what is the best gas for your vehicle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just curious of what seems to be the favorite gas for your vehicles,
my car runs on regular unleaded and what seems to work best as far as mpg or litres/100 km ,smoothnes ,power, is Shell
or Sunoco gas, others seem to not make my engine run as nice,

anybody else notice differences amongst different brands ?

I use Shell V-Power in all my vehicles.

If I don't fill with that it's Chevron or Mobil

I don't touch Arco, 76, Valero, or anything else.

My XJR and 04 Cobra both demand premium and my 05 FJR uses 87.

Shell V-Power 93 octane 90% of the time for my 03 Matrix XRS (Premium required). BP or Amoco or Hess the rest of the time usually.

Shell/Murphy USA/ or whoever 87 octane for my 04 Tacoma.

I prefer Shell as they seem to be the cheapest and I have not had a problem with their fuel to date. I once filled my 93 Corolla at some Stop and Rob and got a tank full of water. I have not been back to this day.

I used Sunoco mid-grade for 2-3 months when I initially purchased my car in May 2005. I kept wondering why it didn't run very well.

Then I was introduced to "Top Tier" concept via BITOG. In this area Shell predominates, so I started using V-Power for several months. Car ran great.

I then switched to Shell mid-grade. I now use nothing but that with an occasional tank of V-Power.

I buy my Gas from Costco. That place is always crowded, so I know they move alot of gas. I also try to go first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds and to get that "little bit more" Their prices average about 10 cents cheaper than most "cheap" gas stations. Both of my vehicles seem to run just fine on it, and I have been adding Lucas UCL to my Tacoma's tank recently.

quote:

Originally posted by martyi:
Chevron. If you use anything else you better have a supply of FP60 on hand.

Why?

Thats quite a blanket statement.

If it's top tier gasoline I don't think you or anyone would have a problem.

I buy ANY brand gas that is sold at a station that sells ALOT of gas. (whichever is lower priced)
patriot.gif

I've NEVER had a single problem with injectors or carbs in hundreds of thousands of miles.

Neither has anyone in my family so we are talking about many cars/trucks in a few states (CA,UT,NV,PA,MT,CO,TX,FL)
tongue.gif

This top tier ** is another marketing move IMO.
pat.gif

It's working I guess...
nono.gif

I will not *buy* into it... I've bought the "better" gas (when I've had to on a trip) and no better performance or MPG.

Reg unleaded for the Corolla and most of the time Reg unleaded for the Chevy truck. (if it's hot, I sometimes run the mid grade 87 for pinging)

My 2 cents...

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Anyone have problems with Valero? They are $.20/gal cheaper than the surrounding stations but my car runs like cr_p. My startups hesitate too... I don't know why I do this just to save $.20/gal.
tongue.gif
Today is my 5th time I've filled up there - and I had a hard time getting my car started.
frown.gif
Things we do for money...

I too like the Shell gas, but my Corolla seems to like the Esso stuff as well. The Sunoco gas makes the car run smoother, but it also seems to negatively affect fuel mileage by roughly 75km or more per tank. I would think though that when all stations in Toronto switch to 5% Ethanol it won't much matter what you put in your car. Sometime in 08 I hear TO will be running 10% in all gas. I hate it, but what can be done about it. I'll complain, but unless all of Ontario does, nothing will change.

Ethanol is a horrible way to protect the environment and it isn't cost effective. It uses more energy to make the fuel, than you get out of it, and it inceases the amount of VOC emmsions. This so happens to be the leading proponent of ground level ozone issues most urban cities suffer from.

In my area, the stations which carry Murphy Oil's gasoline -- Spur and Wal-Mart -- are about .10 to .20/gal. cheaper than Shell or Chevron. I've never had any problem with Murphy gasoline, and get no better mileage with the name brands.

If I'm short of cash, the Chevron station gets to see my Chevron credit card. Otherwise, I buy by price.

My Benz requires premium, but since it isn't a supercharged snorting monster of an engine, I'd consider (like Iain) using mid-grade Shell with the occasional V-Power fillup. I'd have to see how the car performs, and I'd have to run the numbers to see if I'd come out of it ahead. Probably simpler to stick with Wal-Mart.

ETA: If you live at a high elevation, like Denver of Albuquerque, and your car specifies premium, you might well be able to do with mid-grade. I ran mid-grade in my I-6 and V-8 Benzes in Denver, and got good mileage, no driveability problems, and no damage.

Shell. My shell citi mastercard gives me 5% back on all Shell gas purchases. Makes it the cheapest gas around by far, when prices are over $3 (like they are still).

Shell for me for the exact same reason as Surfstar. We apparently have the same mastercard. I also like the fact that it's top tier rated, so I don't feel that need to use separate cleaners in my fuel tank.

I buy Citgo because.....NOT.

Actually when I had my turbo, Chevron worked the best.

Now with my NA cars, the cheapest regular is the best in the Ody and the Cheapest mid grade is the best in the 855.

Non-Oxygenayed, Non-Ethanol, pure Gasoline is the best.

If you're asking for a station, I would have to say Shell, 92 Octane V-Power.
smile.gif

cheers.gif

I buy 93 octane gas for my GTI at a little discount liquor & tobacco shop that also sells the cheapest gas in town. Been getting it there for a while. No problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back