Weird brake noise after new wheel hub, bearing, calipers, brake pads and rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
When braking at higher speeds and locking the brakes there tends (not always) to be noise coming from the front.

It kind of sounds like a loud low pitch/bass noise. Not typical grinding or squealing noise with worn out brakes. No noise when turning.

Rotors look fine, doesn't seem uneven.

Ceramic Brake pads seem fine.

Caliper pins are lubed and moving on the slider pins.

I don't see any indication of metal on metal contact.

The only thing I notice on one wheel is that the caliper goes on just a little tight on one wheel.
Which would indicate the wheel hub is a little offset, maybe 1 mm, not sure.
But even with this very slight offset, would that really cause the noise?

I also notice that when moving the vehicle forward first time in the morning, there is a "click" that comes from the front, it only happens once.

Otherwise the car has been braking fine for months. The symptom has not changed though.

Last edited:
Did you use OEM parts for replacements?

IF you didn't, I would suspect the pads.
49.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo

49.gif

I disagree. There is no reason to use OEM brake pads (unless you get a great deal on them)

Originally Posted by tookien
It kind of sounds like a loud low pitch/bass noise. Not typical grinding or squealing noise with worn out brakes. No noise when turning.

Which would indicate the wheel hub is a little offset, maybe 1 mm, not sure. But even with this very slight offset, would that really cause the noise?

From the sound you describe, I'm going to guess wheel hub/bearing.

Unfortunately, new parts do not mean that they are good or operational.
Nowadays, when you change something, the part has to be tested due to almost no quality inspection at the factory.

It is not just the installation has to be correct but the part itself may not be good.

Originally Posted by Gebo

49.gif

Thanks. I will swap them and see if it improves.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Which would indicate the wheel hub is a little offset, maybe 1 mm, not sure. But even with this very slight offset, would that really cause the noise?

From the sound you describe, I'm going to guess wheel hub/bearing.

LOL really? The sound only happens when I engage the brakes at high speed.

No other noise while driving otherwise and there is no play on the wheels to indicate worn bearings.

These are the press in hub bearing type in the front.

Last edited:
Rotors are bolted to the hub/bearing assembly, right ? When you apply the brakes, the pads grab the rotor and if it's not installed completely square/true, it may twist out of concentricity to the bore.

Get an infrared temperature gun, do some high-speed braking and quickly check the temps of the center of the rotors (hoping any heat from the hub/bearing radiates through enough) and see what different temperatures you see. Otherwise, at least reinstall the "offset" wheel bearing assembly.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Rotors are bolted to the hub/bearing assembly, right ? When you apply the brakes, the pads grab the rotor and if it's not installed completely square/true, it may twist out of concentricity to the bore.

Get an infrared temperature gun, do some high-speed braking and quickly check the temps of the center of the rotors (hoping any heat from the hub/bearing radiates through enough) and see what different temperatures you see. Otherwise, at least reinstall the "offset" wheel bearing assembly.

Interesting. Honestly, I would never have thought this is possible though. The bolts for the whole caliper assembly are all fixed.

One other thing I want to mention is, the noise usually goes away after some driving.

Which makes me think these brake pads could indeed be faulty.

Is it possible that if the wheel hub is a little offset the pressure from the caliper would not be evenly applied on one side of the caliper and would make noise upon braking?

Remove the caliper, put the lug nuts on to hold the rotor tight against the hub, then rotate and check for runout (wobbling) at the edge of the rotor.

A simple static in-out offset would just have the caliper slide on the pins and compensate itself.

Originally Posted by mk378
Remove the caliper, put the lug nuts on to hold the rotor tight against the hub, then rotate and check for runout (wobbling) at the edge of the rotor.

A simple static in-out offset would just have the caliper slide on the pins and compensate itself.

Great. Will do that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mk378

Great. Will do that. Thanks.

if they are capped lugnuts you might have to use washer/spacer so they dont bottom out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back