What is your shops HDEO bulk oil?

Also the 10w30 is for temps above freezing. In owners manual it states to use 5w40 in below 0 weather conditions. I even asked our Ford people near my work.
Most ford dealers don’t use 10w30, they use 5w40. The logic is people that buy these trucks are using them to tow, which ford wants 5w40. Unless someone buys a super duty to just drive around uses 10w30, which is not to smart to buy one just to drive around.

Well, my work we have tons of Super duty F-250’s and our dealer tells a rotella 10w30.

This is just what our ford dealer here told us. One guy said 10w30 is fine in our climate.

I have 4 friends with F-250 diesels and one friend just bought F-350 dually. His dealer said don’t use 5w40 since you do all highway miles. Other farmer friends use 10w30 cause it’s easier to get at rural King. This is feedback I’m getting. Cheers🍻🇺🇸🇨🇦

Also the 10w30 is for temps above freezing. In owners manual it states to use 5w40 in below 0 weather conditions. I even asked our Ford people near my work.
Plus people get mad enough at what a diesel LOF costs with bulk 10W30. So many times I hear people saying they have to wait until their next paycheck to pay for a service on their truck.

Well, my work we have tons of Super duty F-250’s and our dealer tells a rotella 10w30.

This is just what our ford dealer here told us. One guy said 10w30 is fine in our climate.

I have 4 friends with F-250 diesels and one friend just bought F-350 dually. His dealer said don’t use 5w40 since you do all highway miles. Other farmer friends use 10w30 cause it’s easier to get at rural King. This is feedback I’m getting. Cheers🍻🇺🇸🇨🇦
What’s funny is, most dealers don’t even carry or use 10w30. These trucks are made to work, therefore being stamped right on the cap for 5w40 extreme, 10w30 normal. These trucks don’t fall under normal. 10w30 is for fuel efficiency.

Local Ford dealer here (that has a sizeable diesel shop) uses 10w30 year round. Only uses 5W40 on commercial guys who run out west (-40 temps) and only in the winter. Ram wants 10W30 in the 6.7 above 0F now, and as mentioned above, most semi's come with 10W30 now...and it's that low shear number FA4 stuff (crap) too.

Local Ford dealer here (that has a sizeable diesel shop) uses 10w30 year round. Only uses 5W40 on commercial guys who run out west (-40 temps) and only in the winter. Ram wants 10W30 in the 6.7 above 0F now, and as mentioned above, most semi's come with 10W30 now...and it's that low shear number FA4 stuff (crap) too.

Yeah, the 5w40 myth is busted I see. No one I know wants a high dollar Diesel engine oil change when a 10w30 will work just fine. If I bought a 6.7 F-250/350 truck; it ain’t getting 5w40. I don’t care how much you pay me. Real world friends and their experiences and facts blow this “5w40 myth” apart.

On the convault bulk oil tanks for our truck garage, there's old Safety Clean 15w40 stickers on them. I'm not sure if that's what it actually is though. They stretch the OCIs and any maintenance to the absolute max for our fleet of the best that money can buy, as long as it's the cheapest Freight Liners tractors.

Fleet of about 50 mixed vehicles currently get Chevron Ursa Super Plus 15w40 for diesels. Fleet guard or Baldwin filters based on availability. Latest filters are showing poor quality control from all manufacturers though.

Fleet of about 50 mixed vehicles currently get Chevron Ursa Super Plus 15w40 for diesels. Fleet guard or Baldwin filters based on availability. Latest filters are showing poor quality control from all manufacturers though.

Yeah we quit using Auto Extra 10255 and 57502. Went with Pennzoil filters; they are holding up great.

b u l k o i l

IMG_0405.JPG

Napa 5w40 diesel oil, always loading up when available. We run it about 500hours in our mixed fleet.

There are quite a few OTR tractors that come with 10W30 HDEO now, and I haven't heard of them being hurt by it. Not to mention the "crazy" FA-4 oils (the REAL fuel economy oils)! Besides, Rotella T6 5W40 shears into a 30 PDQ anyway!
They come with 10w30 from factory, but once that’s dumped 15w40 goes back in. I know several owners of fuel transportation business, and grease removal business. The fuel transportation owner has 55 gallon drums of Delvac 15w40. He owns kenworth and Volvo tractors. The Volvo comes factory fill with rotella 10w30, kenworth comes factory fill with Delo 10w30. He resolves oil 15,000 miles with all Delvac 15w40 in both branded tractors. Talk to any over the road trucker and he will tell you they don’t run 10w30, they use 15w40

There are quite a few OTR tractors that come with 10W30 HDEO now, and I haven't heard of them being hurt by it. Not to mention the "crazy" FA-4 oils (the REAL fuel economy oils)! Besides, Rotella T6 5W40 shears into a 30 PDQ anyway!
All diesel engines shear the oil down. It’s not just rotella that shears.

They come with 10w30 from factory, but once that’s dumped 15w40 goes back in. I know several owners of fuel transportation business, and grease removal business. The fuel transportation owner has 55 gallon drums of Delvac 15w40. He owns kenworth and Volvo tractors. The Volvo comes factory fill with rotella 10w30, kenworth comes factory fill with Delo 10w30. He resolves oil 15,000 miles with all Delvac 15w40 in both branded tractors. Talk to any over the road trucker and he will tell you they don’t run 10w30, they use 15w40
And many fuel economy minded fleets use 10W30. The main trucking company for Honda in Canada (Gibson) is 100% 10W30 for example. I wouldn't call it widespread but it quite common now. Chevron distributor I use is 30 ish % 10w30 for bulk oil delivery to diesel fleets. Small fleets and owner operators, ya, 15w40, but those folks are generally the last to try anything new and possibly better.

All diesel engines shear the oil down. It’s not just rotella that shears.
Well said - if a person would follow the UOA data, they would notice that 10W30's shear also - especially in the HEUI engines ........ some can almost drop to a 20 weight in 7500 miles. That said, some oils do shear more quickly than others. Some of my oil analyses show that some Mobil 5W40's are still in the 40W range at 7500 miles (barely, but "in is in").

Back