What car & engine lasts the longest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by thrace:
I am happy to see the optimism about life of cars. It seems that most of those who posted are from flat locales. I must say that hill dwellers are not likely to see transmissions last as long as the rest of the car. Transmission failures are much more common than mechanical engine failures here. Locally on our hill, even some with lofty reputations like Honda and Toyota have transmission failures, not just other makes. When the transmission goes, the question may be is a $2000 transmission repair on an older car worth doing.

Just buy a standard shift (Manual trans.) next time, Bud. You'll be able to climb hills all year long with no problems.

I see cars with over 200k and the original engine everyday in my shop. Had a 95' 1/2 ton Chevy truck in the shop today, had 319k on the 4.3 Vortec and according to the owner it was still original.

Ran kinda rough though.

quote:

Originally posted by Speed racer:
Assuming regular oil changes and regular care; what car or truck lasts the longest for the average Joe, without major work? --snip--

What's Major work? That's the question:
Is it A/C work, Brake Work, Tranny or Clutch or Rear-end work / replacemet, What???

The short answer for the average Joe, NONE.
They will probably have the engine and body die at the same time if they kept the car long enough.

Avg JOE - IMHO; They can't get much to last past 150-200K, I think the average Joe trades it in before it's 100'k or least waits til it hits 150K... Maybe 180-200K on a Benz and Lexus.

So for the average JOE I'd say a Toyota would be better because almost anyone unless they have a lemon, can get 200-250K out of one for a car and 300-400K for a truck as long as the fluids are changed;
or Honda 200-250-300max, Volvo the same with eirter one getting least another 2-300K with better than average care.

But if anyone willing to do a little TLC, then I think that a Diesel for sure lasts longer, but in a way it takes more care, and with the new EPA stuff and the new fuel comming out, I think that may very well change unless people re-learn more maintenance procedures.

Well I donno about Subaru even if they will give you a new car if you bring your old Subaru in with over 1,000,000 because I had a GL-5 Wagon 4WD Std 5-Spd. Hi/Low (3settings) and put ???hummm 168-188K ??? anyway, when it was taken, all the dash knobs and buttons kept falling out, and the dash squeeked and the doors rattled (w/electric windows) Oh I miss that car though, got stuck up to the frame front and back, could not open the door without mud comming in, and that 4wdLOW got me outa there... the only thing I did not like about her was the TimingBelt, rather have a chain.

As far as your question, I'd say some cars are better than others overall but it all depends on the owner.

My Granddady when he was young waited until cars could go more than 150-miles without a flat before he bought his first car, and until He was in retirement age, he bought one every year and traded it in. When He retired he bought one, and kept it until he was too old to "drive" and after they took his Lic. away, he went downhill fast.

My grandmother on the other hand would buy a used car she liked with 100K and keep them an additional 2-300K, and she listed dozens of cars ( alot of which no longer make cars ) she had (they were in a traveling circus).whom she preferred Cads. or Chry., in fact one of her Cads is in that guys place (the first one) that put them in the ground with the tails sticking out.

My parents usually kept them (think all chevy) a 1.5-2.?? hundred thousand. Dad now has a new 97 Ford (first time) Diesel 350 Crew cab with the gooseneck and who knows what-else (think he said it's about 140-50K when he got It but I'm not sure.
---------
I've had better results from the imports Like Datsun and Toyota over others. I've had always better results from Trucks or truck like autos like the Subaru Gl-5 than normal autos, I think the trucks hold up better because they are built to carry loads and have to be HD. Truck brakes always last me forever in the rear drum never replaced, and the fronts lasted longer than cars too. Actually come to think of it the truck type hoses, and Alt./Start/ fuel pumps waterpumps etc all have lasted me longer, even the belts, hummm!

All my clutches last around 250-260K no matter the make so there I think its the owner.

Out of the trucks, I know people many people that have the most miles; met several in the 400K, and 500K and 600K and 700K, I myself have done one well over 800K Don't really know though --That darn Speedo cable kept going out.
Most however that I have run across trade them in around 300-400K for Toyota and others in the 250-280K range with normal care. The others that coulda lasted, were wrecked or some act of God happened to their trucks.
Anyway, as far as the trucks, it seems the Fords and Diesel in particular hold up better than the Rock Chevy, and the little trucks hold up better than the full-sized (but diesel)from what I've seen (from hundreds of examples -I've seen). On the same token, the full-sized are usually rebuilt, and keep going.

IMHO the little trucks would rank something like this:
Toyota, Nissan with Ford sorta on their heels, Mazda, then ???

I think if you are going Diesel it's Toyota and then Mitsubishi , Mazda,

Speaking of Mitsubishi
I have not known any people that has them, But I had a lowner about two years ago (with about 40~~?? K) when I had a hit and run done while I was parked (6 that year), anyway for 6 weeks and I think it was about 16K
and I only added about 1/2 or 1/3 Quart of oil, and I punched the heck out of that auto (Monterro)
day and night, through about 15 miles of flood water, Idle all day about 1/3 the time, boy that was one fun Auto - just didn't like the rear --
(a little harder for my Valentine-1, I think), but from my little adventures in it, I'd say I would very much consider having one.

Also have known and talked with many Volvo and Honda guys. Each seems about the same in life, but I have run across a lot of them in the Mid 200's to 300 - 400's.

One of my mechanics has an American??? Think Chevy??? with over 500K. Another Mechanic with an Aerostar and a F350 something like 350K.

I did work at a Ford dealership for awhile and I saw a lot of Jag and Jeep Cherokee's that would come in with 200K but they were falling apart inside.

As far as Price being no object I might suspect the Benz and Bently (sweet) would do you well, I'm sure the Benz the diesel would be better life but I donno. I'm sure here is where the body would hold the longest of any car.

In the long of it, it all comes down to the owner.
If normal maintenance is only oil changes and belts and brakes etc, then look for the Mid 200's Max IMHO.
BUT, if they do flushes, on all the fluids, keep the coolant system up to snuff, change the plugs and cap, keep the terminals clean, etc., then look in the 3-400+K -> ???????????????-K.

Assuming regular oil changes and regular care; what car or truck lasts the longest for the average Joe, without major work? (We are debating this at work.)
Some say Toyota some say Mercedes Benz, others say full size chevy with the 350.- Subaru will give you a new car if you bring your old Subaru in with over 1,000,000 documented miles. Yes, there have been some.
What about that Volvo p1800 with a gob of miles?

"When does a transmission repair turn to $2000. Is this for an automatic?"

Right you are. Trans overhauls on FWD vehicles are often near $2000 USD from an independent shop. Honda dealers quote $6000 on some. Maybe they want to scare you into doing something else, like buying a new vehicle. For that price, maybe a switch to another brand would be in order.

"most European and Japanese cars are available with manuals...too bad domestic does not offer the same (some but not many). " Right again.

"Just buy a standard shift (Manual trans.) next time, Bud. You'll be able to climb hills all year long with no problems. "

Clutches will still wear faster on hills but not likely $2000 to repair a clutch.

Oh, I think every car is exactly the same.
dunno.gif
Are you going to buy based on engine longevity? In most cars the body and accesories will die before the engine. Just pick what you like and maintain it well. BTW- I hear Chrysler might be installing Mercedes' engines so they can sell some cars. All are about the same though, I guess.
dunno.gif
patriot.gif

[ September 02, 2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: AudiJunkie ]

Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 I-6. Have seen some with well over 200,000 and still run like new.
Have also seen Dodge Dakota p/u with 3.9 engine go a long time with moderate abuse. Anything else that lasts longer seems to cost lots more than these vehicles.
cheers.gif

Although I'm generally not a "Ford guy", their 4.9 straight six that was being loaded into the F150's was near bullet proof. I know more than one person with over 200,000 on it, and running very strong.

I also know one gentleman who put 400,000 miles on his original 4.3 out of a Blazer or something. He bought a new long block from my work a few years back and it's since turned 600,000. GEEZ!

The way I drive my car, I'll be lucky to hit 150,000
wink.gif

Oh, and I'd just like to add...

Most people I know won't drive a car much over 120,000, no matter what the age of the vehicle. It's just "too many miles". If they ARE driving a vehicle over that number, then they're just itching to get rid of it because it so old. Sad, but true. Of course, I'll gladly buy their "old" cars with just 120,000 on them. I think they're still just getting broken in
grin.gif

Oh, and the shortest engine life award has to go to the Caddilac Northstar. Mine only had 159,000 on it when it cracked a head
frown.gif

yes, northstars dont have the longest service life. people baby them to much, and they shouod do yearly green coolant changes with the sealant pellets.

the caddy 4.5/4.9 OHV engines are good for 300k+ with good maintenance, and probably one set of injectors

mercedes gasoline straight 6 from the 80's-- see many with 500k+

mercedes 5.0 v8--lots with 200k+

met a guy with a 92 bonneville with 3.8 engine, 350k+ never did one repair but oil changes and 1 belt, 3 alternators, and a set of plugs, cap, rotor, wires. ran great, wasnt rusting. probably never washes it either

chrysler 3.0??? i see lots that run great with 150-200k+

2.2 dodge/chysler--supposed to be bulletproof? and the turbo ones

olds rocket 350 and 307... supposed to be great, seen lots of high mileage ones.

jeep 4.0 inline 6--bulletproog

caddy 6.0 368 8-6-4 horrible reputation. pull the plug and make it a normal v-8 without displacement on demand, and its a bulletproof iron block!

mopar 360

5.0 HO ford motor.

[ September 03, 2003, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: eldawg4100 ]

Jeep's 4.0 will last forever period. It is without a doubt one of if not the best engines ever made by man today. It is truly bulletproof. After that I think the 318/360 and 302/351 are both tied for second place.

[ September 03, 2003, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: badnews ]

Its kind of funny to see some people posting that they have cars that made it 150K. There is no excuse for any decently made auto to not be able to go 250K+. Unfortunately, it seems that many domestic cars can not make it that far, the trucks seem to do better.

I know several people with Nissan Pathfinders approaching 300K miles, my stepsister sold her Toyota Celica with 370K, my father in law drove a Volvo 240 wagon to 270K (which was amazing since the car had zero maintence, only went to the mechanic when it broke), a friend with a Honda Accord with 480k, and myself with 2 BMWs sold with more than 225k. All these cars were on the original motors. All were also on the original transmission except the Honda which had the trans rebuilt at 380K.

Cary

quote:

Originally posted by badnews:
Jeep's 4.0 will last forever period. --snip

saw one in the parking lot today on the way in to my apartment, and looked inside 269K looks clean and I never hear it making any noise or start problems.
Also looked at the older Hondas out there and they are racking in the 200-240K

92 Honda Civic D16Z6 1.6 L SOHC VTEC. It's my beater car and it has 201,487 miles and counting. Original everything, only thing that's been changed is the distributor that went at 120,000. Switched to Castrol 5w-50 (when it was still a PAO) at 3500 miles and changed every 5K until around 96-97 (when I heard castrol went to group 3) switched to mobil 1 5w-30 and stuck with it through 3 different formulas till today. Gonna get a UOA and then switch to german castrol.

[ September 03, 2003, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: magbarn ]

quote:

Originally posted by mormit:
As far as the record for highest mileage on a car, that would be Irv Gorden on his Volvo P1800. He hit two million miles back in March. Volvo gave him his second free car at that time...I don't know why they don't use him in commercials. The guy's a driving nut. Used to have a >100mi round trip commute to work. Drives from NY to Cleveland for lunch.
gr_eek2.gif
Retired so I guess he's got the time. Look up Irv Gorden or Irv-o-meter and you should find him and pics of his car.

That guy is single handedly driving the price of gas upwards. People have been blaming the Saudis for cutting oil production, but the fact is, that dude is sucking every drop of gasoline there is.
grin.gif

my 85 toyota 4x4 pickup had 250k on it when the tansmission went out. it was just the rear bearing on the main shaft but i rebuilt the whole thing. the headgasket went out at 260k. i rebuilt the engine at 275k just because i had the time and money, it was only burning 1.5 quarts between oil changes. it was fed a diet of whatever oil was cheapest and whatever filter was on sale. the axle bearings on the rear axles only lasted 300k. the oem u-joints only lasted 305k before they were making enough vibration to make me want to change them. this was in a truck that went off road often.
the only real problem that the 22r engine has is with the plastic timing chain guides. they have a tendency to break and allow the timing chain to wear a hole into the timing cover's water passage allowing coolant to enter the oil. the rest of the truck is built to handle more power than the 95hp a 22r puts out.

my mom's 1988 4.3 gmc has about 180k on it with zero mechanical issues, although the interior is falling apart and the paint has peeled off. volvos are also known for lasting a very long time. a buddy of mine had one for 250k and it only ever had a fuel pump installed.

I don't know about the longest lasting motor but I can say from my own experience that my 1997 2.0L four cylinder Plymouth Breeze had the least reliable motor of any car I have ever owned. The engine had terrible piston slap by the time it had about 20,000 miles and was rebuilt under warranty. The motor again had terrible piston slap by the time it had about 50,000 miles. The motor was rebuilt again at about 70,000 miles total miles on the vehicle (50,000 since first rebuild). Fortunately I had purchased the Chrysler 10 year 100,000 mile extended warranty. That awful car had oil changes every 3,000 miles and had all of the recommended maintenance performed at or before the required time using the severe service maintenance schedule.

I traded that car in only one day after I got it back from the Chrysler dealer and purchased a 2001 Mazda 626 that has been almost trouble free. The Mazda has had only one problem which was a parking brake cable that broke but the dealer had to make two tries to fix it and also had a minor accident with my car
mad.gif
. I have purchased three cars and one motorcycle since 2000 and they were all German or Japanese designs and I am happy to say that I had very little trouble with any of the foreign brands. I also did not feel I needed to purchase an extended warranty on any of the foreign vehicles and so far I have been right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back