What exactly is this Mobil oil?

Is Walmart in the process of discontinuing Mobil lubricants? Went to pick up my jug of 0W-20 EP this week, and the space for Mobil products was bare with the exception of several jugs of high mileage oils
All the different oil brands at my Walmart, located in the North East, was pretty slim pickin's when I went to buy some last week.
I Bought something I wasn't planning on getting, but it's oil and it's now in in the sump doing its job - I hope!

This oil has a very low CC’s value; and works very well in cold weather starting - Had it in my G5 last winter.
Just check that out on PQIA. That is a low CCS value:

Viscosity 100°C cSt
9.3 to -11.2

Viscosity 40°C cSt

Viscosity Index

Cold Crank Viscosity at -30°C
6,600 Max: - 3,430

I like moly and boron #'s as well. May be my next oil.

looks like a direct from distributor one that oil change shops use. whenever you see "mobil synthetic oil changes here" its not gonna be EP. this is the cheapest crap that mobil can technically call full synthetic so oil change shops can upsell it. this is a profit margin oil. i doubt its really all that better than a syn blend you can get for under $15 a jug.
One of the reasons I won’t go to “Mobil1” branded quick lube places is that they aren’t using Mobil1 (at least around here). Their full syn offering is always Mobil super syn.

Just put this in the Tucson. BJ's has a case of 6qts for $22. The 0W20 and 5W-30 carry Dexos1 approval so it may be considered inferior to Mobil1 products due to M1 using PAO and Esters, but its on par with any Group III synthetics out there. Of which there are many.

I don't believe the Pennzoil Full Synthetic ("black label") carries dexos1 approval in any viscosity.

From their website on warrantied OCI:
View attachment 72079

View attachment 72077

Mobil1 5w30 won't have much in the pao department unless it's EP or AP which you didn't stipulate. 0w20 EP should have a decent amount.

Just check that out on PQIA. That is a low CCS value:

Viscosity 100°C cSt
9.3 to -11.2

Viscosity 40°C cSt

Viscosity Index

Cold Crank Viscosity at -30°C
6,600 Max: - 3,430

I like moly and boron #'s as well. May be my next oil.
To achieve that low number (3,430) on a lower tier oil such as this I imagine there will be lots of PPD's.

Mobil1 5w30 won't have much in the pao department unless it's EP or AP which you didn't stipulate. 0w20 EP should have a decent amount.
Sorry if i was vague. My point wasn't how much PAO, just that M1 includes it as an ingredient in various degrees whereas Mobil Full Synthetic and Mobil Super Syn use none according to MSDS. That may be a reason to consider the latter two "inferior" for some on here.

Is Walmart in the process of discontinuing Mobil lubricants? Went to pick up my jug of 0W-20 EP this week, and the space for Mobil products was bare with the exception of several jugs of high mileage oils
I believe you could be righr. The WM near me has a dwindling supply of Mobil 1 products. The only other decent priced brand names are Valvoline and Pennzoil. All three usualy around $22 to $25 for 5 qt jugs.

They aren't discontinuing. It is a supply issue. Our WM is getting new stock. Not very quickly, but it is coming in. They just got 5 or 6 jugs of EP 0w20, which is my fav, so I picked one up. If they were discontinuing, that shelf space would have been converted VERY quickly. They aren't in the business of sitting on empty shelf space when competition for said space is so intense. The other brands are also all in short supply, although not nearly so much as Mobil 1. So folks going in there looking for M1 products are getting into the stock of the other brands when they don't find it. Now those brands are not getting replentished as fast as they are being purchased. PP 0w20 was almost nonexistent, as was Valvoline and QSUD, last I looked.

If supertech is good for 10k i bet this could go 10k in right applications. They just cant have this competing with Mobil 1 is my guess.

Back