What is "Plan B" if I can't get Amsoil Z-Rod for My 1990 Corvette ZR-1.

And that would also be why a 0W-40 would make sense because it isnt subject to an 800ppm cutoff!

800ppm is lower than 1000-1100ppm 🙂
Exactly, the xW-40 grades were not subject to the limit on phosphorous. That's why GC 0w-30 stated SL on the label still, while GC 0w-40, M1 0w-40...etc all went to SM, then SN.

Now, for extra credit.. maybe.... do you think OP is over-thinking the ZDDP part of oil for his LT5 Corvette engine? Or not necessarily. (Sounds like he could have done well with QS Defy, if ZDDP was a thing.)

I've asked myself a ZDDP question in the past, as well, now I'm leaning towards that maybe oil has come past needing ZDDP to protect an engine that may have needed it when it was made.
Overthink something? Me??? Never! :)

Supertech 5w40 VOA would show the z/p levels, and is all the OP was looking for..... If the VOA showed a 300/400 p/z level, would you believe the label at all? or is it more believable when 1000/1100ppm?
No, the topic was the list of approvals on the bottle as you noted in your post:

"The supertech 5w40 would need a VOA for better info concerning the meets/exceeds on the bottle label."

Warren Distribution is very forthcoming with their info on their Mag1 site, which is what Supertech is. Crazy it's priced at $19.77 Canadian dollars for 5L. :D

That's a really weird PDS. The only approval is API SN 🤷‍♂️

MSDS seems to point to it being 60-80% Group III, which explains the Pour Point and VI.

Edit: This is clearly a "price point" oil. I suspect that they've purchased an additive package that's "appropriate" (but not approved for) for the Euro applications listed. Noack is right at the limit at 10% (M1 0w-40 is 8.8%). Probably OK for an out of warranty Euro sled, though I wouldn't use it personally with the price difference between it and M1/Castrol being so little.

Last edited:
Years ago pick up for less that 15 bucks thinking it's liquid gold now 😆
20220701_174838.jpg

The Castrol 0w40 is probably just as good as the Mobil 1. One of those two should fit the bill. Personally I like the Castrol.

Thank you! This is what I was wondering, if your oil says API SP on it, it has an upper limit of 800ppm phosphorous (it seems.)
That is not what I concluded and that is not what the article stated.
The only question then I can immediately think of is.. since zinc "interacts" with the phosphorous, what relevance does this have? (Thank you also for introducing this aspect, with information.)
I assume you had science and chemistry in H.S. In chemistry Do you recall what a compound is?

Remember its ZDP or ZDDP we are talking about, its got Zn and P and S in its make up. Think of it as a LEGO toy or, better yet, a TinkerToy. All the parts come along with it, but automakers are primarily concerned about the P level as this is what contaminates the Cat Converter(s) PF's and lambda sensors - if the vehicle is burning oil at some rate other than near negligible.

zddp.jpg

Last edited:
That is not what I concluded and that is not what the article stated.

I assume you had science and chemistry in H.S. In chemistry Do you recall what a compound is?

Remember its ZDP or ZDDP we are talking about, its got Zn and P and Na in its make up. Think of it as a LEGO toy or, better yet, a TinkerToy. All the parts come along with it, but automakers are primarily concerned about the P level as this is what contaminates the Cat Converter(s) PF's and lambda sensors - if the vehicle is burning oil at some rate other than near negligible.

View attachment 106213
In case it helps, here's the API guide itself:

Under SP:
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 11.32.36 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 11.33.19 AM.jpg

You'll notice that "phosphorus % mass, max", shows 0.08% for 0W-16, 5W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30. xW-40 grades and xW-50 grades aren't listed under that column.

Under "Other Viscosity Grades", the phosphorus % mass, max value is NR.

You'll also note "Resource Conserving" applies to all grades.

So, you can claim SP on an xW-40 without limiting phosphorus, as long as you don't claim "Resource Conserving".

Under SP:

You'll notice that "phosphorus % mass, max", shows 0.08% for 0W-16, 5W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30. xW-40 grades and xW-50 grades aren't listed under that column.

Under "Other Viscosity Grades", the phosphorus % mass, max value is NR.

You'll also note "Resource Conserving" applies to all grades.

So, you can claim SP on an xW-40 without limiting phosphorus, as long as you don't claim "Resource Conserving".
The article I quoted discussed an upcoming requirement for dual-rated lubricant so possibly API CK-4/SP. I did not follow up to see if that requirement was agreed upon.

So NO phos limits on non resource conserving "heavier" grades. That answers Schwinney's question.
I had not heard rumors of limits on the other grades -but I didn't want to state that without documentation,.
Yesterday I was having a hard time finding the current S- service category requirements. Almost 100 degrees F in the Log Cabin attic and no AC; It must have got to the little walnut brain that I have remaining :)
I usually find this stuff at the Lubrizol site.
Thanks! - Ken

The article I quoted discussed an upcoming requirement for dual-rated lubricant so possibly API CK-4/SP. I did not follow up to see if that requirement was agreed upon.

So NO phos limits on non resource conserving "heavier" grades. That answers Schwinney's question.
I had not heard rumors of limits on the other grades -but I didn't want to state that without documentation,.
Yesterday I was having a hard time finding the current S- service category requirements. Almost 100 degrees F in the Log Cabin attic and no AC; It must have got to the little walnut brain that I have remaining :)
Thanks! - Ken
You are quite welcome!

Thanks! - Ken
You are quite welcome!

The More You Know 🙂

Now I do understand why GC remained SL in 0W-30 (just like OVERKILL explicitly stated yesterday.) And why an xW-40 is attractive in that regard (past API SL.)

I've still also never seen a Resource Conserving xW-40.. probably for that reason lol.

Back