What is this stuff?

1. G-05 is the tradename for HOAT from the 1980's that was developed by BASF or Glysantin. The original HOAT was used by Mercedes, Ford, Chrysler, and several mores European makes in the 80's up to the 00's as a factory coolant but is now replaced.
2. Silicates not silicone is are generally found in HOAT's to help with corrosion protection in the short term.
3. Asian Red is a P-OAT or P-HOAT, just a OAT coolant with some phospate added that is dyed red. All the Asian makes are now using P-OAT's that are essentailly all the same with the biggest difference the colour of dye they add to their product (Toyota = red, Honda = blue, etc).
4. Dexcool is GM's tradename for it's OAT coolant. For an OAT to be Dexcool it needs to pass GM's performance test and pay GM to use the name. So Dexcool is just GM's OAT, and there are many OAT's out there.
5. Modern OAT based coolants are adding phosphates and/or silicates to generally help with corosion protection in the short term. It's now became more popluar to add phopshate to OAT or Si-OAT coolants because it solves issues with CAB brazed heater cores used in some vehicles made very recently. Ford has switched from a OAT to P-OAT recently, and BMW and Volvo switched from Si-OAT to PSi-OAT's because of this reason.
6. There's always Google, but just remember that now everbody is using OAT based coolants so you really can't mess it up, at worst the colour could change (but the universal OAT's use a very light dye that solves that potential problem).

One last thing is don't worry about 2-EHA, many modern factory and aftermarket coolants use it and it's perfectly fine. GM used some garbage gaskets back in the 90's that failed early regardless which coolant was used and some people (wrongly) concluded it was the work of 2-EHA and hence the misinformation has been spreading since then.

This is super informative, thanks for shedding light on the G05 designation, that makes sense. Also, good to know that all the bad stuff I am reading about 2eha isn't quite true.

Thanks!

Okay, so things are really starting to come together here, and I really do appreciate all your patience. Maybe one last thing:

Which kinds of coolant should not be mixed? Is it okay to mix a HOAT with OAT, or a P-HOAT with and OAT? (Ford's yellow seems to be a P-HOAT, and I have been strongly cautioned not to mix it with the factory-filled Motorcraft Gold which is a HOAT.)

Okay, so things are really starting to come together here, and I really do appreciate all your patience. Maybe one last thing:

Which kinds of coolant should not be mixed? Is it okay to mix a HOAT with OAT, or a P-HOAT with and OAT? (Ford's yellow seems to be a P-HOAT, and I have been strongly cautioned not to mix it with the factory-filled Motorcraft Gold which is a HOAT.)

I'm going to go with not mixing anything. There are formulations & combinations of IAT, OAT, HOAT antifreeze that can be mixed together but realistically without knowing the formulations I wouldn't risk anything.

I believe Stellantis has quite a few vehicles where people have reported sludge formation when mixing HOAT & OAT coolants.

Exactly.

There were some vehicles that had materials in them that were not compatible with 2-eha. I think that is probably in the past though.

All universals have 2-eha in them (I believe.) If it was so bad, why would they have it in there? Clearly vehicle cooling systems aren't failing left and right using them.

I think it's wildly overblown.

Also, don't use FRAM. Cardboard end caps! You're DOOMED!
The engines that are going to have major issues with 2-EH are ones that use silicone in their cooling systems...gasket and hose materials. If it's rubber, no issues.

This is from the H/K coolant (long life pink) although apparently there is no difference between their green & pink coolants other than the dye.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505_022821_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_022821_eBay.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 18
Back