What Should I Buy As A Replacement Spare for 4Runner?

Earlier this week, the wife ran over something that cut the left rear tire, necessitating the use of the spare.

Thread here

The tire that was cut is not repairable, and my plan is to have the spare Bridgestone Dueler H/T that is currently on the spare, steel wheel, transferred to the alloy wheel, and buy a cheap tire to go on the spare, steel wheel.

Since the 4Runner is 2WD, and we plan to wear out these stock Bridgestone H/Ts, I was thinking about going with something highway-biased and fairly inexpensive, considering it will only rarely (if ever) be used.

So, I thought I’d consult the BITOG hive mind and see what you guys think I should get!

Tire is 265/70-17.

We have just about every retailer you can think of within 1-3 miles of us.

Toyota gives you matching tires? My Jeep has Pirelli Scorpions, so imagine my surprise when I opened up the spare compartment and found a Nexen! At least they give you a nice Mercedes style hook. Now that I look closer, they aren't even the same size! :oops:

gFzAiFf.jpg

fUBVwRT.jpg

6IbzIyQ.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a pipe dream.. you have to pay mounting and balancing twice, disposal, and taxes what budget is left $50?

you might get close to 100$ just for the tire.

Thats a pipe dream.. you have to pay mounting and balancing twice, disposal, and taxes what budget is left $50?

you might get close to 100$ just for the tire.
Well... What I meant was, $100 OTD for just the tire.

Of course I know I have to pay mount/balance.

Well... What I meant was, $100 OTD for just the tire.

Of course I know I have to pay mount/balance.
well I took out the door to mean.... out the door 😉

I dont think you will get much below 135 with tax even with no name tires..
so call it 180 with the labor.

If you want the same tire, call some tire dealers and see if they have any take-offs they're willing to sell for cheap. Maybe the Toyota dealer too.

I sold my OEM 4Runner tires to Discount Tire, for $100.00 each.

There are cheaper, mostly chinese alternatives in that size.

I just bought a USED spare Tire and steel Rim from Dunn Tire.
I was told the tire was less than 30 days old (I believed them).
The tire 225/65R17 cost me $64.00 / made overseas.

Along with the Tire, a new steel Rim, mounting, balancing, and sales tax .... cost me $152.00 total.
I was happy / no more tire inflator and sealant.

Last edited:
Eh, I was hoping to get by with spending less than $100 out the door if possible!

Guess I’ll just have to call around and see what’s available.

I guess how much time and effort that you have put into it, to save $20... is up to you.

Isn't this for a vehicle that your wife drives?

Craigslist is hit or miss. FB marketplace has worked out better for me.

I have tire machines, so I don't worry about paying, but I imagine the local shop would be reasonable for mounting and balancing when you find one. Actually, our guy that does inspections has a couple of racks filled with used tires. Might be worth looking into.

Toyota gives you matching tires? My Jeep has Pirelli Scorpions, so imagine my surprise when I opened up the spare compartment and found a Nexen! At least they give you a nice Mercedes style hook. Now that I look closer, they aren't even the same size! :oops:

gFzAiFf.jpg

fUBVwRT.jpg

6IbzIyQ.jpg
That is absolutely hilarious, but is also expected of FCA.

They may not be the same size, but I'd bet they're close to being the same diameter, if not the same diameter. That's what matters.

You just got the spare that they use on the base model. You're not going to get a matching 20" spare from Daimler/Cerberus/FCA/Stellantis... whoever owns them today.

They may not be the same size, but I'd bet they're close to being the same diameter, if not the same diameter. That's what matters.

You just got the spare that they use on the base model. You're not going to get a matching 20" spare from Daimler/Cerberus/FCA/Stellantis... whoever owns them today.
If you get trailhawk model you get the same tire but usually on a steelie.

Well…heck. I bought a tire and had it mounted, but it was a mixed experience.

I ended up calling 3 local places - Discount Tire (over $200), Tire Discounters ($180), and NTB ($154).

All these quotes were for some kind of off-brand tire such as Westlake or Linglong, etc.

Ended up choosing NTB for $154 out the door (parts, labor, & tax) to dismount both tires, transfer the Bridgestone Dueler H/T (identical to the other tires) to the alloy wheel, and mount a Linglong Crosswind 265/70-17 to the steel spare wheel.

The price of the tire is on the receipt as $118. So I paid about $36 in labor & taxes.

The Crosswind is a Chinese copy of the Michelin LTX/Defender LTX, and I’d say, appearance-wise, its pretty darn close. The biggest difference I can spot is that the sipes aren’t full-depth like the Michelin.

So far, so good. Satisfied with that tire and the price, they were nice to deal with, got it done quickly, etc. Which I appreciated.

What I didn’t appreciate, was the scratches they put in the inner bowl of my wheel, with a flathead screwdriver blade, or similar, scraping the old wheel weights off. 🤬

I specifically mentioned that this is a new 2021 vehicle (and wheel), and that I didn’t want any scratches. He said no problem, our machine has a rubber-coated duckbill.

Well, I inspected the face of the wheel before I left. But I neglected to look at the inner barrel of the wheel. 😤

Their machine Also put some nice “puncture” marks (7 pairs of them) around the inner barrel. I assume whatever machine they used has something that expands into the inner barrel in order to secure it. But it caused damage. Cosmetically I don’t really care about the divots, as they’re not really visible (the scratches are). But they might eventually be starting points for corrosion, and should probably be blended out, alodined, and painted, to prevent corrosion eventually starting at those points.

I’m very upset, mainly, that someone was careless enough to use a flathead screwdriver or the like to scrape off the wheel weights. And I’ll be contacting the manager on Monday morning to arrange for them to either repair the damage, or replace the wheel.

AAD1451E-A5E9-43C2-A647-F14773190F9C.jpeg

92A5DC6C-9C93-4AC2-9221-4C148ACC08D1.jpeg
0F4971DE-3457-41AA-A102-049ED0ECA51E.jpeg
C76B0A00-7F1D-434B-BFAD-4169B4064C5E.jpeg
0B5321F8-7AB6-4C9A-9AAD-E7BE39051740.jpeg
6B41675F-0A9D-426A-9B0B-61B83DA63ECA.jpeg

In the last photo, above, you can see 2 of the little “puncture marks” or “divots” that were left by their machine. Why it would operate like this, in a way that can, and has, obviously, damaged customers’ wheels, is beyond me.

Maybe someone here understands the type of machine that was used, and can provide some insight? Was there negligence that caused these divots? Again, I can’t believe that a machine would be designed in a way that could potentially cause damage like this. If so, I’d certainly like to bring it to NTB’s attention, to hopefully prevent others’ wheels from being damaged.

Earlier this week, the wife ran over something that cut the left rear tire, necessitating the use of the spare.

Thread here

The tire that was cut is not repairable, and my plan is to have the spare Bridgestone Dueler H/T that is currently on the spare, steel wheel, transferred to the alloy wheel, and buy a cheap tire to go on the spare, steel wheel.

Since the 4Runner is 2WD, and we plan to wear out these stock Bridgestone H/Ts, I was thinking about going with something highway-biased and fairly inexpensive, considering it will only rarely (if ever) be used.

So, I thought I’d consult the BITOG hive mind and see what you guys think I should get!

Tire is 265/70-17.

We have just about every retailer you can think of within 1-3 miles of us.
Get a matching wheel and tire. Rotate 5.

Edit: dang! Late to the party...

Last edited:
Back