Went from Android to iOS

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Well, I went to the other side. My Galaxy s8 plus battery started to get flaky after 3 years of faithful service and I had a choice to make.
My primary motivator was that apple started to crack down on third party privacy. Now I’m fully aware that apple collects all of the data just like android, but unlike android, apple at least promises to have much better control over it.

Overall I think it’s a wash. Both systems have their pluses and minuses.
iOS does have more annoyances IMO, like connectivity options, or lack of them. Or how they don’t have a Go Back gesture that doesn’t require reaching to the edge of the screen.

Notifications system is another thing that needs major improvement. It lacks behind android and they both suck when compared to my ancient Blackberry Z30 running BB10 system. That notification system was superb

At least there is iCloud Drive available for windows, so I’m not totally out of options when it comes to transferring files.

They did nail the Face ID though. I’m very impressed with it. I thought it would be annoying in a lot of situations, but quite frankly it works extremely well.

I'm not a huge fan of iOS. Work switched us all over to iPhones a year and a half ago and I still can't get used to it. Face ID is terrible. It unlocks when I don't want it to and it's useless when wearing a face mask. Notifications are worthless too. Settings are buried in locations you wouldn't expect them, no back button is a major annoyance. I've also had some weird bugs, I answer a call and it goes to the in call screen but continues to ring. I also can't figure out the ringer, one call it's silent and the next it's screaming out the name of the caller.

I'm not a huge fan of iOS. Work switched us all over to iPhones a year and a half ago and I still can't get used to it. Face ID is terrible. It unlocks when I don't want it to and it's useless when wearing a face mask. Notifications are worthless too. Settings are buried in locations you wouldn't expect them, no back button is a major annoyance. I've also had some weird bugs, I answer a call and it goes to the in call screen but continues to ring. I also can't figure out the ringer, one call it's silent and the next it's screaming out the name of the caller.
Make sure these features are turned on. And you can set up an alternate appearance wearing a mask.

68494BCF-33D8-479B-98A7-D85FD6385544.jpeg

I also can't figure out the ringer, one call it's silent and the next it's screaming out the name of the caller.

I had been having problems with people phoning me but my phone not ringing. Then if they phoned back within three minutes, my phone would ring. Found the fix by accident. I have an iPhone SE (second generation).

My phone is now set as follows.

Go to “Do Not Disturb” and switch off.

Down further, I have “Repeated Calls” switched on.

Don’t know if there is a better setting as I am a tech dummy, but no more problems.

I also can't figure out the ringer, one call it's silent and the next it's screaming out the name of the caller.

Switch off Attention Aware Features. KrisZ posted the FaceID menu on where to disable it. PITA feature that will lower your ringer volume when your phone is face up at any ringer volume.

Disable "Announce Calls" in the Phone menu since that feature allows Siri to butcher out the callers name.

I decided to cement myself into iOS after fooling around with various phone OS's. iPhone OS 3, Windows Phone 7, Symbian^3, Android, then back to Apple.

LOL at the Similar threads where top post is from OP.

I decided to cement myself into iOS after fooling around with various phone OS's. iPhone OS 3, Windows Phone 7, Symbian^3, Android, then back to Apple.

LOL at the Similar threads where top post is from OP.

Flame me for this, but my favorite device at the moment is the moto g power with Microsoft launcher. It's my personal device and it just does everything gracefully. A real pleasure to use.

I've had two iPhones; a 4 and a 5S before I switched to Android. Started with the Google Nexus 5, followed by the Nexus 6 and then onto Samsung with the S8+, S10+ and now the S21 Ultra. Of course, back in the day, there was also Symbain with the older Nokias. Having said that, both operating systems have their ups and downs, but I've personally gotten so used to Android, it's become my "go-to".

Welcome to the iOS side!
After over 2 decades of Windows and almost hating Apple, I went to the Apple side about 2 years ago. Oh my god, I saw the light!

Ill never go back, I see you are having some issues but you will get used to it.
Reasons I switched both from Windows and Android
1. Over bloated Windows system
2. I also hate Android and Google -most big tech, its principle which most people could care less about. Its about privacy, which no other big tech company cares about except Apple.
3. Bloated Wild West Android system with Zero privacy all in the name of free

What I love about Apple;
1. QUALITY top notch hardware
2. Terrific operating system, just plain works and fast as heck
3. No more Android on my phone and windows on my desk top. EVERYTHING is integrated across my platforms. Iphone, Mac Desktop, Mac Laptop, I can use any of the devices and seamlessly integrated in the cloud. No effort on my part.
4. There is only one pro privacy major world tech company and it stands alone, that company is APPLE. This is big to me.
I much rather pay for programs and software then get them for free from the other systems out there but not only that, they turn out quality products so its just a matter of picking out what you like vs the other systems and hope you dont get stuck with a lemon..
5. All my devices mentioned work flawless and fast as heck.

Finally I am at a point in my life where I am fine paying a little bit more for quality products and most of all supporting a company that promotes privacy. But my rant is also about how everything just works correctly. Its the future, computers aren't rocket science anymore, everyday people dont need to upgrade their systems, buy it, use it and your done. I know there are hobbyists out there and IT people who need expansion capabilties, if so you will need to pay a lot more in the Apple world.

Someone is bound to flame me on this post, I wont reply, these are the reasons I personally will never, ever go back to Windows or Android, done, finished. Its been 2years or so on some devices and 1+ on others and a few months on my laptop, my experience with APPLE on my desktop, laptop and iPhone has been excellent. Fast, intergrated, quality products with a look the same.

What other major CEO has made this speech about privacy? Ha, None ! Click!

Im REALLY looking forward to Spring when Apple is going to allow you to stop apps from whoring out your personal data.... another Apple privacy first, has the advertising industry in a tizzy.
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/01/apple-rejecting-app-updates-tracking-transparency/

Anyway, all entitled to our reasons why we purchase, this is mine...
I find it amazing how people just allow it, succumb to it and accept it as the norm and that is ok, as long as its informed which until apples update, it is not and never will be on Android.

Last edited:
Welcome to the iOS side!
After over 2 decades of Windows and almost hating Apple, I went to the Apple side about 2 years ago. Oh my god, I saw the light!

Ill never go back, I see you are having some issues but you will get used to it.
Reasons I switched both from Windows and Android
1. Over bloated Windows system
2. I also hate Android and Google -most big tech, its principle which most people could care less about. Its about privacy, which no other big tech company cares about except Apple.
3. Bloated Wild West Android system with Zero privacy all in the name of free

What I love about Apple;
1. QUALITY top notch hardware
2. Terrific operating system, just plain works and fast as heck
3. No more Android on my phone and windows on my desk top. EVERYTHING is integrated across my platforms. Iphone, Mac Desktop, Mac Laptop, I can use any of the devices and seamlessly integrated in the cloud. No effort on my part.
4. There is only one pro privacy major world tech company and it stands alone, that company is APPLE. This is big to me.
I much rather pay for programs and software then get them for free from the other systems out there but not only that, they turn out quality products so its just a matter of picking out what you like vs the other systems and hope you dont get stuck with a lemon..
5. All my devices mentioned work flawless and fast as heck.

Finally I am at a point in my life where I am fine paying a little bit more for quality products and most of all supporting a company that promotes privacy. But my rant is also about how everything just works correctly. Its the future, computers aren't rocket science anymore, everyday people dont need to upgrade their systems, buy it, use it and your done. I know there are hobbyists out there and IT people who need expansion capabilties, if so you will need to pay a lot more in the Apple world.

Someone is bound to flame me on this post, I wont reply, these are the reasons I personally will never, ever go back to Windows or Android, done, finished. Its been 2years or so on some devices and 1+ on others and a few months on my laptop, my experience with APPLE on my desktop, laptop and iPhone has been excellent. Fast, intergrated, quality products with a look the same.

What other major CEO has made this speech about privacy? Ha, None ! Click!

Im REALLY looking forward to Spring when Apple is going to allow you to stop apps from whoring out your personal data.... another Apple privacy first, has the advertising industry in a tizzy.
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/01/apple-rejecting-app-updates-tracking-transparency/

Anyway, all entitled to our reasons why we purchase, this is mine...
I find it amazing how people just allow it, succumb to it and accept it as the norm and that is ok, as long as its informed which until apples update, it is not and never will be on Android.
Hah if you think apple cares about your privacy you are dreaming.

Flame me for this, but my favorite device at the moment is the moto g power with Microsoft launcher. It's my personal device and it just does everything gracefully. A real pleasure to use.
+1
Love the huge battery!
Adding to this... it is a genuine bargain at it's price point. Is this phone way too cheap or are all the other phones way too expensive?

Hah if you think apple cares about your privacy you are dreaming.
Got to love YouTube wanna be's. You do know there is a YouTube both positive and negative for everything on earth. DO your research and choose carefully if you care about privacy and rights. I could care less what anyone chooses, Apple is a world leader regarding privacy vs anything google, Facebook, android ya da ya da ... if you care about privacy.

Last edited:
I thought about switching to iOS a few months ago and actually did a trial run with the wife's old iPhone for a week or so. I was not impressed and switched back to my Sammysung S8 Active. I use a 3rd party messaging app (Textra) that I love love love and it's Android only. I also like the led blink alerts when I miss a call, finish charging etc. I had to be so careful with the iPhone when looking for more caller info, because I kept inadvertently calling when I just wanted to see who called me (or play voice mail).

It's probably like anything else though, once you get used to it, you will like it.

I will say that Apple's hardware is second to none.

Back