what grease to use where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the general rules for type of grease and its use?

I went to the store today to find grease for clutch release bearing main shaft and got 4 different opinions.
went online and got another 20 different opinions...

I know Honda has urea grease and I belive break caliper grease but its a special order and kinda on expensive side

what type of grease is best to use for the following applications that is available at local part stores?

repack bearings (wheel and clutch release and others)
repair axle boots
clutch main shaft for throwout bearing
axle shaft that goes into half shaft connector and wheel hubs
grease for moving parts inside the door like lock rods and window roll up gear and rails
door lock assembly
door strikers door hinges, other hinges around the car
plastic moving parts interior
and theres also another clear really sticky grease used in plastic gears and gloveboxes and coin holders that makes it open very slowly instead of just dropping...

so I use that for everything?
to pack bearings for brakes and clutch release?

Honda recommends urea grease but I couldn't find any alternatives

read my post again please LOCAL PART STORES. local part stores don't carry redline most of the time

Quote:
read my post again please LOCAL PART STORES. local part stores don't carry redline most of the time

Pretty much everything you listed calls for a specialized product, it's unlikely an auto parts store will have them on hand

Originally Posted By: fuzzysig
so I use that for everything?
to pack bearings for brakes and clutch release?

Honda recommends urea grease but I couldn't find any alternatives

Do you live near a store that sells high performance upgrade parts? They usually have Redline brand chemicals.

I don't have any local store that sells redline grease.

ok can you give me a basic breakdown of what type of grease is made for what purpose. if there was one grease that works best for every application then why have 20 different options for grease?

or is ok to use dielectric grease to pack bearings

OK. I'm not a grease expert, but here's what I (think) I know:

Wheel bearing grease: There are different kinds, some of which are vehicle-specific. I just repacked the front bearings in my old E-250, and I used a Valvoline grease that says on the label that it's good for Ford wheel bearings and chassis lube. You need to find out what the spec is for your particular vehicle, and use that grease. If you don't know what grease was used the last time the bearings were packed, you should clean all of the old grease off of the bearings and races, and wherever else it collects. Then repack with the correct grease.

If you don't have the manual for your car, you may be able to find it online. It should tell you most, if not all, of what you need to know.

Some greases are incompatible with other greases, and will cause problems if mixed. Here's a link that has some basics: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-grease.aspx

No, don't use dielectric grease on your wheel bearings.

I don't know what Honda you have, and I'm no Honda expert, but I understand that some (most?) Hondas have sealed wheel bearings.

I will try to help you fuzzysig.

I cannot help with the clutch parts, but Exedy has a multipage brochure I have access to that gives alot of detail. IMO, spend your money there....the clutch grease has to hold up to many years and potentially hundreds of thousands of miles, should give a smooth pedal, cannot be inspected, etc.... So email them or maybe someone here knows more....

As far as body points, check the owner's manual, mine states what to use. I will go check for you upon request, but I have no Honda.. But IMO, door hinges, hood latches, etc etc.....just use anything- silicone grease, silicone spray, white lithium (but be sure it doesnt sting your nose since it may be riding with you if you spray the door jambs.........wheel bearing #2 NLGI should do most of your needs.

So, here is the breakdown...

Think Stelth told you what you need for outside stuff...hood latch, trunk latch, wheel bearings, chassis points. So get a tube (or can) of that and read every word on the container.

Then get a little dollar packet of every grease they have at the counter......you guessed it, read every word on those...

Get a :
Red battery grease
Brake grease
Dielectric tune up grease
Heck, go ahead and get an anti-sieze to hold onto

If you still have money,
Get a plastics safe silicone spray

Penetrating oil
WD-40 (or equivalent)

After you get all of these, repost and I will let you know of even more special greases....

You've asked a HUGE question with more than 20 answers... For most applications a regular LB-CG grease of your choosing would work well; I like Valvoline Synpower but there are plenty others for more and less money.

Brake grease is a hot topic, just do a little browsing here. The general concensus, though, is to stick with either syl-glide (NOT a silicone grease) or one of the well known silicone greases like Motorcraft XG3A or the 3M paste. Most of the specialty "brake greases" have very poor reputations. Again, though, its a hot topic.

I can't speak to your clutch shaft requirements, but when I do it on my Mustang's T45 I will likely use either moly paste or the Valvoline Synpower. For brakes and plastic pieces I like Motorcraft XG3A but will be trying out the Jet-Lube silicone paste next due to cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back