What Oil Are You Running In Your Honda 1.5T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dblshock
...I may have to pull the pin on this set up soon.

LOL! I might borrow that phrase.

' I can see where 0w16 makes you shiver.'

When this goes mainstream the UOA's have got to come back in the 0/0 - 0/4 range and you'd think
producing unacceptable wear metal at some point along the way...these Asians will have to incorporate some 2T
type hardware eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by madeej11
Simple, use the 5w30 all year round. I live in Quebec which is much colder than Indiana and I use only 5w30. I would suggest PP. The 0w factor won't benefit her until around negative -20f.

Why go tell people to use non approved oil in new vehicle with warranty? No proof 0 or 5w20 will damage his engine or Honda would have it in manual. I can't tell you how many vehicles have high mileage with 5w20 with no problem. Just did Kia with 5w20 with 173k.

Excuse me Tiger but if you read OP properly he was going to suggest 0w30 to his girlfriend. I was telling him at those temps 5w30 would be just as good. Read before you leap!

As you see it's up about a half qt. so soon I'll do my siphon 1qt. add .5qt...intend to run this fill out 8-9k

How are you siphoning oil out?

I've tried using my vacuum extractor but there doesn't seem to be a clear shot to the oil pan through the dipstick tube like there was on my old BMW.

Something gets in the way before the tubing can reach the oil.

Good question...

look at the dipstick, it;s oblong right? take your smallest extractor tube to the best local hardware store and find the brass tubes (they may be in a special rack) their like 2' long ea. and straight Find the one that just fits inside the extractor tube you brought to the store IIRC 5/32"...take the brass tube home and put it in the dipstick tube...doesn't fit?? then flatten it out (used a vice) to mimick the dipstick tip shape, I did like a foot so it gets into the sump, when your done with that tape the brass tube into the plastic one and go.

BTW: hot oil pumps faster then stone cold.

G/L

Last edited:
OK, here we go...Current OCI was 5/19/18 Edge 0/40, 6,100 mi. so far.. last month or so was down right frigid so cold short trips 3 miles to town, post office, groceries, GF, fuel ect.

Here's a cleaned blade..
Then a current reading 11/30/18 6,100mi.
and the subsequent paper blot

O.K. so how much dilution was there?...you won't get this from Oil Analyzers cause they stop @5%, B/S 1%.

I siphoned off about 1qt,
added .6qt.
so ball park (no lab here) .6qt. / 3.75qt. is 16% dilution.

This dilution took place in November/December 2018 mornings single digit and teens prior to that, no dilution observed April-October. ..6,200 so far on this OCI.

Unchecked this will continue to head north thru the friged temps I can only imagine the oil condition on one unchecked run November thru April on a lesser motor oil.

***Oil siphoned off a one qt. mark
***Make-up oil used .6qt.
***Dipstick reading returned to original mid mark.

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

Have a 2018 CR-V with the 1.5L turbo. Changed the oil today with 4,980 miles on the odometer. Used PP 0w20. No issues with fuel dilution here at all. Plenty of heat, and it's been pretty chilly here for early December. 19F this morning.

well that;s encouraging but your not near as cold as UMW there yet, I'd have to assume that drain was the FF?, also wonder what sort of driving pattern (how far to daily job ect.) anyway now is a good time to start monitoring, you probably get enough cold in CT to suffer dilution... We're moving into the coldest months and as far as I know Honda has not fixed the issue...keep us posted.

well that;s encouraging but your not near as cold as UMW there yet, I'd have to assume that drain was the FF?, also wonder what sort of driving pattern (how far to daily job ect.) anyway now is a good time to start monitoring, you probably get enough cold in CT to suffer dilution... We're moving into the coldest months and as far as I know Honda has not fixed the issue...keep us posted.

I assume you are aware of the patch/fix ecu update in Canada on the crv/civic's right? supposedly this is going to roll out in five northern states in the u.s yours included next. in looking at this it appears to be a Band-Aid and doubt I would care to join the party. I would rather extract at x given time like you and carry on with life..

It's my wife's car. She drives to work, 14 miles one way, 10 of those are highway. I have read all the threads on this, and bought the vehicle anyway. I feel the CR-V has the best package for me compared to all the competition. I have been monitoring the oil, and heat, and have to say with a critical eye, and thankfully things have been fine. Wife says it doesn't warm up as quickly as her Subaru we traded, but it has been fine. Drained the FF at 4,980. Will go to 10k and do a UOA.

Any updates to this thread?

How would running a 5-30 in winter be beneficial? I thought 0-20 is good in winter as it flows easy?

Has anyone talked to Honda USA and Canada and asked why the European models have 30 weight oil as an option in the manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back