What do you use to wipe up oil with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Many towns and municipalities used to use used motor oil to keep dust down and dump it by the tanker load on the fairgrounds near my parents house. I used to flange used oil on our dirt alley by the house growing up to keep dust down. Usually 55 gallon or more. It never killed the grass or trees and the nearby swamp has no shortage of frogs. I think this oil thing is way over thought. Seriously. I watched hundreds gallons of oil be dumped on the bare ground in PA with no ramifications, so you can see my doubts on the worry about oily rags going to a landfill.

Round here the local farmers use waste asbestos cement tiles as road surfacing.

By your logic, since I havn't got mesothelioma (a type of lung cancer) yet, inhaling asbestos dust must be completely safe.

Somehow I don't feel reassured, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulri
At this point I'd love to hear folks discuss Panzerman's point about "no ramifications" of oil being spilled onto the ground. Does anyone here have any expertise in chemical/hazardous waste, that can weigh in on this? I tried googling, but all the results I saw were talking about massive oil spills (like the Exxon Valdez), which are of a different order of magnitude from what we are talking about here.

That's crude oil. I think that's usually less toxic. Used motor oil contains dioxin, a persistent environmental poison that concentrates in the food chain.

Originally Posted By: paulri
Sorry if I'm overthinking this, I'd rather not do anything to hurt the engine, that's all.
crazy.gif

Yes, you're overthinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back