Well this is unfortunate ... (pet misfortune)

Woooo that's a huge incision.

Glad to hear a good outcome. I'd be a little more cautious with that conservative 6 days of "no jumping". I'd stretch it as long as you can. Our orders after the pacemaker were to remove everything in the room(s) we were going to confine the cat to that would allow her to jump on and potentially injure herself or dislodge the wiring/pacemaker/cause the incisions to bust.

So we took the bed in that room off the frame and put it on the floor, removed chairs, etc. Just a thought.

I wish you luck. This part of pet ownership sucks.

I had to put down my cat, who was 18 years old, last weekend. He had been on medication for a hyper thyroid for several years, and the medication wasn't really working well anymore. He lost a lot of weight and had a heart murmur which continued to worsen over time. When I took him there to put him down the vet said his heart function was very bad and he probably wouldn't last more than a couple more days anyway. He was tough as nails man, he had been through a lot.
I've often wondered what animals were thinking or if they were even reflecting on their current situation. They're our modern day knights from Monty Python. "Ugh..I've lost my arm, it's but a flesh wound...Is that all you've got!?.". lol

Woooo that's a huge incision.

Glad to hear a good outcome. I'd be a little more cautious with that conservative 6 days of "no jumping". I'd stretch it as long as you can. Our orders after the pacemaker were to remove everything in the room(s) we were going to confine the cat to that would allow her to jump on and potentially injure herself or dislodge the wiring/pacemaker/cause the incisions to bust.

So we took the bed in that room off the frame and put it on the floor, removed chairs, etc. Just a thought.
It's actually 2 weeks of no jumping so we're more than halfway there. They have their own room for one of two litterboxes which only contains a futon which has been lowered to the floor. This is where is spends most of his time as there's nothing for him to jump on. However, my wife hates having him cooped up so we'll let him walk the hallway and into our bedroom but not unsupervised. She's been with him constantly and we've spent most of our time with him when we're home.

Last edited:
It's actually 2 weeks of no jumping so we're more than halfway there. They have their own room for one of two litterboxes which only contains a futon which has been lowered to the floor. This is where is spends most of his time as there's nothing for him to jump on. However, my wife hates having him cooped up so we'll let him walk the hallway and into our bedroom but not unsupervised. She's been with him constantly and we've spent most of our time with him when we're home.
Will the Maine Coon be OK?

Will the Maine Coon be OK?
Yes, until he's not. The median survival rate on surgery alone is 3-12 months so based on the prognosis we may get 12 or more months. I'd be thrilled if we got 2 or more years out of him. He would be 13 yrs old at that point which is kind around the average lifespan of a MC.

Yes, until he's not. The median survival rate on surgery alone is 3-12 months so based on the prognosis we may get 12 or more months. I'd be thrilled if we got 2 or more years out of him. He would be 13 yrs old at that point which is kind around the average lifespan of a MC.
Our dog lasted 6 weeks and it came back. We had him put down at that point

Back