What if GC changes again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If GC changes again, would my 14 quart stash become obsolete? Granted, I've only got the gold, so it wouldn't be too bad for me. But what about those with large stashes of the green (like pscholte)? That would be the equivalent of surfing online with a 33.6k modem, wouldn't it?

Seriously though, if it changes again, we'll just have to get another VOA of the new stuff. Then we can go from there. I'd be willing to bet it would be just as good, if not better. Castrol probably wouldn't start making an "inferior" oil. R&D likes to go forward....

Dave

jdm90: Start looking at AutoZone stores in your area, they don't all carry GC, but it is the only auto parts chain in the U.S. you'll find it at.

quote:

Obviously, the green to gold was a no brainer. But what if they change the gold formula (for the worse [Mad] )? Will anyone notice in time?

In time? In time for....what?
shocked.gif

...and WHY, pray tell, would they do that (change it for the worse)? I am still waiting to see a line of thinking develop on this forum that goes, "What will we do if they change Mobil 1/Pennzoil/Quaker State/havoline/Chevron/etc/etc." So Castrol is gonna surely get us all sooner or later?...and they are the only ones who will? Please, let's put an end to the paranoia! Castrol changed the formula for the better to meet Mercedes Page 229.5. Why has that caused panic? That is like saying Chevrolet has changed the Corvette engine so that it produces 425 hp and gets 32 mpg...oh no, what will they do to us next?
dunno.gif

I'd say the next event, given what we have seen in the Euro oil wars, is for Castrol to start bringing in a version of their 229.51 Edge marketed as Syntec. I just wish they would bring in the whole Edge line and be done with it (not to say that isn't already happening in some form behind the scenes). (I guess in that case it will become EC [English Castrol] or GBC [Great Britain Castrol], huh?)

quote:

Originally posted by Dave H:
If GC changes again, would my 14 quart stash become obsolete? Granted, I've only got the gold, so it wouldn't be too bad for me. But what about those with large stashes of the green (like pscholte)? That would be the equivalent of surfing online with a 33.6k modem, wouldn't it?

Seriously though, if it changes again, we'll just have to get another VOA of the new stuff. Then we can go from there. I'd be willing to bet it would be just as good, if not better. Castrol probably wouldn't start making an "inferior" oil. R&D likes to go forward....

Dave

Never underestimate the powers of the beancounters.

I'm sure there is an axiom or a postulate named after an engineer that goes something like this: "If you ever run across a great design or engineer a perfect product, don't worry, someone will come along later and mess it up."

EVERY oil on the market is reformulated about every 3-4 years, when the API and/or ACEA specs change. So of course GC will change in time....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by reyjay1:
I'm sure there is an axiom or a postulate named after an engineer that goes something like this: "If you ever run across a great design or engineer a perfect product, don't worry, someone will come along later and mess it up."

Close enough! And from the other posts, if the "Bean Counters" can't ruin it then "Marketing" will, LOL!

quote:

Originally posted by jdm90:
Does anyone know who sells GC in Birmingham,Alabama? For me, it is a myth, since I have not seen it. Thanks.

Homework jdm, do your homework! Autozone only! Plenty of gold GC around Pensacola this weekend. It remains a myth for you only because you haven't looked in the right places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back