What Filter Is Everyone Using On Their 4.6 Fords ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What filter is everyone using on their 4.6 ford engines?
I was thinking of the fram ultra instead of the motorcraft filter.The ultra is a little longer also which may be a problem on the Grand Marquis because space is limited. Just curious what everyone else is using.

I use the Motorcraft FL-910S on my 2009 Crown Vic. The FL-820S will not fit my 4.6L.
I think the 910S is an excellent filter. I have used it exclusively for 40,000 miles (changing it every 3,000) and have not had any issues with it.

XG2 on my 5.4 Ford.
wink.gif

When I owned Crown Vics and a Grand Marquis I tried the FL820S, PureOne PL24651, and also the Fram Ultra XG2. Frankly, I couldn't tell any difference between them in performance and the cut open ones all looked good. The grippy yellow cans on the old PureOnes helped in wriggling the filters out of their tight spot, but I also like the way the filter wrench sticks well on the FL820S with its many serations. The Fram seemed slightly bigger and slightly harder to get off the car due to the space constraints. Frankly, I'd probably stick with the FL820S. Best bang for the buck.

I use the 820s on my 01 Escape and 10 Mustang GT. I have used some Microguards from O'Reillys on the Escape. I got them cheap on a special. No issues with either but only the 820s on the Stang.

Usually the FL820S on my Mustang.

I did pick up a "racing" version (M-6731-FL820 HD) to use this next run. I'm going to be doing a trip in July that includes just over 3,000 miles total driving, with some "spirited" driving as well as a track day, so I thought what the heck i'll try the ford racing version.

Can we add to this question... what OIL is everyone using in their 4.6 ford? Since I've had mine I've only used M1 5w20, but I think on that long trip I'm going to run Pennzoil Ultra 5w20.

Recently switched to Fram XG2's when I bought a half dozen for $6 each. Should be on those for a few years. Will use the cheaper ones if I need a quick oil change or flush for some reason. I could use the XG2's for 12 months/8K miles covering 2 OCI's. That would make their effective cost $3 each.

I've used the FL820s and PP1 on my 4.6L Lincoln. Have a couple 820's still left.

At work they are wearing FL-910's which seem small to me given that they are v8's that are whipped on hard. But there seem to be no issues. I would love to cut one though.

If it was my car I'd at least have an FL-400s on there.

I used MC 820's on my 96 Merc GM when I had it. Still use MC 910's and 2017B cartridge on the Fords.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
I use the Motorcraft FL-910S on my 2009 Crown Vic. The FL-820S will not fit my 4.6L.
Is there something special about this 4.6L? The thread pitch is different between a FL-910s and a FL-820s (The 910 is SAE thread and the 820 is metric). Every 4.6L/5.4L through 2012 has used the FL-820s.

OP - I used FL-820s filters at the beginning of my 5.4L's life and then switched to FRAM XG2 filters.

Wix xp, Bosch premium, Mobil 1, still have 1 last motorcraft, I will use it on the mustang.

i was thinking the same thing i did not know the Motorcraft fl-910-s fit the 4.6..

Im thinking the Fram xg-2 is a better quality filter but the Fram XG2 is a little longer and space is tight. I know Motorcraft shortened them for a reason but i don't remember why.
Does anyone know why Motorcraft shortened their 820-s?
Motorking?

Down to my last FL820S that I've been using on the Cobra. May switch to something else after that. Whatever I end up using will have a front end bypass, which limits the choices considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back