What new make/model is easiest to work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be in the market for a new vehicle in the near future but my choice will hinge upon which model is easiest/cheapest to repair. Since I'm comfortable with many repairs, this is a important aspect in the decision.

I would focus (no pun intended) on a car that is unlikely to need fixing rather than a car that is easily fixed.

JMO.

Last edited:
None are easy.
There is really not a whole lot the average guy can do.
The car company frowns on diy.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I would focus (no pun intended) on a car that is unlikely to need fixing rather than a car that is easily fixed.

JMO.

Suggestions? $20000 range

My 03 V8 4Runner is reliable and easy to work on. I did the timing belt/water pump at 100K miles with no trouble. There was plenty of room. Oil changes are easy, the filter is right out in the open. Changing the spark plugs was easy too. They're all out in the open. It happened at 100K, too.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My 03 V8 4Runner is reliable and easy to work on. I did the timing belt/water pump at 100K miles with no trouble. There was plenty of room. Oil changes are easy, the filter is right out in the open. Changing the spark plugs was easy too. They're all out in the open. It happened at 100K, too.

I wrote "new" in the subject.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Are manual windows and no air conditioning ok?

Manual windows preferred. Didn't realize that was still an option these days!
laugh.gif

A/C would be nice though.

Probably will be difficult to find a lot of first hand knowledge about how easy brand-new cars are to work on because well, they're brand new. Not a lot of people will have driven them far enough to have had to perform bigger repairs/maintenance items such as timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, A/C, etc.

Originally Posted By: AshleyQuick
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I wrote "new" in the subject.
grin.gif

The new ones are almost the same, same construction, same reliability same access to maintenance.

VW Jetta, base Tiguan or base Golf, lots of room to work under the hood, nothing too difficult to repair and reliable.
Every new car is going to require a scan tool for diagnostics but for VW there are plenty of inexpensive units that don't rely on a cell phone.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My 2016 Outback is very easy to access all maintenance items, even the CVT trans.

I like that Subaru has the oil filter located at the top of the engine.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Probably will be difficult to find a lot of first hand knowledge about how easy brand-new cars are to work on because well, they're brand new. Not a lot of people will have driven them far enough to have had to perform bigger repairs/maintenance items such as timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, A/C, etc.

Yeah good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back