What happened to Goodyear Gatorback Belts?

Pretty straightforward question - that used to always be my go-to belt. Never had a problem with noise, or slipping. Now it seems like that design is dead...any suggestions for use on my C5 Corvette? I am replacing the tensioners and idlers, and belts...but not sure what belt to use. Obviously Gates is a good name, but also looking at Dayco? Thoughts?

IIRC it was bought out by continental
Yes, around 2015. Continental rebranded the Gatorbacks as Continental Elite for a few years and then phased them out starting around 2019+/-.

The most common recommendations here seem to be OEM, Continental, Bando, and Mitsuboshi. Gates and Dayco seem to have fallen from grace at BITOG. Because of this site's influence, I went all OEM Mopar on my recent serpentine belt/tensioner/pulley job. It costs a bit more, but Rock Auto is somewhat better than dealer prices.

Last edited:
Gates makes all of the ACDelco Professional belts. Not sure on ACDelco OEM.

ACDelco Professional Heavy Duty/Fleet (The Green Belts) are Gates in a Delco package.

I put the FleetRunner green belts on my Tahoe and have been very satisfied.

Have ya'll noticed the fuzzy hairs impregnated into belts these days? I wonder if that adds to or decreases longevity.

Please let the conversation continue, but I ended up going all Gates components. Just bought the belts, idlers, and tensioners at the local shop for $265. I know RockAuto would be cheaper, but I still like to support the local shops that can put parts in my hand when I need them.

I always had good results with the Gatorbacks.

The last 2-3 kits I've bought have been Continental, and I'm happy with them. The most recent was for our '15 Grand Caravan. The idler was made in Germany, the tensioner in Canada, and the belt in Mexico.

I've had good luck with a Bando belt recently installed on my car.

About a year ago I installed a Gates on a vehicle with a Chrysler 2.4. It chirped like crazy, when the OEM belt that I was replacing had been quiet and just fine. I ended up going to Ebay and buying a new old stock Gatorback (in continental packaging), and that completely solved the problem. Quiet ever since. Too bad that Continental stopped making the Gatorback product line.

I'll probably use Bando moving forward. They are cheap and seem to work well.

Last edited:
Back