What happened with vinyl tops over the years?

Had a 72 Roadrunner with that partial vinyl roof. Loved it at the time.

Vinyl tops had their place in that era.
Best way to put it. '71 LTD, my first ride. Two doors, metallic green. C-6 trans, 2.71:1 rear end. 400M 260hp, 330 tq. Top end 130+.
The pebble pattern all over the roof helped break up that sea of sheet metal called 'hood'. All six feet of it. Plus the trunk that could hold four grown men. And their beer. Roof never peeled or cracked or rusted. Think one of the 'LTD' badges came loose, but not the laurel underneath it, never fell out, it was just loose. Slightly.
That was a good engine, before they clipped the C.R. & installed retarded timing chain sets..... wth happened to this country?
Happy Memorial Day To All BITOGers.

My dad had an '86 Cadillac Coupe DeVille with a landau top over the rear seat. Scrubbing mildew out of the creases was a thing and he always had me condition it with some kind of conditioner (can't remember what) - the mildew definitely came on quick. Couple years after he bought it (used) one of the opera lights just fell off and disappeared, I think it was 4-5 years old at that point and he didn't care so it was just a hole in the vinyl for the wiring for the rest of the time he had the car.

Florida was famous for dealer installed vinyl tops. They were doing it well into the '90's for special geezer editions.
Lots of Taurus and Continentals out there with those ''custom special edition'' tops on them for example.
And don't forget those simulated convertible roof jobs also.

I had the vinyl top replaced on a '77 Pontiac my wife and I had in the late 80's & early 90's. The car was in decent shape, but the top was in tatters.
I sure don't miss cleaning vinyl tops or whitewall tires, a routine part of car care back in the day.

It went the same place as Teal color cars. It will also go the same place soon where “overland” editions of more car based CUVs are headed.

These are the vinyl tops that after several trips to the car wash they would get wax build up and look like garbage? OR-on many models rust would form by the truck lid where the chrome finishing strips were?

Vinyl tops...another 70's era marvel of absolute junk-so prevalent in that decade.

I had the vinyl top replaced on a '77 Pontiac my wife and I had in the late 80's & early 90's. The car was in decent shape, but the top was in tatters.
I sure don't miss cleaning vinyl tops or whitewall tires, a routine part of car care back in the day.
I used to clean the whitewalls with a Brillo or SOS steel wool pad. Worked like a charm!

My dad had a 1967 Mustang that was dark green with a full white vinyl roof.
Even though vinyl roofs were popular, you didn’t often see full-top ones…haven’t seen many Mustangs like my dads in the years since…if any?

Back