Went to Home Depot today for a few pieces of lumber. Fainted, then had to take out a home loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no oversupply. Ever since 2008, construction hasn't been very strong so not only is there minimal inventory, there hasn't even been that much new construction for sale.

Are you invested in anything now? If there's a crash, it would take you down a few notches. I think I was down as much as 40% at one point at the low but still ended up taking a good beating in 2008. Got a good one in 2000 also, but I had started in the mid 90's so had a good run up to 2000 and even after the drop in 2000, I was still ahead from where I started in the mid 90s. At least I avoided the drop in the early 90s. The mid 90s also had a couple years where the market was up 20-30%. Anyway, my point is not to wait for the next crash, the run up from now til the next crash will probably still put you ahead even if there is a crash. I remember in the mid 90s that they kept saying that the market was going to crash, about 4 years in row. When it finally did, it didn't crash back down to levels it was at in the prior 4 years.
I didn’t say there was an oversupply yet. It is building towards it. Everywhere around here has been building like mad for the last 10 years and isn’t slowing down at all. Now the material prices are running up so soon the builders will be broke.

I have a decent retirement savings going but am far enough out from retirement that any crash will be regained and then some like it was after 2008. I was working in construction in the early to mid 2000s and that was rough finding work.

The actual market crashes don’t affect most people. The build up and ripples after get the masses.

When you are in the lowest tax bracket, the consequences are probably minimal.

Their votes are bought with (other) taxpayer's money. Or money borrowed that future generations will still be paying interest, but no principle. The debt never goes down because no principle is ever paid. I think we are up to 7% of Federal Spending is interest on the debt.
Welcome to 2021, every nation on earth is doing that now. It is a QE arm race.

Thanks, but I pay taxes according to the tax laws. I give directly to causes I believe in, such as education and supporting the less fortunate.
I do believe the tax structure is unfair, but that's just my 2 cents.
And you and I can do that, often more effectively by keeping more of what we make and donating to causes that we believe are deserving of our resources.

This truth doesn't change because someone make a billion.

The worst place for any dollar to go, from the richest or the poorest is to a politician who will use it to advance his or her career.

This isn't a political observation, it's an observation about human nature and what people tend to do with money that they didn't work for.

Politicians certainly don't work for the taxes extracted from any of us, rich or poor. They just vote on laws to take and expect we'll be happy about it. Or at least not be so unhappy as to actually do something about it.

I have been very careful this year with tenant selection, basically I was waiting for the perfect tenants and keep the good tenants with a lot of incentive, and left my unit vacants instead of renting to any iffy tenants (single mom in the middle of a divorce, people with unstable income from restaurant business, low income family with teenagers, low income family with fancy cars, people with too low of a credit score obviously), a lot of them I would have accepted back in the normal times but with eviction ban I'm being extra careful, sorry I am not helping you out when I might end up holding the bag. However if you are a perfect candidate I will give you a hefty discount whether you are current or new tenants. It is expensive to be poor.
I've found that the best predictors of tenants being able to pay depends on credit score and what's in their bank accounts. The ones that had 5 digits or more in their bank account always paid on time.

Because you guys keep sending the addicts our way with free one way bus pass ....
I'm just sitting in my log cabin in the woods in New Hampshire. I have no bent. Just Observations.
I hate team sports. I am not on or promote any team. Maybe since I was an only child I don't understand the concept or the need.
I find they foment bad things.

LOL

Google is the last search engine I would use.

And the New York Times puts out more spin than an MLB pitcher using Spider Tack.

LOL

No bias from the NY times...
OK, you do not like the source; I'm good with that. What numbers do you take issue with?
I am under the impression there is little question about who owns the stock market... I may be wrong.
Perhaps you might show some differing numbers from what you consider a reputable source?
I love to learn, and if in fact those numbers are bogus, I would like to know.

Here is Forbes take on stock ownership, which supports numbers I posted from the Times article.
Here's Reuters

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
@JeffKeryk Don't worry there are sane people on here that just choose to sit out some of the nonsense.
This thread is well off the rails.
I welcome being corrected where I am wrong. All good.
Actually, I am curious as to what numbers may be incorrect, as the values I posted are not in question AFAIK.

Again. all good.

Last edited:
@JeffKeryk Don't worry there are sane people on here that just choose to sit out some of the nonsense.
This thread is well off the rails.
Yeah, the ones not sane say they don't trust the numbers from a particular source but can't say why those numbers are wrong. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Yeah, it's the "not sane" people who think it's a bad idea to continually print money, devaluing the Dollar further, rampant inflation, and saddling current and future generations with a bleaker future...

:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's the "not sane" people who think it's a bad idea to continually print money, devaluing the Dollar further, rampant inflation, and saddling current and future generations with a bleaker future...

:rolleyes:
I agree with this to a large extent as I have posted. I only want to add detail. There is is a distinction between reasons for printing money.
Generalizations are misleading.

If anyone lacks the common sense to understand that if 'Money' is continually printed, with nothing to back it up other than pie-in-the-sky promises, which inevitably leads to every "Dollar" being worth less, and the subsequent inflation, then I'd suggest they go back and study Jr. High economics.
Fun fact. That vast majority of "money" floating around in the system is actually bank generated debt payable in USD rather than physical US currency. Banks issue credit "out of thin air" and that credit is used to pay salaries, buy goods/services etc.

Another fun fact: The laws of economics haven't changed. There's still no free lunch.

At some point the serious consequences of our National Debt spiraling out of control, will effect us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back