What is your favorite/least favorite small engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of favorites.

I like my Kawasaki v-twin because of the power and quality engineering. It's an extremely well thought out motor and easy to service. Still runs strong despite lots of neglect in early life.

I also love Briggs flat heads. They are simple, tough, and hard to kill. This is a legendary engine design and it will be sad to see it go. Briggs is coming out with a new line of OHV engines that will replace the flat heads over the course of about a year.

Most Briggs engines in general are pretty good. As stated in another thread my OHV Briggs mower starts on the first pull even after sitting for 8 months. Then again, I've seen newer Intek powered riding mowers that run like [censored] at idle.

Subaru Robin engines are good, but parts availability isn't quite as good as with Honda and Kawasaki. Honda and Kawasaki are really on top of parts.

I like Hondas overall, but they are more finicky about having clean, quality gas than a Briggs flat head, and they seem more prone to bent crankshafts in mowers. Usually with a Briggs or Kohler the key will shear before the crank bends. Assuming you don't go mowing your branches and rocks though, a Honda engine can last a very long time.

Kolhers are pretty good overall, but the larger single cylinder Courage motors had some problems. Overall the lineup is good though. They also have some interesting, though very expensive diesel options.

I never liked Tecumseh engines very much. Troublesome starting, and parts availability can be an issue. I heard good things about their snow engines but I only have experience with mower engines.

With two strokes, I appreciate a quality design like Echo or Dolmar, but I have amazing luck with cheapies. I have a Homelite trimmer that's 4 years old and still starts easily. Never have done any maintenance on it except for replacing the trimmer head when I melted it in some really thick grass. I also have a Poulan blower that is pretty reliable aside from melting itself and occasionally needing the cylinder head bolts tightened.

I like my Briggs and Stratton 6.25. It's 6 years old now and all I have ever done is oil, plugs, and air filter. Couple of pumps on the primer and a half pull on the starter rope and it starts first time every time.

My Champion Chonda generator is even easier. I do have to adjust the valves once every hundred hours but do not have to worry about a primer bulb. It's well over 200 hours now.

I like my Echo leaf blower. Turn on kill switch, pump primer bulb a couple of times, and a short single pull on the starter rope. First time every time.

I dislike my Troy-Bilt 2 cycle trimmer. Pump bulb 10X, set choke to full, pull starter rope 3 or 4 times until it attempts to run, pump primer 2 more times, set to mid choke, pull starter rope 5 to 7 more times until it runs and run lightly until it warms up enough to turn the choke off. If you get into the throttle too soon it will stall and you have to repeat most of those steps. It's been mostly reliable, It's just so frustrating compared to the Echo.

Got a Homelite 26cc hedge trimmer. It's even worse than the Troy-Bilt string trimmer. Prime 10X, set choke, pull 30-40X until it tries to run, quickly spray a little DeepCreep into the carb and replace filter, prime 5X, set choke to half, pull 3 or 4 more times then work the throttle just enough to keep it running for a few minutes. If you deviate just one step, it will not run. It has good spark and the top of the piston is a nice dull silver color. Once it has been running awhile, it will idle on it's own but it is murder to start. Always has been.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: lexus114
The old Kohler "K" motors. Very smooth/quiet.

I do like the old Kohler "K" series motors. Very rugged and reliable.
I had a John Deere 208 with a K181 in it. Washed it one day, fired it up to pull it in the garage and the connecting rod snapped like a pretzel and spun and chunked the cylinder walls. That was the end of that one. I have a Kohler Command 14hp single in the Craftsman LT4000 that does just fine for me now though.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I had a John Deere 208 with a K181 in it. Washed it one day, fired it up to pull it in the garage and the connecting rod snapped like a pretzel and spun and chunked the cylinder walls.

That's highly unusual for a K-series. Rods and cranks are very strong on them.

I wonder if it hydro-locked from the washing? I've heard of odd situations where a hard misfire or backfire can throw a wrench into the works, but never on a K.

Kohler K's are a legendary engine for longevity. I owned a few oldies and loved them. Smooth, quiet and efficient? NO WAY!

They shake like a popcorn popper, are about as loud as a helicopter and burn lots of fuel. The shakes and noise however are typically dealt with by the machine they're bolted on. High-end machines with them, deal with those issues nicely.

Joel

Last edited:
Robin Subaru and Kawasaki seem to work best for me.

Briggs are fair at best. I've not had the worlds best luck with them. Yes, some of the older ones seemed to last forever, but when studied with objective criteria, they really were not that great. Nor that long lived.

I know of zero Briggs that have 1500 hours of honest, full power use.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Briggs are fair at best. I've not had the worlds best luck with them. Yes, some of the older ones seemed to last forever, but when studied with objective criteria, they really were not that great. Nor that long lived.

For the price, they don't have to be.

Just guessing, but I think my B&S has about 250 hours. It's been repaired zero times. My neighbor's Honda has maybe 40-50 more hours (based on one hour a week, 40+ weeks a year) It's been in for carb repairs.
Just by accident or by his attention to detail, our deck heights are identical. If we mow on the same day, you cannot tell where his yard ends and mine begins by the grass. So no benefit to the more expensive mower there either.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have a better quality machine. Just because I geek out about things like that. But on a dollar for dollar basis (and my mower was a housewarming gift so no $$ out of my pocket) it's hard to justify not using a B&S powered machine.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: Cujet

For the price, they don't have to be.

Just guessing, but I think my B&S has about 250 hours. It's been repaired zero times. My neighbor's Honda has maybe 40-50 more hours (based on one hour a week, 40+ weeks a year) It's been in for carb repairs.
Just by accident or by his attention to detail, our deck heights are identical. If we mow on the same day, you cannot tell where his yard ends and mine begins by the grass. So no benefit to the more expensive mower there either.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have a better quality machine. Just because I geek out about things like that. But on a dollar for dollar basis (and my mower was a housewarming gift so no $$ out of my pocket) it's hard to justify not using a B&S powered machine.

That's how I look at it. You can get a much better engine than an old Briggs flat head, but for what it is it's an unbeatable engine. You can buy a lawnmower at Wal-Mart or Home Depot for $120 that will probably last 20 years easily with very basic maintenance. They definitely are not refined engines, but there's something to be said for how stupidly simple they are. I remember as a kid pulling out some old Briggs flat head engines that someone had dumped next to a swamp. I put the good parts from the three engines I found together and got a running engine. It didn't run great, but it ran.

I do some mowing as a part time gig, and it's mostly foreclosed houses so the yards are messed up. For that I have my Kawasaki powered Great Dane. Totally different class of mower from a mower in a cardboard box. The typical home owner can get a whole lot of use out of a $120 mower though, so they have their place.

I've had very good experience with Tecumseh and Briggs engines.
My old LawnBoy two stroke was also very good.
These small engines seem unkillable as long as you keep oil in the gas for the two strokes and in the crankcase for the four strokes.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I wonder if it hydro-locked from the washing?
uh, nope. It was running and driving back to the garage when it snapped. Air filter was bone dry. Just happened I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back