What land line phone screening device should I purchase?

I tried the BITOG search for "telephone call screening" but nothing of value came up.

I looked on Amazon and there are devices with a wide range of prices. Some have subscriptions that you have to continually pay for so they update the list of numbers the pest callers are using. Some use a white list where you enter numbers that will be allowed to get through. I think the white list ones may not be a good idea as sometimes members of the house get legitimate calls regarding something medical and the caller is a new doctor, or nurse, or some other medical organization specializing in some branch of medicine dealing with something for the individual, and those numbers would be new numbers that would not be on a white list, and therefore not get through.

I remember there was a thread about these type of devices quite a while ago, but even if I found it today, anything on it may be outdated.

If I have to I will buy the more expensive item, but it would be nice to know it is worth the money before perching it. And if a lower cost device works well, then I would appreciate knowing about it. Three is no need to spend $129.00 for a device if the $49.00 device actually does the job well, but if the more expensive device is the only one that does the job good then that is what I will use.

So what is the best bang for the buck regarding the telephone screening devices that are available now days?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
Have you looked into Panasonic link to cell cordless handsets? Basically you have cordless phones that link to your cellphone by Bluetooth that allows you to have a traditional home phone which uses your cellphone. You leave your Bluetooth on and when you get home, it links to the Panasonic handsets automatically. No need for a second phone number. You can deal with blocking spam calls using an app. iOS 13 and Android 10 deals with spam calls effectively if set up.

Have you looked into Panasonic link to cell cordless handsets? Basically you have cordless phones that link to your cellphone by Bluetooth that allows you to have a traditional home phone which uses your cellphone. You leave your Bluetooth on and when you get home, it links to the Panasonic handsets automatically. No need for a second phone number. You can deal with blocking spam calls using an app. iOS 13 and Android 10 deals with spam calls effectively if set up.

That is a nice set-up but it would not be applicable in my house. I have a cell phone, but older people who live here do not. So when I am not home they would not be able to receive or make calls. And our land line phone number is one we would not want to change. It is the same number we have used for more years than I would like to admit, and is known by all our friends and relatives, and that is a huge number of people.

Last edited:
I have the least expensive Obihai device routing calls through Google Voice. Google Voice is free and has very good spam filtering.

This means you have to host your own number and port your number to Google Voice, but if you're comfortable with that and don't mind relying on your Internet connection for your phone calls it works well and is dirt cheap. You can get 911 service if you want for a small monthly charge.

I have the least expensive Obihai device routing calls through Google Voice. Google Voice is free and has very good spam filtering.

This means you have to host your own number and port your number to Google Voice, but if you're comfortable with that and don't mind relying on your Internet connection for your phone calls it works well and is dirt cheap. You can get 911 service if you want for a small monthly charge.
That probably will work. Our internet is very reliable. And I am not sure, but I thing the way Comcast has things connected we are already relying on that cable to the house for all 3 TV, internet, and phone. So the reliability probably would be the same. The only thing I wonder about is if there is ever a power outage (which are rare, and usually very short in time), or an internet outtage, would there be anything that has to be done to get things back up and running for the phone when it is on that system, or would it come back up with the power, or internet coming back up?

I found a good way to reduce spam calls. We used to have the answering machine go off at four rings. But recently, I changed it to six rings, and the spam calls almost disappeared overnight. Because what everyone hates, even the spam callers, is waiting for someone to pick up. We only had one spam call today, compared to around five on average. Our phone service offers Nomorobo, but they record your calls according to my phone company.

We installed a Call Sentry 3.1 box several months ago. Zero spam calls since.

We installed a Call Sentry 3.1 box several months ago. Zero spam calls since.
+1
I have the Sentry 2.0 Phone Call Blocker version of this device. IMO it is the best device of this type on the market and it is only $50 with no subscription fee. It is a white list device, which means that you have to enter the numbers of the people that you want to receive calls from. This is the type of device that you want. It takes a little time to set it up with all of your approved numbers, but it is well worth the trouble. Also, someone who is not on your white list can still get through to you if they need to (like a doctor's office and a pharmacy have had to). The way that they have to do this eliminates the computer generated calls. I have not had a single spammer try to ring through in the 3 years that I have had it. I'll tell you this, the box is a lifesaver during an election year!
The black list devices are a useless waste of money. I had one of these previously. The spammers spoof phone numbers and this makes the black lists totally worthless.

Last edited:
Back