what coolant additive to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few years ago at my local Walmart , they sell preston coolant additive , that help lubricate water pump and help coolant stay cooler , also protect from rust , I bough a bottle , now today I went and search for it . All 3 my local Walmart no longer carry it, may sound silly but is coolant really need additive for lubricate water pump and protect from rust and help engine run cooler , beside 50/50 coolant , if so what should I get ? Thanks ( not plan to add to my Titan , just some old antique cars I have , thanks

I doubt that any additives do much in the way of lubricating the pump. If any coolant gets to the bearing the seal is shot and the pump will fail. Maybe they refer to conditioning to seal to extend its life? I started using RMI-25 based upon recommendations from this forum. With my car's two gallon coolant capacity I add four ounces of RMI-25 every 15,000 miles. The Mazda coolant I have (FL22) gets changed around 120,000 miles. If it appears to be decent looking I'll continue using RMI-25 and never change the coolant again after that. I may consider coolant analysis at that point.

Normally I would say zero additives should ever be added but in the past I have used the bar leaks tabs which worked nicely on a very slight coolant leak. It worked perfectly. I used the AC-Delco version which is essentially the same thing as the Bar Leaks. I would only do this if I know it wasn't something more serious.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I doubt that any additives do much in the way of lubricating the pump. If any coolant gets to the bearing the seal is shot and the pump will fail.

And in a hurry too.

You don't need to add anything to your coolant if you're not having a problem. Anything you add will probably make cooling worse. But if you have a leak, then of course you can add stop leak but then it might make the car run hotter and you risk blowing a head gasket. A straight 50/50 mix with distilled water is all you need.

google "water wetter gunk" ...it turns brown and gunky. I used it a few times it did turn brown and gunky.

Use just the coolant and if the engine runs too hot something else is the problem.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: Fsharp
No need to use anything, but I use Kool-it

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/KOOLIT_comparison_sheet.pdf

I've used Redline Water Wetter in the past, too with no adverse effects.

Any beneficial effects to using it though?

None that I've noticed, you've got to decide whether or not you want to believe the manufacturer's claims.
I didn't notice gunk build up from the Water Wetter, but now that I know it's possible I wouldn't use it again.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
No additives needed. Replace the coolant at recommended intervals. Nothing else required.

+1

If you need additives... then your masking issues in the coolant system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back