what is friction modifer/limited slip additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tranmkp

Question 3 - I just put a new high flow head on - 1200 miles so far - would it be a good idea to go on and do an oil change now? Just in case or go the additional 2k more for the change?

I prefer to do an oil change immediately after the head is replaced. That is because even if you are careful, you will almost always contaminate the engine oil with dust and antifreeze.

Originally Posted By: tranmkp
This is a gen 1 model - so no Haldex or electrics - just replaced the trans and rebuilt the bevel gear (just a ring and pinion on a pto) Trans is a aw 42 that is new(factory rebuilt). Checked the rear end also.

Anyway, when all back together, real tight turns produced a binding/popping in the rear dif (there is a VC forward of the rear dif and that is new too) put some of the Ford FM in it and for the most part it has gone - only comes back if I hoon the car.

Question 1 - Should I try to eliminate the binding now that is is almost gone?

Bevel Gear - The thing with the 1st Gen awd volvos is the tight setup when the awd kicks in - almost instantly when the front wheels slip. This is great but it is really important to keep the tires within 3/32. Better to have smaller tire on back for all the reasons you would know about AWD. If tires are not correct you cook the VC, which stress the drive shaft which stresses the bevel gear - gear only holds a liter - it get hot under load, being under vented, pressure builds oils seeps out then you know the rest.

Question 2 - Volvo recommends the Toyota synth gear oil. In a straight line with good tires I would think that the load on the bevel gear would be modest - but on a long trip it would still heat up. Besides frequent intervals, is there some extreme uber killer gear oil that I could use? When I opened the gear it was like pudding inside - gears were ok though (shop said so)

Question 3 - I just put a new high flow head on - 1200 miles so far - would it be a good idea to go on and do an oil change now? Just in case or go the additional 2k more for the change?

Sorry, but the other 2 questions don't seem relevant to the topic of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back