What is the best Minivan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avoid Freestar. Worst vehicle ever made and that I have ever driven in my life. We had one as a rental. With 800 miles on it, the vehicle already had tracking problems. The brakes were squishy. The transmission doesn't know what a downshift is. The fuel economy was dismal and it's not very comfortable at all.

My buddy just bought a 97 Honda Odyssey with 60k miles, for $4k. Not good for towing anything big but hauls 6 people around just fine. Its really just a bigger mazda 5.
It gets about the same mileage as the newer vans but the initial cost makes it such a good deal.
8 year old used 6 cyl odyssey's are in the high teens here in canada.
Ian

We had an 04 Freestar, and liked it. We kept it about 2 1/2 years, and had no problems. The 3.9 was a very torquey motor.

This summer we had a new Grand Caravan (3.3 Flex Fuel) as a renter. I was very disappointed. The build quality was low. The interior was cheap. The power was very poor. MPG was also very poor. I would have prefered a 4-yr old Freestar over it.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Astro/Safari vans. I know they are crude and (heaven forbid! truck like!) old school - but they were tough and lasted. I used to work at the plant that built them until GM eliminated the M/L van and closed the plant in Baltimore, MD. I then moved to another plant in Texaa.

Chrysler transmissions SUCK! Especially on their minivans. I can tell when a chrysler pulls up to the intersection outside my house without even looking out the window by listening to that ridiculously loud CREAK they all make when down shifting. My family has a 99 caravan... 3 transmissions. 2 within original factory warranty. Cylinder #6 has a firing issue that the dealer tried to fix during the warranty period... problem persisted passed warranty and so now its no longer under warranty? [censored] service, [censored] product. The last transmission transplant has lasted much longer than expected, though. I give that credit to me going elsewhere than the dealer. It is the beater car we use to haul [censored] around. It gets about 14-15mpg because of the firing issue. Going to run it into the ground then going Toyota like all the other cars in the garage. Never Chrysler again.

BTW, to GMBoy... I loved the Astro/Safari vans. We used to rent those all the time when going on big family road trips. Big, powerful, reliable. The only problem was rear wheel drive. I got stuck in a freak hail/snow storm in colorado while renting one of those. Never did so many (non deliberate) donuts in my life! Short wheel base + rear wheel drive = donuts. Did they make awd versions?

Originally Posted By: t0ked
BTW, to GMBoy... I loved the Astro/Safari vans. .... Did they make awd versions?

yes, the AWD ones are very good. I had a RWD '94 for awhile, lots of room, 18mpg (w/o trying to get better)and did I mention lots of room? the AC units are reportedly a problem, the condensor fails/leaks, door handles and switchgear also are a problem. for the snow, I put 2 agressive snow tires on, never had a problem again. if I bought another one, I wouldn't mind a 2WD version again.
I saw this is an old thread, but no one mentioned the mazda MPV. the 2 generations are completely different; I've owned both. the 1st gen were full Japanese deals, RWD/4WD, hinged rear doors from '96-'98. it was the 1st true 'crossover', a 4WD minivan. that's what I have now.
I've also had a 2nd gen (introduced in 2000), traditional FWD minivan. 1st mini to have a flipover 3rd row; it also folded flat into the floor. rear doors have real operating windows. handles well, reliable ford V6. my '00 had the 2.5, underpowered, later ones had the 3.0 duratec, much better.

AstroV8_Engine-1.jpg

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/AstroVan_V-8.html ]

Have you considered something like a Mazda 5?

They may call it a "crossover," but once you see the interior, you KNOW you're in a minivan.

And, IMO, the Mazda 5 puts any minivan to shame in terms of performance, handling, and build quality.

The Mazda 5 intrigues me, but it only has six seats and I need seven. In addition, there is no where near the amount of space in a Mazda 5 as the Sienna or Odyssey. I bet I could beat a 5 in a race with my Ody. Would have fun trying.

ref

The Mazda5 is a little underpowered when the seats are full. I have no doubt an Odyssey would beat it in the acceleration category. It only has a 4 cyl with 153 hp. Handling and braking would go to the Mz5, though. It should be better for the 2010 model year when the 2.5L engine is available that puts out around 170 hp. My wife loves the 5 and will probably be our next car some time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back