What is ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The viscosity of an oil is measured by the amount of time it takes to flow, or in simpler terms, it's thickness. As an oil gets hotter, it gets thinner, and when measured, it will flow faster. Many people think multigrade oils such as 10w30, actually get thicker when hot, but this is simply not the case. All oils will always thin out when warmer.

I,m getting all screwed up
gr_eek2.gif
Density is the mass or weight per unit of volume, so therefore as the temperature increases the volume would increase,so the oil would be less dense at a higher temp.
banghead.gif

Guess I better get this one overwith before you smoke something up there...

First question.. what is viscosity..given answer is Measurement of a fluids resistance to flow

Second question..what effect on oils viscosity and density..Both decrease

Viscosity: a fluid resistance to flow.
For the second part, i have always tought that, when anything gets hotter, it increases its volume,(forget about water around 4C and some other weird things) for a fluid, the volume increase allows the molecules to move easily, and then decrease the resistance to flow.
Since by definition density is mass/volume, when we have a higher volume, the results from this division, are smaller, then, when temperature increases, density and viscosity decrease.
(My apologies if there are grammar or syntax mistakes)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back