What is your shops HDEO bulk oil?

This had me thinking for a while. Our work, we do oil changes on diesel trucks occasionally. We use Autozone and I usually use Rotella T4 10w30 or T5 Syn blend. For oil filters I usually get a STP filter. Those of you who work in a shop with diesel powered vehicles or have service center that services them; what do you folks use for Diesel engine oil?

Thank You and have a wonderful weekend 🇺🇸🇨🇦

The company I retired from (10 years ago) used Rotella T4 bulk 15w40 in their class 8 trucks and diesel reefers. AFAIK they never had an oil related engine failure. The company was sold just before I retired so I don’t know what they’re using now. They did use Shell synthetic gear oil in their transmissions and diffs.

I work for a State agency and we are required to maintain the vehicles we drive. For the longest time, several decades, they bought Cenex 15w40, about 10 years ago they switched to 5w40.
3 years ago they switched to a brand I haven't heard of, Purus. Still 5w40. The old school mechanics in the shop all complained when they switched brands, saying that will cause problems, oil consumption and leaks, but so far haven't heard of any issues. They do a 500 hour change interval.

Last shop I was at used Motorcraft 15w40. The one before had Motorcraft 10w30HD and Motorcraft 15w40, 6.7 PSDs got the 10w30 there but 15w40 is recognized as acceptable for use in our climate.

My previous employer has 10 Kenworth W900's. They do the oil changes at their shop. They were buying Rotella T4 15W-40 by the pallet of 3 gallon cases. It made more sense than buying it by the drum, as some of the trucks leaked oil and the drivers could keep a gallon or two on hand. They moved to 5 gallon pails for a little while when the oil started to get scarce. They're officially back to the cases now.

All the trucks get run very hard for 10-14 hours a day in the logging industry. They usually get oil changes every 10-12k miles. Fleetguard filters are always used unless there's a supply issue. They've never had a oil related issue, and the rest of the truck is usually falling apart well before the engine goes. 500k miles is usually the time they start thinking about retiring the truck, though there are some that have 650-700 on the original drivetrain.

The trucking company I work with uses Rotella T6 15w40 no matter what area of the country their terminals are in. Their fleet consists of International LTs with Cummins X15, that thankfully they are phasing out, and late model Freightshaker Cascadias with DD15.

Municipal Fleet which had about 700 heavy duty diesel powered vehicles used low bid bulk oil... purchased by the pound... I worked for them for 35 years. this marvel mystery oil :) came via tanker truck from places as far as 1000 miles away... nobody knew the name of the stuff and it was debatable if the municipality ever bought the same low bid product twice from the same vendor... and it seemed to work out fine. ... so much for brand loyalty.

I work at a golf course as an apprentice mechanic. The equipment manager uses Chevron 15W40 in pretty much everything from mowers, golf carts, and tractors.

Attachments

• 0D060252-E3BE-4359-8267-880BFFA48E1D.jpeg
    0D060252-E3BE-4359-8267-880BFFA48E1D.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 91
The trucking company I work with uses Rotella T6 15w40 no matter what area of the country their terminals are in. Their fleet consists of International LTs with Cummins X15, that thankfully they are phasing out, and late model Freightshaker Cascadias with DD15.
What problems are you having with the X15?

Nothing with the X15, International just makes cheap, junk trucks IMHO.

I am not the biggest Freightliner fan but the Cascadia is worlds better than the International LT.
I agree. I can't stand international trucks or freightliners myself. They are downright uncomfortable to me.

My boss does not care about mpg or weight I guess. All the new Peterbilt 389's he bought have the 605hp x15 Cummins.

The other companies around here are running 9,11 maybe 13L engines to save weight and fuel.

Ours will pull cajon pass @ 60 mph loaded to 80k!

Our bulk is Valvoline premium blue one solution 15w-40. Nice not having to have separate oil for CNG’s. Our field service guys do service a bunch of different applications. So we do have pallets of pretty much every other Valvoline diesel oil made. We usually have some cases of Rotella T4 15w-40, Mobil 1 0w-30 ESP, and Valvoline FS Maxlife 5w-30/5w-20 for some random coach care oil changes we do.

We use Delvac 15w40 in all of our earth moving equipment and class 8 diesel trucks @ 500 hr intervals. All the 6.7 PSD trucks get Motorcraft 5w40 or T6 @ 350 hrs or 5k miles.

I heard one of the office guys say we went through like 55,000 gallons of 15w40 last year
My gosh ... that's a lot of oil. I hope your office staff is getting a great deal on that much bulk!

My shop belongs to.... personally ...... me.

I currently have 30 gallons of SuperTech 15w40 on the shelves. I opted for it over Rotella T4 15w40, cause I got it for $8 a gallon, as opposed to $14 a gallon for Rotella.

Back