500 for the motor. Also a lot of times the cam lobes are worn after the lifter failure I had. Which means there's no telling how much I was gonna spend on the old motor. My new motor is an 8th digit z, which means it was the last L motor with all the mods.

Short story it made more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back