What oil should I use? Bye Bye Amsoil!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: tig1
Guys I understand the court thing, I'm only asking ,if the 7500 isn't synthetic why does it say it is on the bottle?
No offense, but then you don't understand the court thing.

You are so polite.

Pablo,

I like educated discussions with as little heat as possible, no need to be harsh on an otherwise very friendly board IMO.
grin2.gif

Maybe it's the Canadian in me...
08.gif

Thanks for the compliment!
thumbsup2.gif

I do understand the court thing that Castrol was allowed to call a hydrocracked oil synthetic. I knew that long before I ever heard of BITOG. It seemed Pablo wasn't calling 7500 a true synthetic when it says it is synthetic on the bottle. I guess it's all in the wording as placed on the bottle.

On the grp III synth thing. The way I understand how it works (correct me if I`m wrong),all oil from mother earth has naturally occuring parrafin in it,right? And grp III synths are dino oils that have been "purified" per se,and have had all of the naturally occuring parafins and other impurities removed??????? So a grp III synth is a "pure" dino oil? If I`m way off base,please say so. I do alot of searching here and on other sites trying to educate myself on the science behind various motor oils.

Pablo,

I like educated discussions with as little heat as possible, no need to be harsh on an otherwise very friendly board IMO.
grin2.gif

Maybe it's the Canadian in me...
08.gif

Thanks for the compliment!
thumbsup2.gif

Us boys from the heart land can be civil as well, When we want to.

Oh I wasn't implying that Americans aren't... Just that
08.gif
is known for being civil world wide. And that maybe that's where I get it from.
wink.gif

I lived in Maine for 10 years and some of the boys from Quebec were known as "scrappers" at the drop of a hat. I worked with several Quebecers at Bath Iron Works and I really liked those guys. So much charter I never experienced from folks out here. Very colarful.

08.gif
wink.gif

Canada had some KILLER garage bands back in the mid 60`s!!!!!!
11.gif
I collect 60s psych/garage music and Canadians can ROCK!!!!!!!!!! Too bad that music is rare as hen`s teeth here in the US.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: 1999nick
(For your peace of mind) if you are going back to 3K changes, try Pennzoil 5W-30 in the yellow bottle and your favorite filter. WIX, Purolator, what ever you like.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

This original recommendation was based on two comments; 1) want to save some money, and 2) doing 3K oil changes for peace of mind.

If you are going to do 5K+ oil changes and you want to stay with a synthetic oil, skies the limit. Pick your favorite brand and have at it.

I would disagree with my friend Pablo on one thing, the Amsoil XL series oils are synthetics, just made with Group III base stocks instead of mostly PAO.

Hey, Johnny, just because some regulator says that Group III can legally be called synthetic does not mean that true believers have to agree. Your PP is a fine oil, just, in my opinion and others, not a true synthetic. If I were using Pennzoil for a 5,000 mile OCI, I would choose the Yellow Bottle.

Need to clear up a few things:

It is not MY PP. Have not worked for them since 2005 and could really care less what anyone uses.

Might have started with some regulator, but Group III is now excepted as a synthetic base stock by all the major oil companies and their chemist. Although I agree, there are still some diehards out there that will not except it.

You are correct though, I would have absolutely no problem doing 5K oil changes on yellow bottle Pennzoil.

Johnny,
If the XL7500 isn't synthetic then why does it say synthetic on the front of the bottle? Here's the link

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlf.aspx

I did not say it was not a synthetic. I agree, the XL7500 is a synthetic, just not a PAO synthetic. I believe it was Nick that said he did not think Group III's are synthetic.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
08.gif
wink.gif

Canada had some KILLER garage bands back in the mid 60`s!!!!!!
11.gif
I collect 60s psych/garage music and Canadians can ROCK!!!!!!!!!! Too bad that music is rare as hen`s teeth here in the US.
It's the beer that makes us great rockers!
LOL.gif

Is there a list somewhere on what "synthetic oils" are actually purified base3 oils and what "synthetic oils" are actuallys really synthetic?

Are Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower true synthetics?

Originally Posted By: Midwestspecial
Is there a list somewhere on what "synthetic oils" are actually purified base3 oils and what "synthetic oils" are actuallys really synthetic?

I`ve read Synpower is a grp III and certain M1`s are Grp IV/V.

I see this thread getting very ugly now...
LOL.gif

The answers are in BITOG in various threads...

Some Grp-III synthetic oils are:

Pennzoil Platinum
Valvoline Syn Power
Castrol Syntec

Mobil-1 (Rumored to be Grp-III and rumored to be PAO) - Formula is a secret.

The base oil isn't important as it once used to be because the newer GRP-III formulations of today are superb and provide excellent protection.

Real world testing is the only way to tell if an oil is serving you well and not UOA's or base stocks IMO.

Use an oil that meets your comfort level and meets the OCI and requirements of your engine manufacturer. This will assure long life and are the only things you really need to base your decision on!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
May not apply to this thread, but I use Amzoil exclusively in my motorcycle. Mainly because I want an oil I can leave in the entire summer without having to change it (which gives me more riding time), but also my motorcycle engine is probably much harder on oil than a car engine is. Amzoil gives me extra piece of mind in the bike. I just run dino in my cars.

Even more important....

DOES IT MATTER?
06.gif

Answer.

NO

IMO, Amsoil XL is one of their BEST oils. To the OP, I'd look at the filter and use the same oil. That way we can learn WHAT the problem is.

I'm about 99% sure that Amsoil XL is NOT a problem.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Of course it matters. But not necessarily in this case.
Most cases.

And XL is not his problem.

Bill

Bill sticking up for a synthetic?
LOL.gif
(J/K)
Sticking up for facts...
cheers3.gif

No way its the oil. Filter? Maybe and most likely.

His engine is force fed so a syn is prob required. Amsoil XL is just as good as any OTC syn like Mobil 1 or PP.

cheers3.gif

Glad you can take a joke...
wink.gif

Yeah the EAO filter seemed to stop my lifter ticking in the winter with M1 so I would agree with you in trying a new filter or at least another oil with more PAO content allowing it to flow more freely when cold. (Even cold in the summer).

If the filter fixes the problem with XL-7500, then great if not then I would be checking into a PAO oil as this helped my similar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back