Weird private-label tire names

I saw the signs for them at PepBoys the other day BUT haven't seen them on any cars in a long time - Kelly Springfield (owned by Goodyear). When I was young I saw them often on cars and trucks, now?
KS was acquired by Goodyear at some point and now claims to be Goodyear's "budget" brand. I bought a set a couple years ago for one of my beaters.... No complaints here and the price was right. They were made in USA which I assumed to be at KS's Freeport IL plant but I noticed recently that plant now makes tractor tires for Goodyear... So more likely mine came from Tennessee.

And yeah..... Sumitomo is widely known.

KS was acquired by Goodyear at some point and now claims to be Goodyear's "budget" brand. I bought a set a couple years ago for one of my beaters.... No complaints here and the price was right. They were made in USA which I assumed to be at KS's Freeport IL plant but I noticed recently that plant now makes tractor tires for Goodyear... So more likely mine came from Tennessee.

I ran the KS Safari years ago - they were fine …

Brand names I’ve had.

Vredistein (spelling)
Englebert
Siberling NyTex
Vredistein is a totally legitimate tire manufacturer from Europe and in fact is over 100 years old. I believe they are represented by Apollo Tire in the USA. A buddy had a set of fat tires on a Duster 340. Brings back some memories.

I saw that on the WIKI page. I saw the signs a couple times at stations. Just saw it Pepboys the other day when it caught my eye. I don't frequent Pepboys that often. I just hadn't physically seen the tires on a vehicle in a long time. I recall the Kelly Super Charger as THE tire on all the muscle cars back when I was in middle and high school. One of my friends had at least 1 of the Safari's on his Isuzu Trooper.

Atlas was a line of tires sold back in the day by "Standard Oil" stations, Amoco, Chevron, Esso/Exxon and Sohio.
Blue Streak is what Goodyear called their racing tires before calling them Eagles. Provided they didn't let the trademark lapse, the "Blimp Boys" might have an infringement case

Haven’t been surprised by many of the tires posted in this thread, but I saw a used Chevy Express van for sale today with a set of Fortune Tormenta tires on it. That was a new one for me.

Not weird, but one I haven't seen in years: Armstrong is back. Semi trailer tire (capped by Oliver), made in Thailand.

Atlas was a line of tires sold back in the day by "Standard Oil" stations, Amoco, Chevron, Esso/Exxon and Sohio.
Blue Streak is what Goodyear called their racing tires before calling them Eagles. Provided they didn't let the trademark lapse, the "Blimp Boys" might have an infringement case
Atlas is still around,or was until recently.

Rather have brand new Chinese drive axle semi tires than retread junk.

3F7CC16A-E71D-4BBE-AB03-90AD7A00E1CA.jpeg

The summer after my first year in college I worked at an EJ Korvette tire center. It sold nothing but off brand tires. "Oh, that tire is made by Firestone/Goodyear/BFG" was a common sales trick. We sold a lot of Ajax Puncture Seal tires. JUNK!

Back