What "Parts Ordering Paralysis" costs

Not the point at all. What's the difference between a single LED bulb vs incandescent used in a bedroom lamp for three hours per night? Or the difference in rotational effort for a crank in 0W-20 vs 5W-20?

The point is in certain areas we scrounge for every scintilla of reduction in emissions or waste or "carbon footprint" and in other areas it seems nary a concern. It just doesn't make sense.

And what do the OEMs reco for service interval? If, say, 60k, and you follow the guidelines it's way more than twice per vehicle. Now if EVERY vehicle on the road required a disposable pan every 60k, seems to me the green movement could start doing some marketing campaigns about how many times those pans would stretch around the earth, etc....all the usual tactics
oh no @D60 you've got it all wrong (sarcasm here).. no no.. you see the environmental guidelines are only for the lowly people like you and I. The corporations always get a pass because they can buy some carbon credits to make themselves "look" good for the environment. Without actually doing anything positive towards keeping stuff out of the landfill.

Now I know I might get some people who will show that automakers do recycle and are doing good things with the environment, and I agree they are.. but this wasteful type of oil pan doesn't need to exist. Oh and then again corporate profits for you to buy an overpriced piece of metal when the filter needs to be replaced is OK.. because they HAVE to make their profits..

I think a corporation can have their profits and be aware to design parts that are not wasteful and no I'm not some green, tree hugging type person, just one that believes that we have one home, Earth.. And no matter how much dreaming to get to another planet that's talked about.. We're still stuck here! Better make the best of it!

Not the point at all. What's the difference between a single LED bulb vs incandescent used in a bedroom lamp for three hours per night? Or the difference in rotational effort for a crank in 0W-20 vs 5W-20?

The point is in certain areas we scrounge for every scintilla of reduction in emissions or waste or "carbon footprint" and in other areas it seems nary a concern. It just doesn't make sense.

And what do the OEMs reco for service interval? If, say, 60k, and you follow the guidelines it's way more than twice per vehicle. Now if EVERY vehicle on the road required a disposable pan every 60k, seems to me the green movement could start doing some marketing campaigns about how many times those pans would stretch around the earth, etc....all the usual tactics
The ZF8HP has a change interval of 8yrs or lifetime but 75k miles for heavy towing or high speed "offensive" driving.
The pan can be recycled and some automakers opted for a metal pan on some variants.

• Helpful
Reactions: D60
oh no @D60 you've got it all wrong (sarcasm here).. no no.. you see the environmental guidelines are only for the lowly people like you and I. The corporations always get a pass because they can buy some carbon credits to make themselves "look" good for the environment. Without actually doing anything positive towards keeping stuff out of the landfill.

Now I know I might get some people who will show that automakers do recycle and are doing good things with the environment, and I agree they are.. but this wasteful type of oil pan doesn't need to exist. Oh and then again corporate profits for you to buy an overpriced piece of metal when the filter needs to be replaced is OK.. because they HAVE to make their profits..

I think a corporation can have their profits and be aware to design parts that are not wasteful and no I'm not some green, tree hugging type person, just one that believes that we have one home, Earth.. And no matter how much dreaming to get to another planet that's talked about.. We're still stuck here! Better make the best of it!
Those corporations have employees.

I'd bet money there is something equally ridiculous somewhere on your F-250, every vehicle has its quirks. The ZF8 is one of the finest transmissions you can get and nearly 100% of people agree on that. Knowing transmission service was going to be pricey wouldn't have kept me from buying it as opposed to an inferior transmission in another truck.
Replacing a 4.0 engine in my Jeep GC due to piston skirt breakage was enough to sour me on Jeeps. And two transmission pressure sensors for $500 a pop.

My Ford F250 is 8 years old and has 150K miles. The only issues (three I think) have been engine emissions related and two were covered under warranty.

Replacing a 4.0 engine in my Jeep GC due to piston skirt breakage was enough to sour me on Jeeps. And two transmission pressure sensors for $500 a pop.

My Ford F250 is 8 years old and has 150K miles. The only issues (three I think) have been engine emissions related and two were covered under warranty.

Having one of the better motors of all time fail is just bad luck. haha. Glad you're 250 has been good to you. They are good trucks and having said that I know someone who had their 6.7 fail at 38k and then bought another that was a year newer and he's had the cab off of it for repairs as well under 100k. Stuff just happens. The only thing my Ram has had done to it is have exhaust manifold studs replaced under warranty.

Having one of the better motors of all time fail is just bad luck. haha. Glad you're 250 has been good to you. They are good trucks and having said that I know someone who had their 6.7 fail at 38k and then bought another that was a year newer and he's had the cab off of it for repairs as well under 100k. Stuff just happens. The only thing my Ram has had done to it is have exhaust manifold studs replaced under warranty.
The Jeep 4.0 engine had known issues with piston skirt cracking and #331 cracked head issue. So while some years may have had good engines my engine was a 2001 and cracked piston skirts were a known engine. But most mechanics have seen a couple of them.

This part was most likely designed for manufacturing (DFM) and lower warranty claims due to "manufacturing errors", which is reality is an assembly issue.

One part versus at a minimum three parts, mostly guaranteed proper oil filter installation with no gasket issue, maybe even robotic assembly capable part.

Engineering purpose versus maintenance requirements. I see it all the time with assemblies that mesh together perfectly, but are a nightmare to repair because a bunch of parts have to be removed to get to the one that needs replacing.

Robotic assembly makes for precise assembly, but requires lower parts "load". Think of the "Giga Press", for example.

So, a one piece pan makes perfect sense in that assembly process; and it's not their issue 60K miles later because the unit is out of warranty and any manufacturing problem associated with this part has most likely long since passed it's time requirement.

I'm not sure about the 8 speed zf but my Jaguar uses the zf 6 speed. I bought an aftermarket larger capacity finned aluminium pan complete with neoprene gasket and new bolts which I decided to swap for studs (my choice) it has a $35.00au replaceble filter with the kit for $450.00au There's also a plain metal reusable pan available with same neoprene gasket and $35.00au filter it was $250.00au as well. It might be worthwhile seeing if the 6 speed pan fits. I've had 3 services on my car since 2012 if I'd have known about this plastic rubbish expenses and bought the metal one straight away it would have paid for itself by now

The 6.7L powerstroke is a decent engine, but if you have to do repairs outside of warranty especially on the emissions or fuel system the repairs to the Grand Cherokee will seem like pocket change in comparison.

What if an employer thought you required too much compensation and wanted to see a complete breakdown of your month expenses in order to justify paying you less - how ridiculously unreasonable would that be?
I already don't get paid enough and they know it. The poverty line in Colorado is now $26 an hour hence why I'm applying like crazy to get out of working security.

I replaced an engine in my Jeep GC.
Yep, I remember you posting about that, which honestly just sucks given the number of people with 4.0 Grand Cherokees that haven't had engine issues and don't even maintain them. A family member had the HPFP on his 6.7L Powerstroke eat itself, sent metal all through the system which is usually what happens with that style Bosch pump when they fail. The bill was over $13,000 and that was a few years ago. He just spent money fixing the DEF system a few months prior, and ended up sending the truck down the road instead and now has a V8 gas to pull his skid steer.

Reactions: D60
Yep, I remember you posting about that, which honestly just sucks given the number of people with 4.0 Grand Cherokees that haven't had engine issues and don't even maintain them. A family member had the HPFP on his 6.7L Powerstroke eat itself, sent metal all through the system which is usually what happens with that style Bosch pump when they fail. The bill was over $13,000 and that was a few years ago. He just spent money fixing the DEF system a few months prior, and ended up sending the truck down the road instead and now has a V8 gas to pull his skid steer.
I like boating and working on my boat. But need a 3/4 ton pickup to trailer it if it's something I cannot repair on my own.

I try and use Exxon/Mobil branded diesel for all fill ups. Hopefully it will keep the fuel injection pump from having expensive issues.

But apparently the oil pan leaks on the 6.7 after awhile. It's just RTV, no gasket. And it's several thousand $$ to repair that.

But the biggest recent issue is they moved Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM to 308 and it seems my radio only goes to 199 or maybe 200. Might need to get a new truck with newer satellite radio.

I like boating and working on my boat. But need a 3/4 ton pickup to trailer it if it's something I cannot repair on my own.

I try and use Exxon/Mobil branded diesel for all fill ups. Hopefully it will keep the fuel injection pump from having expensive issues.

But apparently the oil pan leaks on the 6.7 after awhile. It's just RTV, no gasket. And it's several thousand $$ to repair that.

But the biggest recent issue is they moved Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM to 308 and it seems my radio only goes to 199 or maybe 200. Might need to get a new truck with newer satellite radio.
Definitely a good idea to buy fuel from good sources. There has to be a way to retrofit an aftermarket audio headunit for your truck that can utilize the newer satellite radio.

Back