What Filter Is Everyone Using On Their 4.6 Fords ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there are any front end bypass filters other than M/C for the 4.6's, but I could be wrong.

FYI the FL910 has a 3/4-16 thread and the FL820 a 22x1.5 thread...so unless someone's put in a different adapter, or a remote mount, I can't see how that works.

Some pics of the FL910 on the car would be great.

Edit: apparently the police cars have a different thread oil filter adapter, so if that's what you're referring to, that would explain the difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Canadastang

Edit: apparently the police cars have a different thread oil filter adapter, so if that's what you're referring to, that would explain the difference.

Bingo that explains it then.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
I believe the K&N, M1, and Wix/Napa Gold all have front end bypass, but I'll check again before purchase.

The last Wix 51372 I installed was dome end (2015 production) and the Mobil and K&N are dome end too.

I don't think there are any thread end bypass filters for this application, except for Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
I believe the K&N, M1, and Wix/Napa Gold all have front end bypass, but I'll check again before purchase.

The last Wix 51372 I installed was dome end (2015 production) and the Mobil and K&N are dome end too.

I don't think there are any thread end bypass filters for this application, except for Motorcraft.

AC Delco PF1250 has a thread end bypass
27.gif

The last one I removed from my '04 Ford Ranger 4.0L looked very good and did not demonstrate startup rattle.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...d_o#Post4076564

The mopar mo-99 for the late model hemis is thread end..i have one cut in a previous post....basically identical to the 820-s except for the adbv.

Last edited:
Canadastang - The PF1250 is an eCore. I don't want you to be misled. It rarely freezes in Houston. When it does freeze, it is usually not a hard freeze. This may have an impact on the ADBV as well as the relief valve functions.

Well, the Mustang never sees winter, but the Lincoln certainly does, including the occasional cold start at -20c (or lower). Are e-cores problematic in cold climates?

Canadastang - the combo valve is made of Nitrile rubber and will harden over time at temperature. MotorKing has stated nitrile will last about 7000 miles or so. When the nitrile hardens, the anti drainback functions and / or relief valve functions may be impaired.

I think nitrile would be fine at -20C. I had no issues down to about 32F/0C for a 5000 mile OCI / FCI.

No issues with nitrile during appropriate length runs, but the ecore I tried gave me horrible rattle starts even in summer. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I heard rumors that Motorcraft (made by purolater) is changing their design to include louvers.

Maybe they figured that since their filter media tears they don't need the better flowing round holes. Otherwise maybe there is too much flow
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back