What happened to Forum Rules sticky thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Didn't we use to have a sticky thread somewhere with all the forum rules? Where did it go?

Maybe they're making up new ones ? Saw some mod edits recently where they edited the first couple replies in a thread because the posted quoted the original post. Is that a new rule (that makes no real sense) ? Not a lot of thought went into it..... By the time a reply gets posted, it could be reply # 12 and quoting would be completely appropriate. The person replying has no way to know if their post will be # 2, # 3, and so on.

I think that has more to do with people quoting long posts with giant pictures etc right below the actual post.

Discussing legal matters must be one of those "unwritten" rules.
I agree with Quattro Pete. IMO the rules should be specifically spelled out and pinned in the General Forum Information section at the top so everyone knows exactly what they are.

Originally Posted by Rand
I think that has more to do with people quoting long posts with giant pictures etc right below the actual post.

Nope, the mod's edit notes read, and I'm paraphrasing, "no need to quote the original post in the 2nd post" and ""no need to quote the original post in the 3rd post".

Quoting entire, long posts, including pictures, is just pure, 100% newbie-ish.

Maybe there should be no quoting function at all if thete are "rules" for quoting people's posts, lol.

Since quoting topic been broached here. I've noticed one 'non-newb' several times on the oil filter board that has quoted entire cut and post pics just to make a very short comment. My first thought, what a waste of bandwidth. Second thought, poster is either lazy, inconsiderate or PWD. Perhaps all them. Personally, I'd have no problem with the entire post(s) being deleted. Just me.

Otoh, recently noticed I had relatively short quote, one maybe two lines at most, edited out/shortened with no citing. The no citing or notation of edit bothered me more than the edit. As a rule, I do try to quote only the parts needed to make the point.

Until mentioned by QP hadn't noticed rules missing. I have noticed new rules pinned to the oil filter board. Fwiw, they seem ok to me. Imo that subforum needed some "cleaning up". It had become like the additive sub forum going back to the ARX days. My.02

Everyone will post and reply in their own way/style, no different than how they speak or write to communicate in many aspects in their daily life. Kind of sad really, trying to control/teach/change how people communicate. That should have occured in grades 1 thru 8. Life is too short to worry or get upset about how people post or respond in their own style on a public chat board.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Personally, I'd have no problem with the entire post(s) being deleted. Just me.
I have 'reported' posts like that where the person quotes 27 lines plus images just to add a 4-5 word reply.

Otoh, recently noticed I had relatively short quote, one maybe two lines at most, edited out/shortened with no citing. The no citing or notation of edit bothered me more than the edit. As a rule, I do try to quote only the parts needed to make the point.
Is there by chance a new(er) moderator that's bored and has too much time on their hands ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Is there by chance a new(er) moderator that's bored and has too much time on their hands ?
Or... has a cop mentality/attitude/demeanor. A current/former cop should not be a mod. This is NOT a criticism of cops, they do an amazing job... enforcing laws. I have several close family members who are/were cops, so I recognize "cop mentality" (I constantly mess with them about this).

Since replied, I'll say while displeased and not understanding total post quoting with numerous pics for a few words reply, I've not reported anyone.

To the second query, I don't know the answer. Since by comment it seems it's being done with some regularity now, perhaps an effort to avoid repetition. As noted, I found no edit citing more disconcerting than the actual edit. Really though just commented since it was mentioned.

At the end of the day, this is privately held website and participation here voluntary. To use a cliche', Bitog is their world, we're just playing in it.

That's why I referred to a possibly new mod. I've seen it happen over the years - the newly acquired power goes to their head !

To use a cliche', Bitog is their world, we're just playing in it.

Which goes back to my original question: to play by the rules, it would be helpful to know what they are. The current Forum Rules seem very vague. Maybe it was the owners' intent, but it's not helpful to the users, IMO.

Quattro,

I believe most on BITOG understand the RSP is not allowed, but since the rules don't explicitly say that, we will add that language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back