What mower to buy for 2 acres?

1) Mine clearly was better quality than the competition.
2) Parts have not been a problem, even 22 years down the road. Because JD's are so common and the company produces parts seemingly forever, purchasing a JD is, in my opinion, worthy of consideration. Even Ebay is full of JD parts.

Again, I didn't make the claim that you'd have trouble getting parts on a mower.

And my biggest complaint about them is their bad consumer policies. Other brands don't do that and offer similar or better quality in my experience. There is nothing special about JD quality. It's worth it to stand up and fight for your freedoms, such as the freedom to fix the stuff you own, instead of rewarding companies that force you to give them more of your money.

Since we appear to be going in circles I'm going to bow out of this thread.

I have a cheap gravely hvz zero turn with a 50 inch deck. I've been using it on my small farm to mow about that much in grass with typical tall grass and occasional really small branches. It's a 2005 model that i bought used in 2015 for $700 in perfect working order and it's been just fine. Couldn't have cost more than $3000 new it's a pretty low end homeowner grade model. Just miscellaneous repairs as it needed them but no expensive failures or ones i couldn't do myself. No need for some $5k+ model or anything over the top really. I only use it once every 2 weeks or so. Sometimes once a week if it rains and shines a lot during the spring to fall.

My 1998 JD LX 188 with the liquid cooled Kawasaki 501V has been stellar for 25 years! I always blow the dirt and debris off around the engine, radiator, and transmission with a leaf blower after every use. It also pulls a 30 bushel capacity Cyclone Rake multiple days every fall. I also had a 345 that was bulletproof as well. I’d be willing to bet that there’s not one part on my 25 year old Deere that I can’t get from JD.
I'm leaning toward same set up. Still deciding what mower but then I'll see how it does mulching. And if I don't like it just get cyclone trailer to tow behind for fall season.

If you are looking for something newer. A John Deere X570 is the sweet spot for me. Air Cooled 24hp Kawasaki, diff lock, power steering, fuel injection. It can handle up to a 60" deck, power bagger, tow a proper yard cart.

For me staying air cooled is important to avoid cooling system parts that will be pricey to replace long term. Radiator, hoses, etc.

I don't remember the exact 300 number. I believe it was an 18 or 20 hp, but it was definitely kawasaki and also liquid cooled. Built somewhere around late 90's IIRC? 48 inch deck, power steering.

Edit: found my service records, it was a 345 built in 1997.
Sounds like the plastic cam failure that was a Kawasaki design flaw in the 345.

When it comes to larger equipment Deere, Agco, CNH, etc it’s all the same with software policy crap. Pick your poison based on dealer support and parts. There’s a reason why older equipment has appreciated in value. Sounds like your local dealer was garbage. Can’t say the same about mine.

I bought a JD 318 (~1986 vintage) and equipped it with a 48 inch deck for my 1.25 acres. At about 1.25 hrs, I'd say a 60 inch deck would be nice for your lot - if it's fairly flat. 2 acres would take about 2 hrs with a garden tractor/48" deck.

With the older stuff though, you've got to be willing to do some work to keep them running well. At about 800 hours, the Onan still has a lot of life left. I enjoy the maintenance required on an older machine; however, if you just want to get on and mow, you'd probably want new as possible.

Just added a 1969 140 to the fleet so I guess this is now a hobby for me.

Attachments

• 2022-12-24 11.59.18.jpg
    2022-12-24 11.59.18.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 14
  • 163598858_10159236161714390_4933787221596884782_n.jpg
    163598858_10159236161714390_4933787221596884782_n.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 13
Sounds like the plastic cam failure that was a Kawasaki design flaw in the 345.

When it comes to larger equipment Deere, Agco, CNH, etc it’s all the same with software policy crap. Pick your poison based on dealer support and parts. There’s a reason why older equipment has appreciated in value. Sounds like your local dealer was garbage. Can’t say the same about mine.
Yep, Deere is just the one that received the most publicity, a lot of the companies do it. It has more to do with the software integration of everything locking people out than right to repair, even though I think right to repair is very important. I'm glad the farmers won that fight with Deere, but I'm curious how they will fix their equipment without the right software. It's kind of like me trying to fix my BMW without BMW scan tools and software.

I don't currently own any Deere equipment, but I have in the past, all good experiences. I would say they are probably the most repair friendly brand for consumers, since parts diagrams are everywhere, even on their own site, and I've bought parts for antique machines that were still in stock at the dealer. Many of the box store brands that I fix all the time for customers turn into a nightmare looking for parts. Many parts become unavailable after a few years, or they make it so you have to buy an entire assembly instead of the failed part.

I bought a JD 318 (~1986 vintage) and equipped it with a 48 inch deck for my 1.25 acres. At about 1.25 hrs, I'd say a 60 inch deck would be nice for your lot - if it's fairly flat. 2 acres would take about 2 hrs with a garden tractor/48" deck.

With the older stuff though, you've got to be willing to do some work to keep them running well. At about 800 hours, the Onan still has a lot of life left. I enjoy the maintenance required on an older machine; however, if you just want to get on and mow, you'd probably want new as possible.

The 318 and 140 are some of the best machines ever made. A joy to use and work on with enough features that you could use them as a weekly mowing machine without much compromise. I love antique tractors, but some of them are quite punishing to operate compared to newer stuff.

Yep, Deere is just the one that received the most publicity, a lot of the companies do it. It has more to do with the software integration of everything locking people out than right to repair, even though I think right to repair is very important. I'm glad the farmers won that fight with Deere, but I'm curious how they will fix their equipment without the right software. It's kind of like me trying to fix my BMW without BMW scan tools and software.

I don't currently own any Deere equipment, but I have in the past, all good experiences. I would say they are probably the most repair friendly brands for consumers, since parts diagrams are everywhere, even on their own site, and I've bought parts for antique machines that were still in stock at the dealer. Many of the box store brands that I fix all the time for customers turn into a nightmare looking for parts. Many parts become unavailable after a few years, or they make it so you have to buy an entire assembly instead of the failed part.

I believe the software is out there, or "unlocked" by the farmers in Ukraine etc.

The reason why JD is in the news the most is because they're the worst of the bunch by far. There was a memo circulated just recently by someone in JD to employees saying the most recent court loss of theirs doesn't mean anything as they can just skirt around it. Forget the details but I can try and look it up again. The point was though that they don't care about the law either, or the spirit of the law. They're reprehensible.

I believe the software is out there, or "unlocked" by the farmers in Ukraine etc.

The reason why JD is in the news the most is because they're the worst of the bunch by far. There was a memo circulated just recently by someone in JD to employees saying the most recent court loss of theirs doesn't mean anything as they can just skirt around it. Forget the details but I can try and look it up again. The point was though that they don't care about the law either, or the spirit of the law. They're reprehensible.
They are one of the largest companies, so like any large corporation I'm not surprised they would act in that manner.

Again I'm not defending them, and I wouldn't go out and buy a brand new machine from them, but there are some models out there that are a great value used and it would be silly to ignore the value of something made in 1987 because of what the idiots that currently run the company do.

Also didn't mean to de-rail the OP's thread with a brand war.

My recommendation to customers is always to buy the best quality machine they can afford for the jobs they need to do, because otherwise they will just be buying another one soon. It is always better to buy a used quality machine than a cheap new one, since the used quality machine will need maintenance but ultimately will last longer. The cheap new one won't be worth fixing the first time it needs a major repair.

What machine you look for depends on your needs.

Mowing only = a nice zero turn (ride on or walk behind)
Mowing/snow removal and other yard tasks = a garden tractor or sub compact tractor

1) Mine clearly was better quality than the competition.
2) Parts have not been a problem, even 22 years down the road. Because JD's are so common and the company produces parts seemingly forever, purchasing a JD is, in my opinion, worthy of consideration. Even Ebay is full of JD parts.
The #1 thing about JD is their parts availibility.

They are one of the largest companies, so like any large corporation I'm not surprised they would act in that manner.

Again I'm not defending them, and I wouldn't go out and buy a brand new machine from them, but there are some models out there that are a great value used and it would be silly to ignore the value of something made in 1987 because of what the idiots that currently run the company do.

That's where you and I differ. I'd love to see the used market for JD tank as well. Realistically I know that won't happen, but that doesn't mean I'm going to support them even used because that's what it takes to get the message through - vote with your wallet. Used equipment probably means purchasing new parts in the future as well, you're still supporting them.

And I maintain that when it comes to lawn mowers, there are equally good or better options available. I see very few professional landscapers running Deere. In my area JD mowers are usually bought by farmers who already own other heavier equipment from them.

Sometimes you just need to say "no" and take a stand.

Nice old deere ! and back yard.

The 318 and 140 are some of the best machines ever made. A joy to use and work on with enough features that you could use them as a weekly mowing machine without much compromise. I love antique tractors, but some of them are quite punishing to operate compared to newer stuff.
Yeah, I was surprised how fast a modern zero turn is when I helped my friend mow his yard while he was away. I'll take the old stuff for what I need though, 1.25 acres for 3 years of a military assignment isn't asking much from a capable machine.

Back