What Product Will Minimize Bug Windshield Damage?

We recently drove from Tennessee to New Orleans. On the drive through Alabama and Mississippi, my Bronco Sport encounter flak from what seemed like 10% of flying insect population. My windshield looks sandblasted.

I expected this may occur, so I applied a double dosage of Rain-X. I was disappointed in the results. What product works well BEFORE such a trip so that windshield vision degradation is minimized? Not how do I remove the after effects. What products are long haul truckers using on their windshield?

If I suspected something like that I would have waxed it. Maybe that's not the smartest thing to do. I don't know how the wipers would have done... but I would have thought the hard coating would protect it.

a bug shield on the front hood to direct the bugs over the roof at speed.

Popular in the 80's.

We recently drove from Tennessee to New Orleans. On the drive through Alabama and Mississippi, my Bronco Sport encounter flak from what seemed like 10% of flying insect population. My windshield looks sandblasted.

I expected this may occur, so I applied a double dosage of Rain-X. I was disappointed in the results. What product works well BEFORE such a trip so that windshield vision degradation is minimized? Not how do I remove the after effects. What products are long haul truckers using on their windshield?
Rain science rain clear gel. It's thick but lasts.

I've never had damage from bugs. Lots of bugs and a big mess, but not damage.

How fast were you driving?

Over 75 mph. Not equipment damage. However, anytime one has to pull over to squeegee that windshield just to be able to see. Anytime, flying insects that collide are big enough, to cause an audible “Pop” that awakens your passenger ….

What’s your solution?

Over 75 mph. Not equipment damage. However, anytime one has to pull over to squeegee that windshield just to be able to see. Anytime, flying insects that collide are big enough, to cause an audible “Pop” that awakens your passenger ….

What’s your solution?
There's no easy solution. You clean off the bugs using window cleaner.

I had a limo driver take a few of us on a 2 - 3 hour (each way) cross country trip during bug season. His windshield got really covered with bug guts. Though he was driving a Lincoln, he stopped and sprayed on an unknown GM product, let it work for a few minutes, then wiped off his windshield using paper towels. That seemed to work pretty well.

I use Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray on my windshield each car wash, helps get them off easier, and works better then rain-x for the, rain..

What’s your solution?
Drive slower. Not only will you usually get better fuel economy, also fewer bugs will splat apart on impact, and it won't be as important to see as well if you aren't going as fast.

I don't at all understand pulling over to squeegee, as I've always been able to... get ready for it... slow down... then use wiper/washers. Adding a little dish detergent to the washer solution will help clean the muck off, but you must be going slow enough that the bug guts get softened up by the water, before the wind on the windshield dries it. Squirt washer a couple times, wait with wipers off, then repeat with wipers on. It may not get 100% of it off, but you don't need 100% of it off, just to keep it clear enough to keep going.

I'm more concerned about the bug guts on painted and faux chrome surfaces, doing damage. Paint you can wax but some grills and plastic trim/moldings are more difficult.

Rain science rain clear gel. It's thick but lasts.

I gotta wonder when Unelko sold Rain-X to SOPUS, whether they kept the "good" formula to themselves, and gave them the "less good" version, because Rain-X has never worked as well after that. Also odd that Unelko retained the right to continue to sell similar product, under their own branding, and not be bound with any sort of no-compete clause.

Personally, I'm not a fan on coatings on windshields, because it basically sentences that piece of glass to repeated reapplication to maintain a uniform surface and repellancy. Only thing worse than worn Rain-X is unevenly worn Rain-X, which wreaks havoc on wipers resulting in chattering and spolchiness.

That results in a reliance on a good windsheild washer fluid, and I haven't found anything better at dissolving grime and bugs than the concentrates from Wurth, P21S, or 1Z, with the caveat that they're not natively winter-rated.

I gotta wonder when Unelko sold Rain-X to SOPUS, whether they kept the "good" formula to themselves, and gave them the "less good" version, because Rain-X has never worked as well after that. Also odd that Unelko retained the right to continue to sell similar product, under their own branding, and not be bound with any sort of no-compete clause.

Personally, I'm not a fan on coatings on windshields, because it basically sentences that piece of glass to repeated reapplication to maintain a uniform surface and repellancy. Only thing worse than worn Rain-X is unevenly worn Rain-X, which wreaks havoc on wipers resulting in chattering and spolchiness.

That results in a reliance on a good windsheild washer fluid, and I haven't found anything better at dissolving grime and bugs than the concentrates from Wurth, P21S, or 1Z, with the caveat that they're not natively winter-rated.
As I understand it glass science Was started by a guy who previously worked at Rain-X. He wanted to make something better. Years ago I ran into a guy in Phoenix while visiting my parents talking about it. It may have been the very guy who started The glass science company.

An occasional cleaning with Ceriglass will get all of the JUNK off and leave a very clean and smooth glass....

I'm more concerned about the bug guts on painted and faux chrome surfaces, doing damage. Paint you can wax but some grills and plastic trim/moldings are more difficult.
Can't use this on the windshield, I have not tried it. But griots products are usually pretty good.

Can't use this on the windshield, I have not tried it. But griots products are usually pretty good.

Griots stuff is legit. Bought some long ago on clearance at AZ, but would buy again even if on MSRP. Like Meguiars green ceramic wax better though.

An occasional cleaning with Ceriglass will get all of the JUNK off and leave a very clean and smooth glass....
And is necessary step for long lasting glass coatings.
Rainx etc are just cheap toys.
I don't remember complaining about bugs and dirt since using pro coatings.
Dollar store bottles can't compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
Drive slower. Not only will you usually get better fuel economy, also fewer bugs will splat apart on impact, and it won't be as important to see as well if you aren't going as fast.

I don't at all understand pulling over to squeegee, as I've always been able to... get ready for it... slow down... then use wiper/washers. Adding a little dish detergent to the washer solution will help clean the muck off, but you must be going slow enough that the bug guts get softened up by the water, before the wind on the windshield dries it. Squirt washer a couple times, wait with wipers off, then repeat with wipers on. It may not get 100% of it off, but you don't need 100% of it off, just to keep it clear enough to keep going.

Same here. I agree.

Reactions: hrv
1663542341102.jpg
" What product will minimize bug windshield damage ?"
Try this on them bugs pointing away from the windshield . :ROFLMAO:

As I understand it glass science Was started by a guy who previously worked at Rain-X. He wanted to make something better. Years ago I ran into a guy in Phoenix while visiting my parents talking about it. It may have been the very guy who started The glass science company.

According to their website, Unelko is still in the family, and Glass Science is one of their brands.

Rain-X maintains a history of the product, and its inventor.

Back