Well i did it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the switch to Amsoil synthetic after running Maxlife dino for almost the entire life of the car. I had a talk with someone from Amsoil on the phone and he and many others said synthetic won't cause it to leak if it doesn't leak already. Everything was fine for about 3 days.

This morning i walked out to the garage and as i was backing out noticed oil on the floor. So i cleaning it up and drove back in to check things out. I checked all the obvious things like the drain plug and oil filter. It seems to be leaking from the front of the engine somewhere but it isn't the valve covers. I don't think anyway.

So what options do i have now? If i switch back to the Maxlife will it still leak? I did notice the synthetic seemed alot thinner of an oil over the Maxlife. I was really hoping this Amsoil would work because i use there ATF in the tranny and it works very well. I also bought one of the new air filters and was surprised it seems to be almost an exact clone of Fram. Only thing different i could tell was the price. Hopefully that works better.

Thanks guys for any advice.
cheers.gif

The car has about 157k on it. Yeah it sounds like alot but i drive 200 miles a day for work 365 days a year. It would go through about a quart of oil every 3k miles with the Maxlife which is just normal consumption i have been told.

Both the Maxlife and Amsoil are 5w-30.

Is it the switch to synthetic on a high mile engine or is it the sudden removal of the "seal conditioners" in the high mileage oil? Both have been rumored. Or is it just a coincidence?

In this situation, I would probably just go back to the Maxlife and hope for the best.

switch back to maxlife and give it a while.

It would also be helpful if you jack up your car again and find out exactly where it is leaking from. If Amsoil is the cause, then you would likely find oil around the oil pan seals.

I guess it wasn't me you spoke to.

Which 5W-30?

What they told you is true. Synthetic will not cause a leak. Dollar to donuts you had a small, nearly invisble leak that was blocked by crud or and excessively swelled seal.
You should really find the location of the leak and fix it, but you can switch to whatever dino oil you want and do an AutoRx seal treatment.

Well the viscosity all three of Amsoil's 5W-30's are thinner than Maxlife but still synthetic always seems thinner than dino, because of the low temp properties of synthetic. Perceived viscosity is not related to leaks.

The EA air filter is not a Fram clone, despite the orange sealing foam. I assume the media is blue, correct?

I know everybody says your engine won't leak when you put in synthetic but there is just too much anecdotal information to the contrary for me to believe it. In my own case my GM 5.7L with 27K miles developed an intake manifold leak so bad that it took out the clutch. That being said, it never leaked anywhere else after the repair, not a drop.

It makes me sad whenever I read of this happening. Life was simple before but now you have to take some actions to remedy the situation. I'd probably go back to the Maxlife dino and start the Auto-RX treatment. If it keeps leaking after that, you'll have to replace the bad seal. On the bright side, this could be a new beginning for this engine: a cleaner future.

quote:

Originally posted by 94Acclaim3.0:
The car has about 157k on it. Yeah it sounds like alot but i drive 200 miles a day for work 365 days a year. It would go through about a quart of oil every 3k miles with the Maxlife which is just normal consumption i have been told.

Both the Maxlife and Amsoil are 5w-30.

My wifes 93 Chevy Lumina has had synthetic oil in it for some time. It leaked a bit when it had regular oil, and it got no worse, maybe better after the synthetic. It has over 200,000 miles and we went on a trip to Nebraska. Got 34.5 avg mpg and it was full (oil on dipstick) when we left SW Michigan, and nearly full when we got back. Even on other cars I have, a 1993 Buick PA and a 1996 Buick Park Avenue I have switched to synthetic and never had an increase of oil, leaking or consumption. I could go from oil change to oil change and not have to top up. '93 has 120,000 miles and the '96 has 147,000 miles on it when I changed it to synthetic. No leaks.

It could also be conincidental, and the leak may have started anyway, on this date, with or without synthetic.

It is a myth that syntetic causes seals to leak and is thinner. All you have to do is read the specs on it and see that for yourself. NO oil company, Amsoil, Mobil, Valvoline, etc would put out a synthetic oil that immediately caused seals to dry up and leaks to happen. If they did, they would never be selling any more synthetic oil, and they have way too much money involved in it for that to happen.

You left out how big the spot was on the floor. Are we talking a dime size or the exxon valdez spill? Also the visc. of a synthetic is thinner, but do not misunderstand the protection is still there and you do not need a 40, 50 weight for adequate protection. One more silly question is you did not spill any during the fill of oil did you?
cheers.gif

The spot on the floor was pretty big for just a leak. I would geuss about 1/8th of a quart.

Pablo here is a link to the oil i used. Not sure what kind of 5w-30 it is.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

I am going to go out and take a look at it now to try to find where it is leaking from. I got bad eyes though so this won't be easy. Especially i have no idea what half the stuff is lol. I can change my own oil and that's about it on cars.

I read up on the Auto RX and does it really stop seal leaks? Seems to good to be true. At this point i am willing to try almost anything.

quote:

Originally posted by 94Acclaim3.0:
I made the switch to Amsoil synthetic after running Maxlife dino for almost the entire life of the car. I had a talk with someone from Amsoil on the phone and he and many others said synthetic won't cause it to leak if it doesn't leak already. Everything was fine for about 3 days.

This morning i walked out to the garage and as i was backing out noticed oil on the floor...

Can't anyone see that this engine has a leaking problem and a long-term bad lubrication covered it?
94Acclaim3, there was dirtiness from the inside that covers the leak and when you install AMSOIL it took just 3 days to clean up the dirtiness and then started to leak. It seems that your engine is not so clean as you might imagine. This is a good thing for you to know that you have a leaking problem to fix. Of course you have to clean your engine but it seems that AMSOIL is already do this right now just by lubrication. You should be happy for your choice to move to synthetics. AMSOIL is a proven best synthetic producer.
Just look to fix the leaking ASAP and be thankful that AMSOIL reveals the problem before it would be too late. Keep yourself smart and keep on AMSOIL my friend.

This is a strange thread!
dunno.gif
In a previous thread you are selling 2 cases of Amsoil oil. one is a 10-30 XL and the other is a 5-30 XL, and you say " Yep they are both still available. I should mention they are the regular XL 5W-30 and 10W-30. Simple was looking for the turbo formulation or something.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlf.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlt.aspx

The links above show exactly what i have."

Now you say the other Amsoil 5-30 is exactly what you have? You sais " The spot on the floor was pretty big for just a leak. I would geuss about 1/8th of a quart.

Pablo here is a link to the oil i used. Not sure what kind of 5w-30 it is.

I am going to go out and take a look at it now to try to find where it is leaking from. I got bad eyes though so this won't be easy. Especially i have no idea what half the stuff is lol. I can change my own oil and that's about it on cars."

And, no, the Amsoil would not cause a leak of that magnitude. Something smells fishy here
nono.gif

[ August 24, 2006, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Nebraskan ]

You can drive your car onto a ramp or jack your car up, get under the car, and run your fingers around the oil pan seal and other suspecious areas. You can usually get pretty close to the leak that way.

1/8th of a quart is a pretty big leak, and I don't think switching back to the maxlife would stop the leak anytime soon. Either switch back to maxlife and AutoRX it, or get the seal fixed. To be honest, I don't recommend synthetics in your situtation. Even if you get the seal fixed, there might be other potential areas where it might leak.

Those 2 cases of oil in the other thread have nothing to do with this. I bought those a while ago and just sold them a couple weekends ago. The guy i sold them too had nothing but good things to say about Amsoil. Then i decided i wanted to switch after all and ordered 2 gallons of this 5w-30.

Sorry for the confusion i didn't know anyone would have looked at the other thread.

Back to the leak. I left paper under it for about 7 hours and i had just two smaller quarter size drops. It's leaking from 2 different areas.

One of the exhaust manifold bolts is covered in oil and there is also oil on the oil pan bolts. I'm thinking about draining it and trying the Maxlife to see how much it leaks still if any. I just hate to waste all that Amsoil but if it's leaking it going down the drain anyway. I can still use the Amsoil Eao oil filter with Maxlife right?

The oil you are using is a PAO. (Group IV)

It sounds like the leaks are at gaskets. Assuming they are snugged up and not torn, it is possible the leaks will slow with time as the seal conditioners begin to soak in.

Exhaust manifold bolt covered with oil?? Could be the valve cover gasket. You may have a competent mech. look at the car.

Yes you can keep the filter on. In fact it would be wise.

I appreciate your patience - I am curious why you didn't buy from me and get the free BITOG shipping.

There are seal compatibility issues from time to time, but only once in a blue moon depending on the seals. I would go back to the Maxlife and bump up to 10W-40 since you have 157,000 miles on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back