Were the high mileage oils mostly hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The high mileage oils for older cars and trucks were introduced starting a few years ago. Are they mostly just hype? These oils cost about two bucks and change, and regular motor oils cost about a buck and change. The high mileage oils contain seal conditioners and are supposed to reduce or eliminate leaks from seals, and reduce oil consumption. Do they really work or would a person be better off using a regular oil and Auto-RX? Are the high mileage oils just a sales gimmick? Personally myself, I have had great luck with Auto-RX-it seemed to remove sludge from the engine and the slight leaks that I had seem to have completely stopped.

I like the wording of your title:
~~~~~
Were the high mileage oils mostly hype?
~~~~~

As if they've disappeared off the shelves. Who knows, maybe sooner than later. Anyways, I better get some sleep....

-Paul

I don't think they are a gimmick at all, I think the best thing about them is that they are thicker oils, so instead of being like most xw30 oils which are thin 30wts, these are on the high end. Perfect for aging engines. And the added esters do help a little bit. I do believe the high mileage oils are better if you want to do 5k drains instead of 3k, since they are semi synthetic oils technically.

A recent issue of Lubes-n-Greases had a article on the high mileage oils and Valvoline (holding 80% of the HM market) attributes them to padding their bottom line quite nicely. They didn't mention the benefits of using such a product but they sure were pleased with the results of the marketing.

After reading this article I have chosen to pass on their application and stick with what I've used and had good success with.

when I used Castrol's High Mileage oil on my 88 Lincoln Town Car my oil consumption dropped to at least 1/2 of what it was previous using regular oil of the same weight. It was no fluke for me, the difference was very dramatic and showed up very early into the oil change. I was very pleased with the results as my car's consumption was getting a bit high. I don't know about any of the hype stuff like seal conditioning but my car sure does use less of that oil as compared to other oils. I think the thicker viscosity is worth something, plus I think it is a slightly higher grade of oil perhaps some group 3 in it. I definitely recommend this oil for anyone that is concerned about oil consumption problems.

Joey

[ April 25, 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

On the label it says to use the high mileage after 75,000 miles. My vehicle is almost at 64k miles. Is it ok to use the high mileage oil in my '95 Taurus SHO?
Thanks...

quote:

Originally posted by mingchi96:
how about using high mileage motor oils.. for new cars?? cant be bad right??

mingchi, I used Maxlife in my '99 Maxima when I only had 30,000 miles on it. No problems at all. Actually ran smoother. I didn't have any consumption problems so there is nothing to report with the HM oil in the engine.

I'd use a double dose of AutoRX and then go back to running a regular petroleum oil. I think it will be much more effective in restoring performance and reducing oil consumption in a high mileage engine.

TooSlick

Isn't the main thing about the so-called oils for high-mileage engines the fact that they go to the upper end of the viscosity range, thereby give up the Energy Savings label, and sometimes add seal conditioners? And, charge a lot more.

Ken

Ken2, I think it's a combination of things:

1) Moly (like the original Max-Life)

2) Esters (to condition seals, reduce leaking)

3) Higher viscosity.

I think the first 2 things are the most important ... although moly is becoming a common ingredient in all motor oils.

My friend liked the first batches of Max-Life he tried (my recommendation at the time) and then he continued buying the stuff despite the fact that I warned him that the moly was taken out of the formula over a year ago and sure enough, the noises in his engine, once muted by the oil, returned again.
frown.gif

He then (again, at my suggestion) switched to Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle formulation and got the same results he remembered from the first batch of Max-Life.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Pennzoil High Mileage 5w-30 stopped just about all the leaks and oil burning on 5.0L V8. Auto-Rx seems to have stopped everything.

I will only use HM oils from now on. I am a believer.

I tried Castrol High Mileage 10w30 in a Gm 3.1 V6 that was leaking from the rear valve cover and oil pan gasket. I was COMPLETELY
gr_eek2.gif
suprised to see that the car didn't leak a drop during the 3k mile interval. As soon as I put the M1 10w30 back in it started leaking again. I ran the Castrol HM untill I could find time to change gaskets. Those gaskets were brittle after 13 years on the car.

[ April 27, 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: 1maniac ]

I've recently bought an 87 Accord with 140,000 miles on it. I'm fairly sure the previous owner was using Castrol High Mileage formula since he bought the car (w/ 100,000 miles on it) and on the recommendation of some people, and info from this board, I've switched to Pennzoil High Mileage (10W-30) The car doesn't seem to burn or leak any oil. And I hesitate to use something as powerful as Auto-Rx out of fear of it removing the stuff that's holding the engine together.

Anyhow, if the car survives the next few oils changes over the coming year, I think I'll do a VOA and a UOA on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back