What company makes a decent chain saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my Tanaka ESC-3301B. Bought it new on eBay some months ago. Shipped to the door for $249.
ecs_3301.jpg

Joel

For what it's worth Poulan saw at the local Magic Mart is $99.Good deal for light use IMO.I also have a 10 year old Stihl 029 that cut like a beast when it ran.It wouldn't start I think it's a fuel line problem.But it's heavy.Like the lighter saws.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I love my Tanaka ESC-3301B. Bought it new on eBay some months ago. Shipped to the door for $249.
ecs_3301.jpg

Joel

I've seen Tanaka ice drills and gas powered tools but not their chainsaws. I'm sure they're a decent saw as well. If that's a 33cc or so saw, it's around the same size and price as the Echo 346.

One thing not considered above is the type and quality of the chain the saw uses. Stihl has, by far, the best chains.

I installed a Stihl chain on my Husqvarna 345. It was a huge improvement. However, it's not 100% correct, as the new Stihl chain has the bar at the end of it's adjustment.

The Oregon and Husqvarna chains were horrible.

Even with the flaws, the Stihl chain setup is excellent on the Husky saw.

Yup, the sky's the limit if your willing to spend ~$250 or more. I wanted something smaller for trimming/limbing and really like the top handle this particular model offers. It's a smooth, powerful little bugger @ 32cc. Oregon bars/chains make a big difference, but you can get them on $99 saws now too.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Cujet
One thing not considered above is the type and quality of the chain the saw uses. Stihl has, by far, the best chains.

I installed a Stihl chain on my Husqvarna 345. It was a huge improvement. However, it's not 100% correct, as the new Stihl chain has the bar at the end of it's adjustment.

The Oregon and Husqvarna chains were horrible.

Even with the flaws, the Stihl chain setup is excellent on the Husky saw.

I picked up a new trim saw last year - Stihl MS270 with an 18" bar and found the chain to be less than desirable.
Now, I didn't buy an Oregon or Husky chain so I don't know about those - but rather went back to the local shop and cut a length off of a big roll of chain and made up three chains. All of them are first rate.
I can tell you that the Stihl chains are harder steel (can't sharpen them with a file) so you'll need to stone them. Works Ok for me 'cause I have a stationary sharpener and a portable unit that I run off an inverter when I'm out and about.

Still, many prefer a chain that's a bit softer so that they may "sharpen them up" with a file when they're out cuttin'.

I'll still like the Shindaiwa chainsaws. It maybe overkill and cost $$ a bit more. You can go with the 14" and won't be disappointed but again overkill. But if you want quality it's there.

I do know someone that had used the Shindaiwa 488 for many years(commercial) and recently picked up a Stihl in Las Vegas as price is dirt cheap compared buying locally. Shindaiwa monopolized the market here and expect to pay a premium. The Stihl was a bargain and cheaper because your paying shipping cost if buying locally. He likes the Shin, his reason the Shin has more torque power as the Stihl has high revs. His opinion of course.

I had a Shindawa weedeater and blower. After 15 years I got tired of them and gave them to my son and got another set.

They ain't cheap but they work and work very well.

Never tried their chainsaws

During Hurricane Iniki that hit the Islands during the early 90's there was an emergency order for cleanup in Pearl Harbor.

250 Shindaiwa 488 were issued out. Cleaned out the distributors supplies. In the confused state they didn't track the chainsaws when it was issued out. Only 25 came back.

Are the Echo's and husky's the sane at home depot ect than what you would get at a dealer?My Stihl dealer has shut down,actually a lot of dealers have shut down.It's about 40 miles now for me to go to a dealer.That's why I did the Ebay Poulan purchse.Wal mart and Magic Mart has a lot of parts for Poulan's.

I believe the 100 series Huskys are made by Poulan and that's the same regardless of where it's sold. Echo is Echo no matter where you buy it. The small Echo saws are lighter, and more durable than the 100 series Husky saws. For it's displacement/power, the Husky/Poulan 100 series saw are very heavy.

My Stihl 029 is heavy.Using the Poulan Pro I have now with 16" bar takes a little longer but I like it's light weight.But the Stihl I really wish I could get it running

I have a Stihl MS 290 "Farm Boss" with 20-inch bar. It's a good medium duty saw and my only complaint is it's a bit heavy. It came with a safety chain which is OK for light or medium density wood. I bought an additional Stihl aggressive chain for dense woods like eucalyptus.

Todays market, only three I would ever think of; 1st= Husqvarna, 2nd= Stihl, 3rd= Echo. All three of these brands also make junk so look towards their mid to higher end stuff. I like to buy it once and have it a lifetime. You cannot go overboard as it will just be a better saw that will last longer with proper care.

If you can find an old 1970's homelite super EZ, or EZ automatic, in perfect running shape, these were killer saws in their day and blow every cheap saw today out of the water. I have 4 of them all perfectly running. They are very powerful and lightweight. Everyone stands back and laughs as I brag about it, until they try it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Homelite-Super-EZ-Ch...=item414b682858

Shindaiwa 285s has commercial quality and for all the years using Shindaiwa never needed parts. Shindaiwa are built solid with quality.

This would be the last saw you'll buy in a long while for home usage.

Mamala Boy,

have you heard any rumors regarding any changes to the Shindaiwa and/or Echo lines since they merged this past spring?

I wouldn't know any rumors on the 48 states...but what I've heard here locally. If I heard it right Echo dealers was for North America. What I've heard is the Shindaiwa/Echo here in Hawaii is they have no answer...they are stuck on a business decision.

Reason - - Stihl has more to gain than Echo but it's only common sense if you live here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back