What coolant for 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What coolant would you guys recommend for a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX? The owner's manual calls for ethylene glycol. The car was assembled in 1990 in the USA but the engine was designed and assembled in Japan and shipped here to the USA for installation. The engine is an iron block/ aluminum head.and the car has a Nippondenso radiator. I'm sure they filled the coolant here in the USA but not sure if it was sourced from Japan or the USA. I'm wondering if I should be worried about silicates in the conventional green coolant wearing the water pump seals. And should I be worried about 2-EHA in an engine this old? I've been running the Prestone AMAM Extended Life Antifreeze for a few years now with no issues but back then, I was ignorant about coolants and the differences and just picked something with ethylene glycol but after doing some reading, it seems like an ok choice being that it has no silicates and if I forgo worries about 2-EHA. The Cor-Guard doesn't hurt either.. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
If you can do a complete flush, I'd either run Zerex G05 or Zerex Asian.

But if you can't flush, then keep doing what you're doing. Those are neat cars and becoming very rare too.

All standard, off-the-shelf automotive coolants are ethylene glycol based - it's just the additives that are different between the various types.

That car would have come with 'old-school green' coolant when it was new, and so ideally, that's what you'd want to use, but I don't think you're completely limited to it. As long as the original stuff was completely flushed beforehand, running that AMAM stuff is unlikely to cause any problems. Additionally, since you've been running it for a few years without issue, that seems to be a decent indication that it's doing its job, as long as it's not showing any signs of rust or other contamination.

I'd say you could either continue to just use the AMAM stuff, or a full flush, and switch to one of the following:

G-05 (gold)
Peak Fleet Charge (pink)

..honestly though, in your case, if it were my car, I'd probably just stick with the AMAM at this point. It's easy to find, cheap, and should work fine.

Zerex Asian Blue would be my top choice for that car

But nothing wrong with using Zerex G05 or Peak Global Lifetime

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Zerex Asian Blue would be my top choice for that car

But nothing wrong with using Zerex G05 or Peak Global Lifetime

^^

SuperTech Pre-Diluted Extended Life. Cheap and convenient. Been using it in everything for years. No problems. Been in my Van for 8 years and it tested good the other day. I'm going to change it anyways.

Edit: I use Ph and protection test strips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Those are neat cars and becoming very rare too.

Yes! They are neat cars and the GSX was rare even back then.

So judging by all the responses, silicates isn't a concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back